Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

one2none thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

The Gotra concept goes all the way back to Vedic period in History. We are all supposed to be heirs of different Rishis. Each Gotra represents each Rishi.

People within the same gotra are regarded as part of the same family. So marrying within the same gotra is prohibited, since people with same gotra are considered to be siblings. It probably was more meant to avoid any medical blood disorder problems which is common if marrying within the family.

sweet_jindagi thumbnail
in simple language gotra is the surname....
one2none thumbnail

No it does not Same surname mean same Kul. Marriage is allowed in the same surname or Kul. But not allowed in same gotra becuase they share the same family tree.

Gotra has nothing to do with surname.
sweet_jindagi thumbnail
no in haryana gotra means surname and you can't marry in same surname household.... i belong to proper haryana village so i better know about this... we are jats and also i share the same surname sangwan... so in us we can't marry the same surname sangwan... and we can't marry the guy if his mother or grand mother is of surname sangwan... we have to leave three gotras first of boys, second his mother's and third his grand mother's....
one2none thumbnail
Wow, good to know. It is different than how it is among us. I am from UP and we can marry within the same surname \ Kul \ Gharana which is family \ cast driven name, but can not marry within the same Gotra which is by birth determines the ancestor Rishi of a family. It is supposed to come from father's Gotra and not the mother.
Now it makes sense coz I was thinking that Dheeraj is from different family so he might have different Gotra (which he got from his Father). But actually per Haryana culture he and Jhumar share the gotra.
Thanks for sharing...
mvatsa thumbnail
Hi
Surname is not same as Gotra, but if some casts people use Gotra as their surname also. Marriages can happen in same surnames but not is same gotra, as you can say Sharma is surname and there are many gotras like kaushik, bhardwaj and parashar etc. so any kaushik, bhardwaj and parashar can use his/her gotra as surname of all can use Sharma. Same in the case of guptas all guptas are baniya but they have different gotras. Anyways watsoever same Gotra means siblings and i.e. enought for not marrying. So this is the issue. I hope u won'd mind. thanks
sweet_jindagi thumbnail

Originally posted by: mvatsa

Hi

Surname is not same as Gotra, but if some casts people use Gotra as their surname also. Marriages can happen in same surnames but not is same gotra, as you can say Sharma is surname and there are many gotras like kaushik, bhardwaj and parashar etc. so any kaushik, bhardwaj and parashar can use his/her gotra as surname of all can use Sharma. Same in the case of guptas all guptas are baniya but they have different gotras. Anyways watsoever same Gotra means siblings and i.e. enought for not marrying. So this is the issue. I hope u won'd mind. thanks

you are absolutly right but in haryana we use our gotras as our surname... so tht was the confusion...
roshaaan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
thanks alot guys ..... thank u soo much