TOI: Leapside story of tellywood

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
'

The leapside story of telly shows

Amrita Mulchandani, TNN | Jun 7, 2011, 12.00am IST

Move over dramatic twists and turns in storylines on television shows. It's time to say 'cut' and there is a time leap wherein young characters grey within a week or even a day's time.

And the funda of introducing time leaps in shows seems to be working numbers so far as grabbing attention is concerned. What's interesting is that while the time span of the leaps vary from 'short' (one-seven years) to the usual generation leaps (15-20 years), the purpose of introducing the leap, however, remains the same — to break the monotony in the plot, by roping in new characters and newer twists and turns.

If the story demands a leap, it gets reflected in the forthcoming episodes feel many. Producer and writer Raakesh Paswan of Baba Aiso Var Dhundho says, "Leaps are a natural progression to take the story further and make it more interesting. Audiences mostly enjoy the drama and elements which come post the leap. The reason for a leap may vary depending on the show and the creative team. Nevertheless, the story has to hold the interest of viewers."

On why is it important to include leaps in shows, writer Purnendu Shekhar of Balika Vadhu says, "Leaps are important for a story to continue. If we are taking about soaps with longer shelf lives, then introducing leaps becomes imperative to keep the storyline fresh and crisp. Moreover, short leaps can happen only if one has a subplot which fits well into the story. In the past longer leaps were used in shows to introduce the next generation allowing the show to look younger."

For actors who are part of show undergoing such transformation, is it difficult to mould oneself into an older character? Actor Muskan James, lead of Mata Ki Chowki says, "It's a different feeling playing a mother of girls who are five years elder to me in real life. But playing a mother when one is 22 is not that easy. If the audience is able to relate me to the character I play, that's fine with me. Personally, I don't feel a leap is important, what matters is a strong storyline."

Actor Manasi Parekh Gohil is also comfortable doing her role post leap. "The eight year leap has added a freshness and a new look to the show I am doing. My character in Gulaal has matured now. It is certainly a breather because after a certain point, the audiences don't like the stories to be stretched out," says Manasi.

On the other hand, there aren't many actors who are willing to be a part of the show post leap. Actor Natasha Sharma from Naa Aana Is Des Laado quit the show because of a leap track. "I wanted to stay in the show till the end as it began with me, but I wasn't comfortable being a part of the show post leap as I had to be a mother of two girls who were almost my age in real life. In films it is fine but in shows once you have played a mother no one offers younger roles. Having a leap is the creative team's decision but it doesn't favour a young actor's career," says Natasha.

As long as the viewer gets to see fresh faces and interesting plots unravel through the leaps, shows will have a good time experimenting with content with the creative team doing more brainstorming for that cut apart content.

Leap Forward
Pyaar Ki Yeh Ek Kahani — 1 year leap
Mata Ki Chowki —18 year leap
Choti Bahu — 20 year leap
Yahaaan Main Ghar Ghar Kheli —1 year leap
Gulaal — 8 year leap
Balika Vadhu — 4 year leap
Na Aana Is Des Laado — 20 year leap
Baba Aiso Var Dhundho — 7 year leap
Phulwa, Pavitra Rishta and Chandragupta Maurya plan leaps soon

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Moner_Radio thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
ya dats true, but i'm sceptical abt d aftr effects of leap in d show Chandra Gupta Maurya, i'm also active in dat forum & every1 der is dead against d leap, including myself. every1 wants d present cast of kids to continue for sum tym more in d show, no1 wants d leap so soon. sum r even thinking of leaving d forum if d leap takes place so soon.
disha111 thumbnail
i think a leap destroy the original flavour and the storyline as a exemple NAIDL.the show is become boring and also lost is trp, because viwers luv to see aditya natasha chemistry and nw the nu actors are not able to fulfill thier space
pooja123456 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
naidl took an 18 yr leap not 20
poetic thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks Armu for sharing the article.
Well, the article is stunted in the sense it doesn't do a SWOT of the issue. Leaps are always not good for all Shows - sometimes it works out and soemtimes it doesn't.
Depends on a variety of factors - and the stories are always not fresh even after a Leap.
Am glad that Natasha is out of this - what would anyone do with a 20 years leap when the story changes a lot?