Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

meghaparti thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 14 years ago

Deja vu time for TV shows

Whether it is subjugation of women, the idea of the 'perfect' housewife, non-existent heroes or even the ghunghat clad bahu brigade 'TV has successfully played its role in all these areas. House confined bahus and betis, without any individuality, face all the acts of their family members by being mere voiceless entities. Idealism on Indian television today has being reset at a high altitude. It's no surprise then that after one set of stereotypes from the Tulsi-Pravati era, which seems long gone, comes another that seems to have flooded the idiot box.

Ghunghat ki aad se: Flipping through channels at any point in time, one will definitely come across women with loads of sindoor, heavy saris and ghunghats firmly placed on their heads. So much so, for the uninitiated, the shows might all appear to be the same. Balika Vadhu, Uttaran, Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai, Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai, Choti Bahu, and Pratigya ' the list just goes on and on. If one were to see the heroines without their mandatory ghunghats, then recognising them would be a tall order.

Bad's better: Maybe it's just the way the characters are written, but bad is certainly better on the idiot box. If the lead actors are mere caricatures who have to shed tears by the buckets, then the villains who actually make for better viewing. Ammaji is the prime focus in Laado..., who is Sia anyway? Archana's mother-in-law hogs the limelight in Pavitra Rishta while the daughter-in-law is somewhere around, crying may be. Loha Singh in Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo evokes more interest than the hero, Shekhar. Need we say more?

Hero? Where's he?: Ever since the saga of soaps on Indian television began, it's the heroine who has been the hero in the true sense. Though there is a male lead to fill in the blanks, it's his female counterpart who has the meatier parts in the show. Why do guys get the raw deal? How many of you actually remember characters like Alekh, Ranvir (Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai), Naitik (Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai), Sooryakamal (Do Hanso Ka Joda), Shekhar (Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo), Karan (Yahan Main Ghar Ghar Kheli), Manav (Pavitra Rishta), Abhi (12/24 Karol Bagh), Vinay (Bhagyavidhaata), Raghav (Na Ana Is Des Mere Laado). Chances are they'll probably be relegated to being romantic props...

High point weddings: If there is to be a major twist in the drama, what better way to introduce one than by planning an elaborate wedding sequence? Indian television is not done with excesses. A major change in the protagonist's life happens only during wedding sequences. Ichcha and Tapasya's lives turn topsy turvy at the wedding. Manav and Archana are separated just as their shaadi is complete. A double murder takes place in Agle Janam during Ratna's nuptial are just a few examples. The trend that started with Mihir's much-talked about return in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi during Tulsi and Anupam's wedding, is still continuing today.

Socially relevant: All shows begin with a bang by saying they are socially relevant 'child marriage, female infanticide, intercast marriages, colour prejudices etc. But seven to eight months later, the storyline is anything but what it started off being. Jyoti started off as a story of a middle class girl being the sole breadwinner of the family. What she is doing right now is anyone's guess. Instead of fighting child marriages, Balika Vadhu is focusing on an old flame. Surrogate motherhood in Agle Janam is replaced by a murder mystery. Ample examples on the telly will prove that a few twists and turns later, the storyline becomes same old stuff you've seen before.

Is it any wonder then that the remote control has often been termed as a lifesaver?
Edited by meghaparti - 14 years ago
meghaparti thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

It's Amba versus Ammaji for now

By SonaliJoshi 22 Apr 2010 - 19:03

Sikha Singh and Meghna Malik

Ammaji (Meghna Malik) was in for a rude shock when her youngest son Raghav's (Aditya Redij) life was in danger when dacoit Amba (Shikha Singh) captured and detained him in Na Aana Iss Des Laado and she failed to free him.

In the recent episode it was revealed that Amba is behind all the kidnapping drama but her motives have not been clear to the Sangwan family. "Amba will keep Raghav as her hostage and then start operating things which will affect his family. She has just entered in their house and started with her mission of taking over Ammaji's throne. Her goons have thrown out all the men out of their rooms. They will try to fight back but they will be helpless as Raghav remains in her custody," our source says.

Amba's motto is to make Ammaji suffer. "She will do every possible thing to instigate her and make her do things she has never done before. Ammaji will be seen doing all household chores while she treats her bahus warmly. In the meanwhile, Ammaji will try to rescue Raghav because she can't remain in the haveli watching all the drama; however her plans will fizzle out," the source adds.

