Difficult to care about Uma after dowry incident

KhatamKahani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
And I'm being very lenient in saying it's 'difficult to care about Umaben.'

What I actually mean is, I don't have much interest in watching her and certainly not as the mother-in-law that ChanChan will have to change or what not.

The dowry incident is distasteful. It depends on how they show the aftermath next week, but as of now I dislike her scenes and just FF through most of it. And to be specific, it's not the fact that she was part of the dowry exchange or that she saw nothing wrong with it. It's what happened afterwards. How we see that she put the blame on the girl's family and is retaliating against the father.

While it's true that in society the girl's family is often likely to take the fall, and it's understandable that Purvi's father and her side wouldn't want to make the dowry incident known--it's the way the whole matter has been portrayed on the show. If the truth is brought to light in the next week or even within two weeks, fine. But if not, it's just off-putting.

It's off-putting, because in the end Umaben is not really supposed to be a complete antagonist. She's the mother-in-law that Chanchan will have to clash with, but respectfully. But in actuality she deserves no respect and if I were ChanChan I wouldn't even be living in that house after marriage.

I am making this post not with an agenda to bash, but to point out the problem I have with this story as of right now. My hope is that it will work out in the next few episodes. I know quite well that a serial's first week is not always indicative of the show. Many times, they do take a week or two to set up...and that's fine...I am well aware of that and have enjoyed a few shows such as that.

I just made this post just to get it off my chest.
Edited by likarsh - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Midnightsorrow thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Yes I agree with you on this even I was thinking the same the other day about ChanChan getting married into her family. Like shouldn't she be sacred of the fact Uma Ben might want to take Dowry for her? :/

But lets wait & see how it all unfolds!
anamunir thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
its good u tuk it off dear!!!
i agree with u!!!
bikerider thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
That the base else how will story begin and continue.
The balaning as to be done and need to see her softe side when it comes to her son
-SAM1445- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
i agree with ur post,but the way they have been showing uma ben in each n every episode,she sure seems to a complete antagonist,that is an out and out negative charecter,like be it the mandir scene,she clearly bribed the pandit,then later she kind of indirectly forced purvi's dad to give dowry n then she put the blame on the girl;s family and in the end how she said she cancelled the wedding and the way she was holding a grude against chhanchhan

UMA BEN is no KOKILA or BHABHO,she is total gabbar n that's why i think that manav is UMA BEN'S son is kept unknown to chhachhan n once they fall in love then only will she come to know about manav's mom i think...
PSharada thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 9
@TM:- Agree with you. I thought Uma ben would be a strict mother-in-law but here it seems she is a complete antagonist. Had they kept her not this bad, I would have felt happy ChanChan marrying in the house but now I am not sure I would like to see ChanChan and Umaben battling it out. Hopefully for Sanaya's sake it wouldn't turn out to be a Evil Saas - Good Bahu saga- those shows are dime a dozen in Indian Tellyland.
Edited by psarada - 11 years ago
jaya100 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I think because it was rumored that this show will be based on Khoobsurat a lot of people myself included had a preconception of what the UB role would entail. We figured she would be a strict no nonsense morally correct character...I guess the character played by Dina Pathak. In a way I'm glad the character is different to avoid comparisons.
What seems to be apparent is that like most real people UB is multi faceted and deals with different people differently...unlike other Saas's out there who seem to have the one inflexible facade. That characteristic plus the fact that CC is not going to be the bending over backwards type of Bahu is where this show will probably be different. Just from the temple scene I get the impression that CC is going to be far from the 'perfect' bahu and will show emotions such as anger just like any real person.The dowry incedent is a reflection of real life and there are people who are like UB who live in denial and can create stories which they convince themselves are the reality. It will be interesting to see CC show UB what reality really is. I for one have no problem at all with any of the characterizations so far and am looking forward to the story unfolding, with excitement.
KhatamKahani thumbnail

Originally posted by: tvshowfan

That the base else how will story begin and continue.

The balaning as to be done and need to see her softe side when it comes to her son

But the problem is exactly that. How am I supposed to be okay seeing a soft side. It's not about her brokering a dowry exchange. It's what happens after that, while it is realistic, it's not something that makes me least bit sympathetic to the character. I will wait to see how the aftermath plays out this week, but as of right now, I'm just going by...so what she has a soft side when it comes to her son. She's not going to get any sympathy from me.

I'm all about grey characters. But when the "white" in the grey comes solely because the person is the loving mother to the husband or husband to be, it is not something that sits well with me.
KhatamKahani thumbnail

Originally posted by: nottie

i agree with ur post,but the way they have been showing uma ben in each n every episode,she sure seems to a complete antagonist,that is an out and out negative charecter,like be it the mandir scene,she clearly bribed the pandit,then later she kind of indirectly forced purvi's dad to give dowry n then she put the blame on the girl;s family and in the end how she said she cancelled the wedding and the way she was holding a grude against chhanchhan

UMA BEN is no KOKILA or BHABHO,she is total gabbar n that's why i think that manav is UMA BEN'S son is kept unknown to chhachhan n once they fall in love then only will she come to know about manav's mom i think...

You know, I'm kind of tempted to say, at this point it would be best if she were an outright antagonist. And while you are right that she seems to be a complete antagonist, we know that these always show the mother-in-law as someone who's still to be respected since she shares a loving relationship with her son.

And as psarda says below the quoted post, now, how can i support Chan Chan marrying into her house? No matter how and when Saas and Bahu realize they are Saas and Bahu.

I guess I'll see how the next week goes.
KhatamKahani thumbnail

Originally posted by: jaya100

What seems to be apparent is that like most real people UB is multi faceted and deals with different people differently...unlike other Saas's out there who seem to have the one inflexible facade. That characteristic plus the fact that CC is not going to be the bending over backwards type of Bahu is where this show will probably be different. Just from the temple scene I get the impression that CC is going to be far from the 'perfect' bahu and will show emotions such as anger just like any real person.The dowry incedent is a reflection of real life and there are people who are like UB who live in denial and can create stories which they convince themselves are the reality. It will be interesting to see CC show UB what reality really is. I for one have no problem at all with any of the characterizations so far and am looking forward to the story unfolding, with excitement.

My problem is that the the multi faceted aspect so far is just that she loves her son and is not so bad with the son. My problem is not that shoe brokered the dowry. That is realistic. My problem is how she went out of her way to pin the blame on the girl's family. And while that too is realistic, to me it is not acceptable if that's not cleared up within a week or two. Because otherwise, it's a horrible person whose only redeeming quality is that she's Manav's mother. And because of that, ChanChan will have to be the respectful daughter-in-law, who challenges sure, but still has to be respectful. (I am guessing, I realize we don't know what's to happen and how the 'battles' will be fought.) When in reality, I would just want ChanChan not to live in that house. (And I am not one against extended family or such, on the contrary. But certain times, certain measures need to be taken.