.|DOTW: Marriage- Love Ya Arranged?|.

scarlet.moon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
For this week's discussion let's touch upon the most controversial topic of our lives...Marriage.

Marriages be it love or arranged bonds two people rather two families together. In Chanchan which is surrounded by the clash of modern vs. conservative thinking also touches on the subject of marriage. As we saw on thursday Chanchan and Manav who have gradually become friends are going to end up falling for each other but on the other side there is Umaben who with a conservative point of view seems to be against her son bringing home a girl he is likes rather than someone Umaben has chosen for him.

So, for this week's discussion lets put forward our views on marriage and in particular love and arranged marriages. Happy Discussion!!! :)
Edited by scarlet.moon - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

GeoS thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
I prefer Love-cum-Arranged marriage.
Marriage is a celebration , so it should happen with the support of Family.
FromTheAshes thumbnail
in my POV both are good at thier own places..
but i preffer love marriage
ipkknd-fan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
From what I have seen in my personal life with my parents I would say love marriges work alot better than arranges marriges! In arranged marriges they just end up getting divorced!!
Sorry about the rant :/
LivingInPajamas thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
These are my own views based on the opinions I have formed in my head after seeing the kind of marriages in my family and outside.

Arranged marriage

On the positive side I believe that though Arranged marriages do involve knowing less about your future husband or wife and more play of your family and parents, they are not necessarily unsuccessful.My own parents have had an arranged marriage and they are still going strong after twenty five years :) They do not exactly put out their love for everyone to see but I can still see the subtle love and support between them.
On the negative side, nowadays I have noticed a whole lot of arranged marriages which are somehow going on but definitely not happy ones. Since the husband and wife don't exactly know each other well, it is only after marriage that they realise each others shortcomings.Plus there are times when the groom and his family aren't what they seem on the surface. The bride is unhappy and the stigma against divorces in India makes it difficult for her to leave the alliance.

Love marriages

My family fortunately has had successful love marriages in my parents' generation as well as my own. Specially in the generation I belong to, most of my cousins are now into love-cum-arranged marriages and that actually works great because the couple knows and loves each other and the families get to know each other too. These are considered more than arranged marriages today because I believe that understanding and love between a couple is more important than anything. Plus it saves the trouble of going through matrimonial columns and long visits from far flung aunties and uncles who have the names of possible suitors on their tongue :|

But in cases where the parents don't agree to the alliance, its obviously a difficult situation. Fortunately I haven't seen anything like this in my own family or near ones.

As for me, I am pretty young to consider which kind of marriage is better. Both have pros and cons,its upto the situation you are in. I am happily satisfied with watching Romantic comedies and gorging on food for now 😆

PS-All this is from the POV of an Indian.Situations might be different in other countries :)
blah-blah thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
okay!!!!
love marriage ya arranged marriage
arranged marriage is like some snake is biting you !!!😆
and love marriage is like you are asking the snake to bite you!!!
🤣 🤣 🤣

Edited by anulovessarun - 11 years ago
puglet thumbnail
Quite an interesting topic. I look forward to the discussion.

-edit, many days later 😛-

I think arranged marriage where there is an acceptance of the relationship from the two suitors is the best form. I have seen many real couples that claim to have love but all I see is superficial gestures that keeps the other intrigued. Lust. The idealized love and subsequent marriage would be in a perfect world where each partner knows how to compliment the other and not much builds from the arguments that may occur. But from what I have seen an understanding based relations, where it be socially established or emotionally, travels much further than a 'love' marriage.
Edited by mrskycar - 11 years ago
OmNaMaSteOm thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I think it should be mixed & not on individual criteria.

Love marriage with parents approval thus arranging the love marriage.
Or Arranged marriage with Bride & Bride groom's consent.

puglet thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kesh123

I prefer love marriage

Any particular reason why?