Education = Enlightenment?

IntrovertedDame thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
Is being educated equal to being enlightened?

I have posed this q because NAIDL is abt female infanticide, and many educated families, even today want male heirs. So, what do u guys think?
Edited by AMRUTHANAG - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

simran1285 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
I agree though education is crucial it does not have any value when parents continue the merciless killing of female children. Our Indian society no matter how hard we try continues to believe that boys are better than girls because they can carry the family name. It boggles me and I wonder when you are dead is anybody even going to care whether your name is being continued or not?
Even the educated class today want at least one son no matter how many abortions the female has to go through to achieve it. It disgusting but sad, because today it has been proven that sons do not care for their parents as they used to. There is a reason for the growing number of nursing/elderly homes.
Anurulz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
there are way too many educated families also who indullge in female infanticide even in metros..or else end up having God knows how many kids till they have a son..when i was an intern and was in sonography dept,u wudnt believe how many educated,english speaking women would ask for the gender of the baby inspite the huge big poster in the room which mentions tht its a crime in every language possible..and no amt of sarcasm or scoldings make a diff to them..finally i told one woman tht since its illegal,now they have stopped teaching it to us how to determine the gender..
IntrovertedDame thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Absolutely right! So what is the education imparted to us really do? NOTHING.

All that matters in such situations is our own values and beliefs. There is an urgent need for a healthy attitude against such social evils.
Edited by AMRUTHANAG - 14 years ago
Anurulz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
very true..bt the sad part is tht other than education nothing else even comes close to changing people's attitude..coz people become blind and delusional when it comes to their own beliefs no matter how much one tries..atleast wid education a part of people try to adapt healthier attitudes..