Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lghosh thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 years ago

And where is , 'Oh my Lana'?? Hmmm? 😳 πŸ˜‰πŸ˜† Okay saw your post, we cross connected! πŸ˜† Like minds...like choice...like thoughts! πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by lghosh - 6 years ago
old_charm thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: lashy

Vathsy... I think since you came towards the later threads, you missed out on a few good discussions about the Shehzaade.

The Shehzaade

Shehzaade is a character inspired from 'Aurangazeb' - though I never take his name to keep out any kind of trouble (and so I can keep the 'fictional' feel of the story)
But the traits that you see in AMK - are not conjured up by me. Rather an inspiration from having read up on Aurangazeb himself.

Aurangazeb (the Shehzaade) was a cruel man. A fanatic, who reversed everything that his great grandfather - Emperor Akbar had worked for.
He was a man who murdered his own brother (Dara Shikoh, who challenged him to the throne) to gain accession, and had his brother's cut head paraded all along Delhi streets for the crowds to witness. He was a man who imprisoned his ageing father and gave him & his carers no water till he relented power over the throne. Yes, ruthless he was.

At the same time, he was a simple man, who did not believe in excesses of any sort. A sister of his who'd saved his life (by outing another brother's assassination plans) was treated specially till the end. She was quite a cruel unstable character but her mistakes were repeatedly forgiven because she'd saved his life. He was partial to his loyalists but ruthless towards rebels!

He believed that any sort of temptation was wrong (Hukkah, Drink, Women, Gambling) and set out to ban all those dens that'd become quite rampant during his opium-addicted grand-father's rule. He lived like a simple man. Ate simple food. He didn't loot the treasury for personal means and yet ended up emptying it in his endless quest for expansion. He banned most Hindu festivals & destroyed a few famous temples - yet, he had many powerful Rajputs in his court too. He is also known to have been enamoured by the valour of a Rajput prince he met once in battlefield.

He was devoted to his wife. Respected her. He saw how his father's love for his mother (the famous Mumtaz Mahal-Shah Jahan love story) ended up costing his mother her life (she repeatedly became pregnant year after year and when her body could take the strain no more, she died in childbirth.) So, he ensured his own wife had enough time between children.
It was only once he was swayed by love (and the name of the girl was Hira - his own uncle's slave girl) For a year he was smitten by Hira till she died of a disease and it is said he became even more hardened thereafter, than he was before.
(There is a vague reference in HBAS where Shehzaade refers to love, I think?)

Yes, he is quite a difficult person to understand. With two DISTINCT sides. And I can see both, the AMKs and the Khalils having served under him. 😊

Eventually, Aurangazeb's tyranny was too much to bear. The manner in which he put an end to some of the Maratha warriors and the Sikh warriors is too terrible to even pen here.
But it was the very letter from a Sikh Guru - who claimed moral victory over him - despite having lost all of his own sons and family to the ruthless armies of Aurangazeb, that ended up completely demoralising the Emperor Aurangazeb.
In the end he died alone, an old man, regretting his actions, and knowing he'd led the Mughal Empire to ruin.

discussions on Aurangzeb & Bajirao hv happened before , & some really good stuff was written by our darling author...πŸ˜ƒ

Aurangzeb , he definitely has some goods in his personality but his atrocities towards marathas & to other sections hv always put verity at back seat . from childhood we were only introduced to his cruel traits , a dislike so deeply developed that never bothered to know more details of him .

but thankfully now i know about his other sides too , like rajput part i always felt that rajput-mughal relations were so severed in his era that there hardly be one present in his court .
old_charm thumbnail

Originally posted by: lghosh

And where is , 'Oh my Lana'?? Hmmm? 😳 πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

go back to pg no. 26...πŸ˜†

ohh didu...πŸ€—
Edited by --cute.manasi-- - 6 years ago
old_charm thumbnail

Maaloom hai re!! πŸ˜ƒ I always tease our porcelain skinned majesty of hotness whenever I get a chance. I want her to relax a little before again she gets bogged down about the update. She is not getting any breather with guests around and our demands. So thought of diverting her mind. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ƒ

πŸ‘πŸΌ

Word Count: 1

lashy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Okay where is our sweet, giving, generous Lashy and what have you done with her?? This is some one new whom I don't recognise. πŸ€” Threatening, blackmailing, fighting tooth and nails for your coujjin so suddenly...what has happened to you on this last birthday??? Turned a new stone or what??

Your coujjin is for mine to keep, love, ahem...go fill in the blanks. πŸ˜‰

You know me...

I am both, NICE😳
and NAUGHTYπŸ˜‰

Edited by lashy - 6 years ago
old_charm thumbnail

You know me... I am both nice
and naughty

🀣

Word Count: 0

lghosh thumbnail

Originally posted by: --cute.manasi--

go back to pg no. 26...πŸ˜†

ohh didu...πŸ€—

And where is my Didu?? πŸ˜³πŸ˜†
lghosh thumbnail

You know me...

I am both, NICE😳
and NAUGHTYπŸ˜‰

Well according to Santa, you are being more naughty than nice! So the priced gift wrapped item will be gifted to your friend here in California. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†
lashy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: --cute.manasi--

Aurangzeb , he definitely has some goods in his personality but his atrocities towards marathas & to other sections hv always put verity at back seat . from childhood we were only introduced to his cruel traits , a dislike so deeply developed that never bothered to know more details of him .

but thankfully now i know about his other sides too , like rajput part i always felt that rajput-mughal relations were so severed in his era that there hardly be one present in his court .