The Amba versus Amma track will go on for few more episodes; further Raghav too will try to escape from Amba but unsuccessfully.

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
'There's an Amba in every woman' - Shikha Singh

Shikha Singh aka the terrorizing Amba of COLORS' Na Aana Is Desh Laado, on a leisurely chat ...

niveditha thumbnail
ADITYA REDIJ
[26 Apr 2010]

"I Have Made A Simple Rule. Whenever Or
Wherever I Work, I Will Never Date My Co-star"

With the plethora of fresh actors and actresses burgeoning on the television circuit, it has become difficult not only for artistes to leave their mark in the industry (and on the minds of the viewers) but even for us audiences to differentiate one face from another! Raw talent and unconventionality are the order of the day and it has become hard for any upcoming actor to get himself noticed. But someone like an Aditya Redij need not worry much. Currently playing Raghav in Color's shocking rural saga Naa Aana Iss Des Lado, he is definitely a recognizable face in the crowd. Originally from Kolhapur, Showtime managed to engage this shy Maharastrian actor in a frank conversation, as he speaks all about his show, love life, and his very non-controversial off-screen image.

Not many know that before taking the plunge into acting, Aditya was a social worker and a passionate photographer. He has assisted noted photographer Munna S in the past. Ironically, Munna is also the photographer who has done the shoot for this very article! After his photography stint, just before acting beckoned, Aditya worked as an editor in Dubai. He begins the interview by speaking about his simple life, before all the fame and glory came his way. "I was always interested in media and entertainment. I used to work as an editor in graphic designing. I have made short films as well as corporate films, as I was interested in direction. I even designed the Dubai Fashion Week (DFW) video."

It was while working on the DFW that a friend suggested that with his looks and personality, he should give modelling a shot. "I auditioned for it and was the only Indian in Dubai to walk the DFW for two years. That's how my journey started." Always having had a tendency to dabble in different things, he soon got bored of modelling too. "When I came back to Mumbai, I was very bored to model. After all, it is just walking on the ramp, with absolutely no expressions on your face."

Naturally, the next step after modelling was getting into acting, as he was very interested in the craft. He auditioned for three shows and got selected for all. However he liked and chose to work in … Lado. It seemed right to him at that point, though taking up a show that strongly propagates a cause isn't something most debutant actors would prefer.
Says Aditya, "You know, I never thought I would act in serials. I got inspired, as my dad used to show movies in Kolhapur, where we owned a theatre. As a child, I grew up in that kind of environment. Though owning a theatre has got nothing to do with acting. But I guess I got inspired. I was fascinated and so maybe that's why I wanted to act." He has also acted in noted Marathi filmmaker Mahesh Kothari's film (who also happens to be a close family friend). My parents wanted me to do a film with him. It was called Jabardast. But … Lado is my first Hindi lead show," he says casually.

He talks about bagging the lead. "I had to go through the normal grind, like everyone who comes to Mumbai to act in this field. It was tough to get the serial, but it was my good fortune along with the blessings of God and my parents that I got such a good show in hand." Surprisingly, he doesn't relate to his character and the soap he works for. "I relate a little to Raghav, but not much. I have never really gone through any situation in life that has been similar to what he has gone through. When it comes to Ammaji (the evil antagonist in the show), I haven't come across a woman like her. I don't know anybody who behaves like her. But this is TV, so you have to show such kind of things," he adds sheepishly.

"But some of the things shown in the show are real, like the atrocities committed against women. The story is based in a village in Haryana and I have stayed there for like three months. I know these situations exist. People don't believe something like this can happen. But it happens in villages. Why only villages, it has even happened in big palaces," he defends and justifies the serial.

Though the sun is shining down on Aditya, he isn't basking in its glory. He just has one show on hand. It's not like he hasn't received offers. When asked why he isn't seen more on TV, he simply claims that he is too busy with… Lado to shoot for anything else. "Also, they (his producers) don't want to share the wealth! Let another year pass, and then I will be open to other shows. Right now, I want to concentrate on one project and give it my best. Even if I have a few days free in hand, I don't want to commit somewhere else. I don't like doing half-hearted work."

