Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

836772 thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: uniquebluerose

Well a very serious and relevant issue...

If we have to bring about some change in society yup there would be struggle so yes oppsing to dowry before marriage will bring out a lot of stigma...

and if you oppose to it after marriage there will be still more stigma...my stand will not be walking out but enduring any kind of emotional abuse also...and if abuse does comes in then the best will be walk out whether there is a baby or no baby...

Well since Dowry has become a big issue the latest for of hidden dowry i have seen is marrying a well educated girl who earns and emotionally trapping her...

This happened to one of my cousin whom her in law kept emotionally blackmailing and never let quit the job and moreover drew her money till the last penny...

They were totally mean to her calling themselves simple and accusing her of lavish style she was not allowed to eat out with her colleagues or go out or spend money or dresses or anything...heck i remember once they had issues of her taking taxis or travelling by trains to her parents place saying using trains is better~~~

What could be said about such people and for each and every issue they kept repeating remember during marriage we had no demands you much be grateful to us!!!

I know Sree, it's truly sad!
Sometimes, I just give up on our society!
I truly cannot fathom why some people's mentalities are still like this.๐Ÿ˜•
836772 thumbnail

Originally posted by: GodhuliLogon

yeah.. sadly true .. im from upper mid class.. what i am seeing is dowry as in gifts .. starting from car and everything else .. but (im from BD) in my family and my friends .. ppl stop asking about it .. they felt a bit shame if the girl is doing well.. now-a-dayz if a girl is earning good the dowry issue is not spoken out loud .. but they expect some gifts ..

And my telugu roommate told how they still actually discuss about dowry money before marriage .. so some parts really not improving .. hopefully our and later generations will make it work against dowry ..

Hey! I see you changed your username successfully๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Yeah, I agree with your views!
The upcoming generations have to make a change, cause sadly the older generations are extremely unlikely to change their mindsets.๐Ÿฅฑ
836772 thumbnail

Originally posted by: tiahalder

how did i miss such a nice post like this..
dowry is so prevalent even in highly educated society..that education knowledge all seems to futile..i absolutely agee with ChhanChhan when she said "kabhi gift ke naam pe ...etc etc.." the show is very much realistic..
its pathetic when i see rich highly educated doctors/engineers are taking car in the name of gifts during marriage..
dowry is indeed so deep rooted..and unless the girl is independent ..self conscious and strong enough to speak against it..it will remain like this..its cheap mentality when a girl is attached with a price tag..
well hats off to ChhanChhan ,her friend and her friend's father..the show is indeed different than other stereotype family dramas or saas bahu serials..

Thanks!
I know, it is indeed pathetic. The whole dowry system which demeans a girl to a type of cattle.
LIKEDMG thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Sonia...Very nice post.๐Ÿ‘...
It depends on the situation of that time . Dowry system is rooted in India so much. It is one of primary social issues.As I believe whatever the decissions ..it shud b taken by the girl and her family shud support her .I love this part bcoz Anitha's father wid her /support her...bcoz I knew girls cannt take the decission bcoz returning to parents bcome more mental torture...not the education as we all knw that doctors/IAS/Enngs etc take dowry and ask for more dowry w/o any hesitation... parents must care abt it and teach it to their sons/daughters...it must b started from our home only...
836772 thumbnail

Originally posted by: LIKEDMG

Sonia...Very nice post.๐Ÿ‘...

It depends on the situation of that time . Dowry system is rooted in India so much. It is one of primary social issues.As I believe whatever the decissions ..it shud b taken by the girl and her family shud support her .I love this part bcoz Anitha's father wid her /support her...bcoz I knew girls cannt take the decission bcoz returning to parents bcome more mental torture...not the education as we all knw that doctors/IAS/Enngs etc take dowry and ask for more dowry w/o any hesitation... parents must care abt it and teach it to their sons/daughters...it must b started from our home only...

Thanks Suji!๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Yep! I agree, everything starts at home! And parents should teach their children to go against dowry and not care about what society thinks!