Chanchan, you rock!

charlotte74 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 11 years ago
What I liked about today's episode was the explanation of why dowry is important from Umben's POV and which is also the general POV of those who are for the tradtion.

Umaben explains that dowry is a pratha, a vyavahar where ---

It helps the family the girl goes into, in time of need
Increases the "izzat" of both the girl and her father

Umaben's argument probably held good in the old times as girls did not have financial independence, thus a dowry ensured that she will be taken care of well by her in-laws.I am sure this tradition started with good intentions but over time began to get misused by people who thought this could be used to enrich themselves and as a result turned into a nightmare for the girl and her family.

The subsequent response by Chan Chan with respect to that argument was fantastic. She says ---

That when a girl becomes financially independent she doesn't really need to take from her father when she goes into her husband's family

And that automatically increases the izzat of both the girl and her parents.

Chanchan you and your views just rock girl! 👍🏼

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bluesz thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Good post.But girls do have equal share on their dad's assets.Its a law.But she only has the right to ask from her dad and not anyone else..be it MIL or hubby.
charlotte74 thumbnail

Originally posted by: bluesz

Good post.But girls do have equal share on their dad's assets.Its a law.But she only has the right to ask from her dad and not anyone else..be it MIL or hubby.

Girls have an equal right on her dad's asset just like the son --- after the dad'd demise. Dad's property is for the dad and mom until he they are living.
Riima_Azraa thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Yes both their perspectives are right from were they are standing.
BillyJean. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Lovely analysis of the two POVs
jaya100 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I actually liked the fact that UB gave her explanation. From my understanding the whole dowry system began as stri dhan...that was a daughters right on her fathers property. This was done with the parents wishes and within their means and not as a demand from anyone. She was given her inheritance at the time of leaving her fathers home, then after her parents demise the remainder belonged to her brothers and unmarried sisters. Technically this 'dowry' belonged only to the girl and not even her huband had any right to it. These customs were set at a time when most women did not work outside the home so this sum gave the girl some financial independence.Also the girl could choose to use it in times of need (the way UB used the land her father gave her when the family were going through hard times)That I guess is what UB was referring to when she said a mother would tie a little something into her daughters pallu.
Of course time and human greed has turned a good thought into a horrible custom so UB was defending both the initial good thought and the bad custom that it bacame.
I loved the fact that CC blew away her gift for the daughter explanation when she said how many girls actually get to enjoy what has come from their parents home and what girl can enjoy something when it comes at the expense of misery for her parents. Now with most girls working and the law providing equal inheritance rights even the initial good thought behind stri dhan is no longer valid.
I love the dialogues in this show, they are to the point without any lecturing. CC is definitely showing that it is different from other shows of this genre.
charlotte74 thumbnail

Originally posted by: jaya100

I actually liked the fact that UB gave her explanation. From my understanding the whole dowry system began as stri dhan...that was a daughters right on her fathers property. This was done with the parents wishes and within their means and not as a demand from anyone. She was given her inheritance at the time of leaving her fathers home, then after her parents demise the remainder belonged to her brothers and unmarried sisters. Technically this 'dowry' belonged only to the girl and not even her huband had any right to it. These customs were set at a time when most women did not work outside the home so this sum gave the girl some financial independence.Also the girl could choose to use it in times of need (the way UB used the land her father gave her when the family were going through hard times)That I guess is what UB was referring to when she said a mother would tie a little something into her daughters pallu.

Of course time and human greed has turned a good thought into a horrible custom so UB was defending both the initial good thought and the bad custom that it bacame.
I loved the fact that CC blew away her gift for the daughter explanation when she said how many girls actually get to enjoy what has come from their parents home and what girl can enjoy something when it comes at the expense of misery for her parents. Now with most girls working and the law providing equal inheritance rights even the initial good thought behind stri dhan is no longer valid.
I love the dialogues in this show, they are to the point without any lecturing. CC is definitely showing that it is different from other shows of this genre.

Thankyou for the explanation of Streedhan. After reading this I wish UB had used this instead of the work 'Vyavhaar'

In any case these are thought provoking issues and I am happy that this show has addressed it nicely.

I am hoping that there are most such issues they will address.

rima thumbnail
An awesome post Kavi
taht is how it all began
as a means to secure he daughter's life
like all good things it became an evil in the hands of the greedy
what a girl needs is financial independence and education
which is a bgger security than money
because it will never leave her
this is where the old has to make way tot he new
jaya100 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: charlotte74

Thankyou for the explanation of Streedhan. After reading this I wish UB had used this instead of the work 'Vyavhaar'

In any case these are thought provoking issues and I am happy that this show has addressed it nicely.

I am hoping that there are most such issues they will address.

I hope my explanation for StriDhan and it's connection to dowry is correct but that's how it was explained to me.
I think the term 'vyavhaar' made more sense in the current context because the basic concept of StriDhan has been lost a long time ago. It would perhaps have been nice for someone like CC's Dadi to mention how the custom began and how it deteriorated. If she did that though UB would have just twisted the words to suit her own needs so perhaps it was better not to mention that.
I'm loving the way the whole dowry issue was handled and even more than that they way it gave Purvi the motivation to do something with her life. I hope all the people calling this show another saas-bahu drama saw the whole newspaper episode...nayi soch at it's best.
charlotte74 thumbnail

Originally posted by: rima

An awesome post Kavi

taht is how it all began
as a means to secure he daughter's life
like all good things it became an evil in the hands of the greedy
what a girl needs is financial independence and education
which is a bgger security than money
because it will never leave her
this is where the old has to make way tot he new