Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DiyaS thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 11 years ago
I'm not too sure myself 😕 From what I understand, earlier, TV channels were through cables wired to the houses and once you set up your TV, you got all the channels that were available at no additional cost. This was when there were not too many channels. Doordarshan and DD2 were basically free to air channels ... I think they still are. The signals were all analogue signals. That's when the TRP meters were installed in those 6000 - 8000 homes. TV still didn't have much reach at that time, it was considered a luxury item.

When all the new corporate houses came in with their channels, and the new distributors, like Tata Sky, Dish tv and whatever others ... then they got the rights to supply the channels through their set top boxes through digitized signals. That's how paid TV channels started, and viewers have to pay for the channels they subscribe to ... also how we now can get HD channels ... the signals are digitized. I don't know if the set top boxes can now incorporate ways for the channels to collect information on viewership ... or whether that needs additional meters or can be done through the set top box itself. But the installation of the boxes allows the channels and advertisers to collect information on viewership from a much wider section of the audience. And that in turn determines the advertising rates ... which is how the channels make their money ...
Edited by DiyaS - 11 years ago
IPKKNDfan4ever thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
are trps recorded online ??
i watch on YT nDM ...
DiyaS thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
^^ I don't think TRPs are recorded online ... but like I said, if you watch on the Sony official youtube channel, it will give Sony an idea of the show's popularity among overseas and online viewers.And that has to count for something, I guess ... 😛

ArianaGrande thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I think ... though I am not sure ... the recent digitization is to take care of this problem. With the installation of the set top boxes,TRP meters are no longer going to be needed ... there were only about 8000 of them so that was a highly skewed system in the first place. But I'm not sure whether TRPs are measured through new meters installed with the set top boxes, or directly through the set top boxes somehow ...

Overseas viewers like myself can view the episodes on the official Sony channel ... the hit rates there will give Sony an idea about the show's popularity. Even if you view them online on other sites, view them once on the official channel also. They are normally uploaded within a day or two.
[/QUOTE

The 1st phase of digitization didn't solve the problem till now as the fruit of the 1st phase didn't come and now the second phase got completed but still no fruit is come to any GEC

Online views are not counted
spate22 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
So, it's basically digital TV!! 😆 Something what we in US have here!! 😉 So this digitalization will take time?!! Are they going to digitalize everywhere or do the consumers have to order themselves?!! But it might give better idea of how many people watch?!! 😊

Shreya
IPKKNDfan4ever thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: DiyaS

^^ I don't think TRPs are recorded online ... but like I said, if you watch on the Sony official youtube channel, it will give Sony an idea of the show's popularity among overseas and online viewers.And that has to count for something, I guess ... 😛

good then ..i do watch on the official YT channel ...😃 i guess they should take online viewers into consideration ...
anamunir thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
well as an overseas fan nviewer what can i do????
blah-blah thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
thanks for the info!!!!
i always watch it on TV!!!