He speaks about the atmosphere on the sets of Naa Aana Iss Des Lado and how it feels working in a rural set-up. "Sometimes it gets hectic because of the long shooting hours, but we have created a very friendly environment on the sets. I don't even realize how time passes with my co-stars. It is nice and fun. Of course, we fight and there are tensions on the sets, but it happens everywhere," he shrugs.

Like mentioned before, Aditya is a non-controversial actor, and an absolutely no nonsense guy. Perhaps the only time he came in the news for the wrong reasons was when he was supposedly ousted from … Lado. One heard that the actor's character was going to be bumped from the show. What had exactly transpired? "I don't know from where that news came. Were they going to kill Raghav? See, when I heard the script, my role was there but I didn't know it was going to be so big. Recently, I have been getting good scenes. And I have got feedback that I am good at my work. But I have no idea about this. I speak to my producers like six times in a year. And in all these times, not once have they spoken about bumping my character. I shoot and then go home," he says simply, unaware of the rumour.

He talks about doing reality shows, a must for every actor on television. Aditya isn't one to follow the herd mentality and so isn't too keen on reality television. "I did do Comedy Circus and Laughter Ke Phatke but only for a few episodes, as a guest. I don't want to do something that just goes on for months, like Bigg Boss. I wouldn't like to do that. I want something where I can go, shoot and then come back home to my own life. I can't go to a Bigg Boss house, stay there for 90 days and be away from my normal life. After shooting I have to have my own life. That's how I maintain my balance. When I am not shooting, I rest, workout and do some photography."

He may not want to take up more work on television, but he is definitely eyeing the big screen. Ask him of his Bollywood aspirations and he says, "Every actor in this industry dreams of being in Bollywood. I don't have hard and fast rules that I want to do films right now. If anything good comes along, I will think about it." He is happy with doing only one show on television at the moment. After all, he is preparing himself for films. "People do know of me, but don't know me much as an actor. It will take some more time, so the more I am seen on television and in the market, more offers will start pouring."
He continues on his strategy, "You have to prove yourself as an actor before you get into movies. If you get into films and if people think you are a good actor, but if your movie doesn't do well, no one will say that you were bad. They will just blame the script or the direction. I want to prove myself completely. Then only people will trust me and say that I can do films."

But isn't he worried to leave television and move to films, where not many TV actors have been successful or popular? He insists, "That's why I don't want to just jump to films yet. I will take my time. I really want to prove myself as an actor."

Moving on from television and films, Aditya reveals a bit about his love life. Fortunately for him, he hasn't been linked yet to his leading lady Natasha Sharma, who plays Sia in the show. Is it because they share cold vibes? "Err… I don't know. We are just friends. Working together doesn't really mean that you have to date your co-star. We can just have good friendship between us and still give the same performances." When I mention that this phenomenon is very rare, he says, "I have made a simple rule. Whenever or wherever I work, I will never date my co-star. Because somewhere that will affect my performance.

Maybe after the project, I will date her." After realizing what he has said, he hastily takes his comment back, "I haven't thought about anything like that yet."
And yes, for those who are wondering about his relationship status, Aditya is very much single. Hard to believe? Well, listen to what he has to say about having a girlfriend, "My secret girlfriend is hidden in my cupboard! Seriously, I don't have one. If I do, you will be the first one to know and I will give you our exclusive pictures too." On a more serious note, he comments, "Work comes first. All that will happen eventually. Anyway, I haven't found the one I would like to date."

Aditya doesn't expect too much from the girl in his life too. When asked about it, he says shyly, "Firstly, she should make me feel good and make me laugh. Whenever I am stressed or sad, she should cheer me up. And at least once in a day she should call up to ask if I have eaten food. Otherwise, just one or two phone calls a day are okay. Basically, she should just take care of me," he ends happily. Well, now you know what Aditya wants, so what are you girls waiting for?

• By Purvaja Sawant

-- k k rai

http://www.magnamags.com/index.php/201004266096/showtime/features/aditya-redij.html
niveditha thumbnail
L'il Masters rocks; Chak.. booms, Nachke.. doomed?
Wednesday, 05 May 2010 17:51

Size doesn't matter. The smaller; the better. This has been amply proved by unheralded little kids from Dance India Dance L'il Masters (Zee TV) and Chak Dhoom Dhoom (Colors) who have put their erstwhile TV stars of Zara Nachke Dikha to shame.

