Meghna Malik: Re-vamping her career

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 15 years ago
Meghna Malik: Re-vamping her career

After starring in numerous films and theatre productions, Meghna Malik decided to take up a television offer. And her wicked character Ammaji in Na Aana Iss Des: Laado, which deals with female infanticide, is creating havoc on the small screen. But surprisingly, even with her evil avatar, the actress gets hugged – and by children that too! - when she's out and about. We caught up with Meghna to find out more.

Why did you decide to take up a TV offer?
This is a great role. I have been doing films and theatre so far. I was a student of NSD (National School of Drama) before I came to Mumbai. Though I did films, my roles were not major ones. When I heard about this role, I felt that it would be very interesting and challenging. Nothing like this has been done on TV till date. Ammaji's character has been written very well; she is thought-provoking. The subject of the serial is interesting too and the character tempted me into accepting the part.

What do you know about female infanticide?
I am aware that it still exists in our society. I have seen families who curse girls. I have not come across any incidents of female infanticide but I have read many books and articles on the subject. These evil practices are still rampant and the figures are shocking.

How did you prepare for the role?
I researched the topic and came to know that female infanticide is not only followed by people in the North but down South too. As far as acting is concerned, having done theatre, it was not tough for me. I lived in Delhi for years so I am familiar with the lingo (Haryanvi), even though I've never spoken it before. Also, I rehearse on the sets to get the body language right. I envisioned my character: she is powerful and the whole village surrenders her. With my mind set for the role, I know how to act the part.

What kind of responses are you getting for your evil role?
I am the luckiest vamps on TV! I have never come across anyone who says that I am bad. In fact, people have complimented me for my role. I am glad that they know that I am an actress and Ammaji is just my character. In reality, I am not at all like her. Surprisingly, kids come up to me and hug me when I go out! The audience loves my character which is a good thing; a few of them even came up to me and touched my feet! It was embarrassing and funny.

Don't you think that Ammaji in Na Aana Iss Des: Laado is too explicit?
In the promos, an infant is shown being thrown in boiling milk. But that wasn't to hurt anyone's sentiments. The channel wouldn't air anything that is objectionable. It is a sensitive issue and I think they are handling it very sensibly. We are not promoting any evil. In fact, we are trying to spread awareness about this subject.

There is criticism that after saas bahu dramas made their way out, issue-based shows on the girl child are saturating television.
See, TV always follows a hit formula. When Balika Vadhu launched, it became a hit and others followed. Earlier, it was the same with family dramas. But, if what's airing is a subject that touches the hearts of audiences then why not? Channels will always show what is working. If a topic like this is making people more aware, it is a good thing.

Do you see any similarity between your character in Na Aana Iss Des: Laado and Dadisa of Balika Vadhu?
Comparisons should not be made but they are inevitable as these two women are the head of their families. But my character is different. Ammaji not only heads her house, she is also mukhiya of her village. She is interested in politics and the village surrenders to her. She is very demanding and has a lot of strength. On the other hand, Dadisa is ready to do anything for her family. She is very traditional. Ammaji rides a horse, uses guns; I guess she is more powerful. I have seen Balika and I like Surekha Sikri's work; she is a very talented actress.

Meghna has starred in movies such as Chalte Chalte, Kuch Na Kaho, Vastu Shastra and Taare Zameen Par.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/May/News_20090509_41

• Sonali Joshi/Hill Road Media
  • Saturday, May 09, 2009