In the same article about him (I know I know wikipedia is not the be all end all... but still)

Bureaucracy

Aurangzeb's imperial bureaucracy employed significantly more Hindus than that of his predecessors. Between 1679 and 1707, the number of Hindu officials in the Mughal administration rose by half, many of them Marathas and Rajputs. His increasing employment of Hindus and Shia Muslims was controversial with several of his fellow Sunni Muslim officials petitioning against it, which he rejected, and responded, "What connection have earthly affairs with religion? And what right have administrative works to meddle with bigotry? 'For you is your religion and for me is mine.'" He insisted on employment based on ability rather than religion.

Under Aurangzeb's reign, Hindus rose to represent 31.6% of Mughal nobility, the highest in the Mughal era. This was largely due to a substantial influx of Marathas, who played a key role in his successful Deccan campaign. During his time, the number of Hindu Mansabdars increased from 22% to over 31% in the Mughal administration, as he needed them to continue his fight in the Deccan.
One of his Rajput nobles, Jaswant Singh, Hindu ruler of Jodhpur, "destroyed mosques and built idol-temples in their stead around 16581659, according to Aurangzeb. Despite this, relationships did not turn sour between the two, as they worked together for the next two decades up until Singh's death in the late 1670s.

And in the same article, this is written about him too

Policy on temples and mosques

During his reign, Aurangzeb ordered the destruction of many temples and some mosques. For example, he ordered the destruction of Vishvanath Temple at Varanasi for being a centre of conspiracy against the state, and he ordered the destruction of the Jama Masjid at Golkund after finding out that its ruler had built the mosque in order to hide revenues from the state. Aurangzeb also ordered a rescue raid on a temple, in order to rescue a Rajasthan minister's female family members who went there on a pilgrimage.[18][need quotation to verify]

Aurangzeb displayed a particular animus towards Hindus and their temples. In his the first volume of his Pulitzer Prize winning book series, historian Will Durant stated the following:

Aurangzeb cared nothing for art, and fought, through a reign of half a century, to eradicate from India almost all religions but his own. He issued orders to the provincial governors, and to his other subordinates, 'to raze to the ground all the temples of either Hindus or Christians, to smash every idol, and to close every Hindu school. In one year (167980) sixty-six temples were broken to pieces in Amber alone, sixtythree at Chitor, one hundred and twenty-three at Udaipur; and over the site of a Benares temple especially sacred to the Hindus he built, in deliberate insult, a Mohammedan mosque. He forbade all public worship of the Hindu faiths, and laid upon every unconverted Hindu a heavy capitation tax.

As a result of his fanaticism, thousands of the temples which had represented or housed the art of India through a millennium were laid in ruins. We can never know, from looking at India today, what grandeur and beauty she once possessed. Aurangzeb converted a handful of timid Hindus to Islam, but he wrecked his dynasty and his country. A few Moslems worshiped him as a saint, but the mute and terrorized millions of India looked upon him as a monster, fled from his tax-gatherers, and prayed for his death.

During his reign the Mogul empire in India reached its height, extending into the Deccan; but it was a power that had no foundation in the affection of the people, and was doomed to fall at the first hostile and vigorous touch. The Emperor himself, in his last years, began to realize that by the very narrowness of his piety he had destroyed the heritage of his fathers.
Edited by lashy - 6 years ago
old_charm thumbnail

We get two contrast pictures of loyalty!!

The first was one of the dying Rajput messenger who because of his loyalty left a mass of destruction whereas now we will see Mughal loyalty which hopefully will lead to restoration! Both are bound by their threshold of loyalty and will give up their last breath for it but both want to live till the message is delivered to the respective person!!

It is a contrast you have set up Author Sahiba based on the same side of the coin. 2 angles to be perceived, 2 outlooks to be pondered upon, 2 different reasons behind the perspectives, 2 views of dutiful responsibility to be looked upon, 2 sentiments of pride to die for their mission is to be observed! πŸ‘ And both noble and honest with their intentions!

And s if the words were not enough to drill in the grimness of the scenario the picture seems to be the nail in the coffin. With 2 arrows at the back of a staggering able-bodied soldier who in spite of his youth and strength is unable to walk or even nudge his horse to take him home, he is in a semiconscious state unable to think through or see properly doused by the gritting pain which he solemnly is bearing bravely with the only intention of reaching his master, mentor, guide and family all rolled into one to save the thousands of innocent lives of Parnagarh! πŸ˜­πŸ‘

All along Azeez and of late Ibrahim Mirza has come to the forefront while this quiet man has preferred to stay in the background. For the first time, we see his strength and valour that too portrayed as silently as possible and yet leaving a deep impact only through few lines. Tme for Sayyid to shine valiantly! The very trait of AMK and his principles, staying in the background, quietly doing one's jobs and silently bearing the pain! Reminds me of AMK when he came back wounded in his room silently bore his pain with a bowed head when Heera saw him first!

Just as the messenger found a family to take care of him and kept him alive till he found the fortunate chance to meet upon Mahendra, hopefully, Sayyid too come across some 'bhala manush, bhala aadmi or bhala insaan' to be looked upon to sustain the energy to return to Parnagarh! Keeping my fingers crossed and a whole lot of prayers restored for him!!

As I said the picture really portrays a very dismal picture of blood oozing out, which also tells me Sayyid must be extremely weak due to massive blood loss!! On top of that, he is in the forest with no living soul in sight!! Kya kar rahi ho Author Sahiba?? πŸ˜”

Will wait eagerly to read what happens!! Poor guy!! πŸ˜’ Keeping my fingers crossed for AMK to send someone looking for him when he sees Sayyid has not returned to Parnagarh yet! _/\_

Gripping teaser Lashy!! πŸ‘ Both verbally and visually! πŸ‘πŸΌ

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