The three dance reality shows made their debut last week, and all of them air at prime time on their respective channels. Zee TV's DID L'il Masters has emerged as the clear winner clocking a TVR of 6.7 for its inaugural episode. This not only makes it the top show (fiction and non-fiction) for the TAM week 18 (April 25 to May 1), but it's the biggest opening for any show in the last three years. Interestingly, the preceding Dance India Dance finale could only muster a rating of 5.

Colors' Chak Dhoom Dhoom drew a TVR of 4.4 while, Star Plus' celebrity reality show Zara Nachke Dikha could only muster a TVR of 2.4. (Though, it must be noted that Zara.. airs on Saturday and Sunday whereas its two competing shows air on Friday and Saturday)

While it will be too early to write off Zara Nacke Dikha, the success of the two juvenile shows clearly indicate that the viewers are longer warming to the celebrity dance reality shows, where talent often takes second place to controversy and other theatrics. We've already seen the first casualty when Mohit Sehgal and Sanaya Irani were found wanting as hosts, and subsequently replaced by Jennifer Winget and RJ Mantra.

Rakhi Sawant proudly claimed that she'll create history at Zara Nachke Dikha. The out-of-favour drama queen should now pray that the show picks up in the coming weeks or else, she'll be confined to history.

Meanwhile, the final of Indian Premier League 3 between Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings clocked a staggering TVR of 10.5 (All India market).

The top ten shows across Hindi GECS is as follows –

L'il Masters - 6.7, Pavitra Rishta 6.0, Uttaran 5.9, Na Aana Is Des Laado 4.9, Jhansi Ki Rani 4.8, Pratigya 4.7, Bidaai 4.7, Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai 4.5, Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo 4.4, Chak Dhoom Dhoom 4.4

Colors has regained the number spot with 288 GRPs, Star Plus is just two GRPs less, while Zee TV drops to third spot with 279 GRPs.

-- Mayur Lookhar / TellyCafe.com

http://tellycafe.com/telly-news-gossip/l-il-masters-rocks-chak-booms-nachke-doomed
niveditha thumbnail
There's never been a barrier to one's imagination. You are free to look at things from your perspective. The world will say that earth is in the shape of a sphere, but you can term it round.

Taking cue from the above line, TellyCafe decided to tinker with some of the popular 'faces' of television. Ever thought that Parizad Kolah would have looked as good as Hina Khan for the role of Akshara? Or how about Hina Khan looking sizzling hot in a sexy outfit.

It might well be an eye sore but what's the harm in visualizing. Let's have a look then

Hina Khan and Parizad Kolah

Hina Kolah and Parizad Khan

On the face of it, they are as different as chalk and cheese. One is a sexy diva, while the other is doing bahu of television. Though, one thing that they have in common is a 100 watt smile. Wearing a traditional Hindu wedding saree doesn't rob Parizad of her sexiness. Similarly, Hina Khan's fans too would love to see her in a sexy look.

Amoli and Sia

Amoli, Sia: Suffer for life

There's a lot common between Sia and Amoli. All their ills emanate from their sasural. One is at the mercy of a sleazy Thakur, while the other paid the price by marrying her nemesis' son. While Amoli is an illiterate and backward girl, Sia is a doter who was duped by her con husband. Post their marriage; both have been reduced to being servants in the house.

Anandi and Archana

Anandi Archana: Choti bahu; badi bahu

If you believe in balika vadhu, then Anandi is the most desirable choti bahu. Similarly, Archana stands out as the girl-next-door, one that you'll like to take home to your mother. Over the last 6-7months, Anandi's conjoined brows have got thicker, almost showing of her growing age. On the other hand, Archana is looking as fresh as ever.

How about a role reversal?

Parul Chauhan and Sanaya Irani

Black and White

Opposites attract. We aren't talking of any girly liaison between Parul Chauhan and Sanaya Irani. It's just that we want to see how the two would look in each other's character. A Parul in specks will be a spectacular sight. Similarly, one has never seen Sanaya in a bridal wear. This visual may not please all, but we love the sight.

