Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

836772 thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: kallavism

We generally think education is to gain knowledge. The evil dowry system has changed this as well. The greedy parents admit their sons to professional courses so that these degrees fetches them a huge dowry. There is demand for land, gold, cash & car.

The latest trend is sponsoring the higher education of the groom. After spending a fortune on their children's education, the father has to sponsor even the Master's degree of their future son-in-law.

My niece was mentioning that her friend in college is faking among his relatives that he is doing M.tech when he is studying B.E. because M. tech degree earns him more dowry. These degrees fetch them above 1 crore rupees dowry apart from other material gains.

Even girls have to change their attitude. They just should not accept that if they want a good & well to do family they should give what the groom's side demand.

Unless, today's youth take a tough stand against this evil practice, we cannot expect any drastic change in the society.

In the serial they showed in a nice way how the girl's father did not succumb to the pressure.

Well said!
We cannot expect the older generations to change their mindset in relation to dowry practices, but we can reform the mindsets of the upcoming generations. So our generation has to take a stand against these barbaric practices.
And thanks for bringing up the education facet to this!
This is the main point of attraction and as you said the higher educated the perspective groom is, the more dowry he fetches in turn. Quite pathetic isn't it?
And it is absolutely ridiculous that now the bride's parents are having to pay for their SIL's education as a form of dowry!
836772 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ddds

Nice Post!

In my country Dowry is so common.They give dowry to make the Groom party happy.And some give Dowry so that their daughter does'nt have to face all the "tanas".
But the thing Dowry makes the Groom party more greedy as after the marriage they keep on demanding things.
In my country its like a ritual.But some GOOD Groom party does'nt like the Dowry system and I RESPECT THEM.

RES

Thanks!
Yep, the practice of dowry is pretty pathetic and barbaric!
Sadly parents don't realize that in the process of dowry, they are downgrading and downcasting their own daughter(s).
I also respect all those who neither take dowry, nor give it.
Edited by Miss Cherie - 11 years ago
Sidda8 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Nice post. I've never come across dowry issues being born and raised in Canada. My mom's father (my grandpa) had gifted all his daughters money when they were getting married but it was given to the girls and not their in laws. It was their family tradition to gift the girls once they wedded. My dad's family didn't ask for anything. So my family didn't face such issues but I've seen enough Indian movies and shows to understand it a bit. It's awful to know what some people would do just to get some money. They get a precious DIL and yet they neglect her because all they care about is money. They might as well marry their sons to money making machines!
441597 thumbnail

To tell the truth, I think its unrealistic to portray this situation in an urban setting. Divorces are galore in cities, so this whole deal of "slandered reputation" doesn't hold water and even sounds surrealistic.

Even in villages, I don't think its that big of a stigma for a mere engagement to be broken. Broken marriage, definitely. Engagement---NO. But I guess, people are in such a hurry to "crack a deal" for their daughters, they leave no stone unturned to clinch the first good match that pops up. Even at the cost of giving in to something as immoral as dowry, thinking that they might not come across such a good match again. It's a set way of thinking, and sadly, no amount of dowry death news articles can override the psychological pressure to "get a good match as soon as possible" in rural areas.

FairyLiquidSoap thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Mon Cherie Ms cherie am res for the moment and will tackle it over the weekend So loved your post🤗 well articulated and somethng to think
Ash_Rajendra8 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
My answers are too lame i guess, no offence to anybody .My mood is elsewhere and on high actually cant say whether i make sense or not.

And she finds out months later. What would be her reaction?
she must ask all that money to be put in her account if its given then she should have .
What would she do when she finds out that they want another Rs. 25 0000?

sorry , no money.father is no ATM , neither father has not invested in any retirement policy.
Would she tell her dad, or keep it to herself and possibly endure mental or even physical abuse from her in-laws and hubby?
better to log complaint at police station and keep your parents informed.hubby is not good so start legal process for separation.girl should be strong and should not take all these torture.
Would she have the guts to walk out on her hubby? Or would she fear being stigmatised in society?

she should have guts for both to walk out and even to face society for that matter . fear will lead to self destruction.
Would it actually be a social stigma if she walks out on her hubby, or would society just ignore (I doubt that will happen).

see you become part of society eventually .initially it may effect you (if they does) but they will also shut their mouth over a period . practically speaking , shift to a new place and rent a flat,start a new life , stay away from your relatives (bad) then society will not even effect you .society will also get tired of all this.
What if she turns out to be pregnant? Would that have an effect on her decision?

Employment is solution for majority of problems (especially for women) in our society to make a living or a new beginning in life. If she is firm abt what she wants in life like single being mother then she should opt for it.

for her stay they want money and dont you think expenses would double if they want baby. what would husband and their family do?

what if she is able to conceive but husband is not able to ? (anyway this is another debatable topic)

Will she become depressed and suffer the same outcome as Arti.

better not to play with fire (read dowry) in life to get burnt.

Now, I may be banned if i say this here. We must encourage court marriage and intercaste/religion love marriages .

Man should be man of responsibilities standing on his own feet , only then opt for marriage and say NO to dowry.

836772 thumbnail

Originally posted by: FairyLiquidSoap

Mon Cherie Ms cherie am res for the moment and will tackle it over the weekend So loved your post🤗 well articulated and somethng to think

🤗 Thanks Swathi!
No worries, take your time!
preeti_25 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
these r my views which i shared in other thread of oyster
since i m a south indian , we here give lots gold to the bride . i started growing up in the society of dowry at every stage of life as chan chan said ek baar diya to har baar , i personally dont like this give and take , so i was always nervous as how i m going to face this system of marriage , u know in south the grooms family proudly asks for dowry stating various reason as ur gril is not beautiful or black skin tone , or the groom is a engineer or doctor , the reasons goes on and on , thank god mine was a love marriage , and i and my husband never asked for any money or gold , but that was not the case with my younger sister my dad took a loan for fulling their demands ,i voiced against it but it all went to deaf ears , after 3 yrs still now it has not stoped , they ask indierctly like after marriage first diwali , first delivery expenses , first brithday/ anniversary and on .
i think the society will not change until we try to stand up for urselfs
moomin4455 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
The dowry issue is such an ingrained part of society...it's a given and it's not just present in Asian cultures, you'll be surprised to find that mentality even in some European countries...

Most fathers would give in to ensure their daughter is married - a broken marriage, nay a broken engagement can have stigma attached to it in some communities. Case in point: my dad's friend's daughter got married and was 'sent back home' in 10 days ie marriage broken, because she didn't bring enough dowry. Before she was sent back my dad says she was verbally and physically abused.

If every family stands up and says they refuse to give or accept dowry then we may see an equal footing between the bride and groom...

I applaud the man who stands against giving dowry because he does not think of his child as cattle - I wish others would do this and the son's family would say "you're daughter is joining our family, this is worth more than any dowry".
836772 thumbnail
For those who I haven't replied to, I will do so on the coming Tuesday. Enjoying easter holiday. 😆