Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

836772 thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: ipkknd_2011

Dowry is a horrible practice that has such deep roots in many families in the Indian subcontinent. It cuts across religion, caste, and social status of families; which is very unfortunate. Even well educated and respectable families indulge in this regressive practice either in the name of "gifting" or "tradition"! 😑

Unless, men in families start taking a stand against this menace, not much will change. What I would like to see in CC is for Manav to insist that he will marry CC sans any dowry. That ought to teach people like Umaben!

Having said that, there are many families that would consider it shameful to indulge in this atrocity. I am sure many of us here can agree on that; most of us I hope, come from families that are brave enough to rise above it.

TM, let's here it from the soon "bride-to-be"! πŸ˜›

What do you want to hear from me?Tongue
No, I did not buy my future hubby.Tongue
Yeah, I really hope Chanchan marries into Manav's family without having to pay dowry!
Or else all her preaching about changing mindset of society really holds no value.
Edited by Miss Cherie - 11 years ago
-ARSHI- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
nice post.. yes the dowry issue was to focus umaben's attitude towards society and others
Frigate thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Miss Cherie

What do you want to hear from me?πŸ˜›

No, I did not buy my future hubby.πŸ˜›
Yeah, I really hope Chanchan marries into Manav's family without having to pay dowry!
Or else all her preaching about changing mindset of society really hold no value.

See, goes to show that "real" people in our own societies (granted you live outside of the subcontinent, but there are people like you and me in that region too) that are above these social atrocities. So, we can hope and shows such as CC will hopefully empower other youngsters to follow!
I am sure dowrty will not be part of CC-Manav wedding. Else, the whole purpose of what happened today will be lost!
Oyster thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Ohhh I didn't know that Aarti was Purvi's sister...

As for what she would have done.. I think she would walk out of her husband's life even if she was pregnant.. At least that's the feeling I get given these girls' repulsion for dowry
836772 thumbnail

See, goes to show that "real" people in our own societies (granted you live outside of the subcontinent, but there are people like you and me in that region too) that are above these social atrocities. So, we can hope and shows such as CC will hopefully empower other youngsters to follow!
I am sure dowrty will not be part of CC-Manav wedding. Else, the whole purpose of what happened today will be lost!

Yeah! Let's hope that shows such as CC will empower these individuals and they take steps towards change!
Yeah, true. Dowry most probably won't be a part of CC-Manav wedding.
836772 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Oyster

Ohhh I didn't know that Aarti was Purvi's sister...

As for what she would have done.. I think she would walk out of her husband's life even if she was pregnant.. At least that's the feeling I get given these girls' repulsion for dowry

I don't know actually! I just assumed that Arti was Purvi's sisπŸ˜•
I don't know if she would walk out if she was pregnant. Even though she seems repulsed by dowry, I don't think she would have the courage and heart to walk out in she was pregnant.
It would be a big deal for her.
Frigate thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Miss Cherie

I don't know actually! I just assumed that Arti was Purvi's sisπŸ˜•

I don't know if she would walk out if she was pregnant. Even though she seems repulsed by dowry, I don't think she would have the courage and heart to walk out in she was pregnant.
It would be a big deal for her.

Err... Sorry, who is Arti?
RickyBahl thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Well articulated postπŸ‘

Ok few points

• If its arrange marriage than it means the parents have taken the responsibility of finding a suitable groom for the daughter.Its the responsiblity of father to ensure he goes ahead with the proper selection of groom. So if after marriage purvi finds out that the groom is demanding money...i wud expect purvi to sit n enjoy . Cause for me its father who is responsible on first place to select a groom who demanded dowry.Its not about how many times demand has been made.Even if a single demand is made in the first meet. The father shud reject the proposal. In the first meet between families and if the boy and girl like each other than the Girl's father shud clearly tell i wont give dowry.Rest is your wish. Iam not forcing my daughter on you

• secondly i dont know about other families but certan families do background check of the groom n family before marriage through spies through the neighbours and seek opinion about the groom and his family..So a family shud always do this background check.

• The girl has to clearly talk about dowry to the man before marriage.
For me prevention is better than cure.So its best to sort out it clearly before hand

But the other fact is that even daughters desire to carry many objects of luxuries..cause she wants to live in with her in- laws house with her head held high.Dowry is now about status symbol. The groom's father wants to tell evryone that we hv got a daughetr in law from aristrocratic family and we got many things. It is considered as a shame if someone brigs a bride with nothing along her.

If society stops taunting other people about what their daughetr in law has bought from her paternals ..i think this mentality can be cured till some extent.
Such questions irk groom's father and hence they look for bride with rich resources.

836772 thumbnail

Err... Sorry, who is Arti?

Arti is the girl in the flashback, who has killed herself due to this dowry issue.
Aphrodite88 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I dont think i am the right person to answer your question as from what i have seen in the place i live and grew up in...there has never been a mention of dowry in real life before. I still remember the first time i heard this word and it was while i was watching old movies and the groom's family demanded so many things from the bride's family from cars to bikes to land and what not. If this was one scenario, the other one is where the daughter-in-law is killed because of dowry. And i still remember asking my mum...does this really happen?

When i saw that scene yesterday, i really felt bad for the father. A father who pampered his daughter and gave her everything since young and now wants to marry her off to a good family and he thought by giving them 25lakhs, they will keep his daughter happy. He did it for the well being of his daughter and for the marriage to take place well but what he forgot that was highlighted was that once the groom's family know that they can bend you to their will, they will continue to do that in future too.

From what i have been reading in the forums regarding giving dowry and taking it, i have realised its a situation thats lived and experienced by many people. It has become deeprooted in the Indian customs i feel and sadly a curse too. The only way this situation can be changed is by taking a stand against it and having a open and progressive mindset.

This was highlighted when the father realised the extremity that his action can cause to his daughter's future life. He saw the connection between taking dowry, asking for more dowry in future and Arti's death. A father who could give everything for his daughter can never see her being unhappy, tortured and at the end dead. He took a stand for his daughter and cancelled the marriage...a huge message that sent out my daughter is more important than society.

I liked the scene more coz instead of the bride's family pleading to ths groom's family that their family honour, daughter's life is at stake...it was the groom's family that was saying all that. I jumped up and started clapping coz this was the first time i have ever heard it! (its always been my son can find million girls but your daughter...and they will mock the bride's family argh!!)

I just love this part! And the producers sent out the right message to the audiences. Changes in society can only take place when we change ourselves first...and the father's stand to call off marriage is the first i hope to many more to come :-):-) Love will always preside society!

My heart broke for Purvi though when she was speaking to her dad...she is so innocent! Hopefully she finds someone who is worthy of her :-):-) She does not deserve this family at all!