S

Desi girls

Ichcha (Sparsh) and Geet (Drasthi), both poor but ambitious girls. Their big round eyes reflect their innocence. On close examination, they look quite similar despite their age difference. Perhaps, Drashti would have been ideal face to play the adult Ichcha. She's also wouldn't mind playing with little Ichcha's second hand doll (toy).

-Mayur Lookhar / TellyCafe.com
http://tellycafe.com/gag-of-the-week/telestars-face-off
niveditha thumbnail
Amba turns out to be Ammaji's daughter in Na Aana Is Desh Laado

Well, the real motive behind Daku Amba harassing Ammaji in COLORS' Na Aana Is Desh Laado will ...

niveditha thumbnail
Ammaji finally knows Amba's real identity..

COLORS' Naa Aana Is Desh Laado has yet another twist in offer, as Ammaji gets to know that Amba ...

niveditha thumbnail
Natasha out of Comedy Circus Ke Superstars?
Buzz up!

If you thought Comedy Circus Ke Superstaar is an all fun show then you are far from the reality. Accumulating the right mix of stand-up comedians and celebrities is no easy task.

Discuss here

In addition to this, you have to handle the flaring tempers and inflated egos of the so called celebrities. Celebrities are known to throw a fit if things don't go as per their plan. One such celebrity from the star-studded comic reality show, who seems to be enraged is Natasha Sharma aka Sia of Na Aana Is Des Laado. The actress apparently has walked out of the show following her differences with the creative team of the show.

Optimytix, the production house, tried to reason out with the actress but failed to convince her to continue with the show. They are currently hunting for a replacement.

Informs a source, "Natasha walked out of the show one night before the shoot. She stated that she has some time issues and is not able to strike a balance between
Comedy Circus Ke Superstars and her daily soap Laado. She also had an argument with the creative team of the show and we tried to convince her till the wee hours of the next morning but the girl just wouldn't budge. It's weird as why would one take up a show unless he or she is not clear of handling it along with an ongoing show. We are looking for her replacement."

When contacted Natasha said, "Yes, I am no longer a part of the show. I have a long schedule for my daily
Laado and when I scoop out time for another show, I expect things to be systematic and organised. I expect them to hand over the scripts in time to me so that I can prepare myself for the act. But it was all chaos there as the scripts were not ready and I never got good response from them. I expect them to respect me as an artist and their response wasn't in good taste."

Adding further the actress says, "I have no qualms whatsoever with the production house and producer Vipul Shah is a thorough gentleman. Even the creative team was good with me. I had issues with this one person who I wouldn't want to name and the entire cast and crew know who this person is. I have decided to quit the show. I will be meeting the producer either today or tomorrow."

Natasha has performed in the inaugural episode of the show with her partner and stand-up comedian Kapil Sharma. Incidentally, her co-actor Aditya Redij aka Raghav from
Laado is also a part of Comedy Circus Ke Superstars. Well, if the production houses manage to retain the actress on the show, remains to be seen.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsdetails.aspx?p=Natasha-out-of-Comedy-Circus&xfile=2010/May/News_20100527_46
niveditha thumbnail
The plot of the Colors show 'Na Aana Iss Des Lado' seems to be getting interesting day by day as Ammaji comes to know the fact that the dacoit Amba is her daughter. This brings a sudden change in Ammaji, as revenge transforms into maternal feeling.

We spoke to Meghna Malik (Ammaji) to know, how she is adapting to this sudden change. Meghna says, "Definitely, the plot is getting interesting with every episode and now I am going through a realization stage in the show.The shoots for the show are getting more gruesome. Of late, it has been very exhausting with the sword fights. The shooting in the jungles in the mud and dust at such high temperatures for more than 15 hours has also taken the toll."

"The introduction of the new character of Amba has been one of the most interesting twists so far", the actress says. Speaking about her relation with the new girl Shikha Singh (daku Amba), she says "The more the merrier, it is a pleasure to work with her. She has put a lot of soul in the character. We are like one big family on the sets and now Shikha is a part of it, she is a jovial person unlike the tough girl she plays on screen"

http://tellycafe.com/television-news-and-gossip/405-na-aana-iss-des-laado-gets-tougher-by-the-day.html