Vaishnavi on Satyamev Jayate!

darshana23 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago

Aamir Khan's new show Satyamev Jayate has become the talk of the town. Praise and criticisms are both pouring in. In this scenario, Tellychakkar.com decided to talk to actors and producers from the Hindi television fraternity and quiz them about what they felt about this experiment of launching a chat show on pressing social issues across multiple channels (Star Plus, Star World, Star Network, regional channels and DD). Anas Rashid of Diya Aur Baati Hum was extremely happy with the concept and said, "Kudos to Aamir Khan for bringing such serious issues, like female foeticide, to centre stage. We all know about it, but don't want to do anything. I hope Mr Khan's genuine presentation will compel people to give up their lethargy and do something about it. Time has come for a change. Did Anna Hazare not launch a huge movement to fight corruption?"

Anas further said, "Satyamev Jayate has already touched people's hearts. My dad and mom were in tears after watching the first episode. I also feel that the time has come for entertainment to be re-oriented, you can't just show any crap. It also needs to have a proper message, which goes out along as well."

Vaishnavi Dhanraj, seen in Na Aana Iss Des Laado, opined, "It is great that a celeb like Mr Khan will force people to think. Also the fact that the show also airs on Doordarshan will ensure that really poor villages in Haryana, where such things go on, will get penetrated. However, the sad part is that educated families in many other states also do the same for fear of paying dowry. We need to understand that today the girl often takes better care of her family then her brother, yet we kill the same child before even she is born as the poor thing is unable to carry forward the family legacy."

Gaurav Chopraa, on the other hand, stated a bit more circumspectly, "Agreed that Aamir will ensure an opening, but we need to wait and watch till the seventh and eight episode before calling it a success. And the big thing is that will it really lead to a change on the ground, given the fact that we Indians are very wary of real action. We just love to take out candle light vigils and do BBM forwards but nothing more."

Well-known producer Abhigyan Jha shared that there is no problem at all with heavy duty emotion. "We do enough humor on Jay Hind and The Late Night Show. Aamir can do something heavy to balance it out." He also rejected the notion of simulcasting as new. "It is an idea I have been proposing since 2001 when I was heading Mudra Videotec, but Mr Khan has been able to bulldoze Star into doing it."

Furthermore, Sargun Mehta said it was really brave on part of Aamir Khan to try a risky concept. "He has done full justice to it and has not resorted to any gimmick or other cheap forms of entertainment." She also did not have any issue with the show's hour and a half long duration. "Mr Khan has a pleasing personality and he held the show together really well."

Gurmeet Choudhary (Punar Vivah) said about the show, "I have loved the show for its projection, narration and reach. We needed a brand ambassador as strong as Aamir Khan to strengthen the awareness and curiosity level. Because of his credibility as an actor, person and a maker, many more people made it a point to watch the first episode and none was disappointed. More people saw it. And an age old issue was noticed so hugely and Sunday morning is not the wrong time slot. A good show has the capability to create new prime time bands of their own. As for my personal feelings, girls are a blessing to the mankind in general."

Finally, Saumya Tandon closed the debate with her poignant quote which summed up the whole proceeding, "Satyamev Jayate is an earnest attempt to raise issues and give a message. But when I speak to people or go to social networking sites, people are stirred, moved or concerned more about Aamir Khan than the issue. Funny and sad."

Hmm…there is no doubt that Aamir has struck a chord with the masses. You may like his show or hate it, but certainly can't ignore it.