Changing Channels: From Star Plus to Sony TV

TheGreatKingdom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago

Many big names have shifted from starring in Star Plus shows and then being on Sony TV shows.

The first big name to move was Smriti Irani, her fallout with Ekta Kapoor meant that the left Kyunki for a while. In that while she went on to produce and star in Virrudh - har rishta ek kurukshetra which was placed at the 9.30pm slot (later 10pm) on Sony. However, despite having a powerful cast including herself, Vikram Gokhale, Sushant Singh, Achint Kaul, Zarina Wahab and Apara Mehta the show only lasted 10 months with 165 episodes. TRPs of the show were below 1.0 but the show did manage similar ratings in the afternoon reruns.

Pallavi Subhash, seen in Star and Balaji show Karam Apna Apna was the next to be seen in a Sony show, Godh Bharai. Co-starring Shakti Anand the show was only to last six months with 100 episodes being aired. The show never managed to catch audience eyes and had TRP of only 0.2-0.5.

In May 2011, Sony turned to another Ekta Kapoor show starring Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki super star Sakshi Tanwar. Also starring Ram Kapoor, Bade Acche Lagte Hain has managed to woo the audience with its mature love story. TRPs for the show have been very good, but recently have decline to around 1.8, yet still the channels number one daily fiction show. The show is on 381 (as at 21/02/13) episodes and should continue to be on air with it being Sonys number one daily show.

With the success of Bade Acche Lagte Hain and Kaun Banega Crorepati Sony was slowly moving to the top of the ratings. Next, in November 2011, Sony welcomed Shweta Tiwari, who made her name through Stars Balaji show Kasauti Zindagi Ki and then reality show Big Boss. Parvarish – kuch khatee kuch meethi was the name, the show is currently on 307 (as at 21/03/13) episodes, but maybe on the brink of the axe with TRPs, once at 2.5, now managing TRP of only 1.0.

The awaited comeback of Aamna Sharif was to take place on Sony TV. Having been successful in Kahin Toh Hoga which aired on Star TV, Aamna tried her hand in Bollywood before returning to TV with Sonys Honge Judaa Na Hum. The show which struck a chord with its promos, was not able to bring in TRPs and ended in March 2013, six months after first airing having completed 107 episodes.

Now to 2013s new shows, Sony has turned to the younger audiences. Starting with Soumya Seth, seen in Stars Navya, is now the lead of Sonys Dil Ki Nazar Se…Khubsoorat. The show has recently started (in February) and looks good.

Now to March, after the abrupt ending of Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? last year, Sony has managed to entice Sanaya Irani for Optimystixs Chhan Chhan. The show has a stellar cast and looks like it will be a hit, but with many online followers of the leading lady, the question remains whether Indian viewers will tune in to watch Chhan Chhan at 9pm on TV, as so to help the TRP cause.

By TheGreatKingdom 😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Arshig8 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Because of Sanaya , most of the fans like us will watch Chanchan in telly not online, so definitely Chanchan will get good TRPs, inshallah
Midnightsorrow thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Praying for the best I want this show to be a success.
..Divya.. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
hope chanchan gets good TRPs 😊
princessunara thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

thanks for sharing the article..

my two cents on this..
well i pray and hope that the show does garner the TRPs too..

but i am glad of the acknowledgement by the writer that Sanaya Irani's most fans comprise of thousands and thousands of youngsters across the globe, who are mostly online viewers or at the least are overseas and thus even if watched on TV itself will not be counted for TRPs...

but that itself speaks that Sony as a channel which is global indeed already is certain of the international viewers' tuning in for the show..

But now coming to the TRP audience. that I believe and expect the storyline itself will manage to capture.
Because for a change a show seems to actually deliver on the promise of a 'different story' because there are many aspects of Chhan Chhan that sets it miles apart from the rest.. starting with the financial independence as well as high educational and contemporary background of the female lead.
least of which are the female lead having a rich, supportive family which would be very much having equal to upper hand in the relationship and thus the girl will in true sense manage to remain independent..

and all these will show us a bahu NOT having to cow down before a saas out of majboori..

and hopefully intelligent, educated and open minded audiences will tune in to watch this beautiful tale..

priya_cool_123 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
i am actually campaigning for it.
woundedsoul thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
InshaALLAH this show wl get good TRP
292274 thumbnail
hope the best for sanaya n the show...
Asma- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Arshig8

Because of Sanaya , most of the fans like us will watch Chanchan in telly not online, so definitely Chanchan will get good TRPs, inshallah

I wish i could watch on Tv , but in france we have only Zee Tv 😭 so it will be online for me
OnepoundChic thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
i dun live in india so i would be watching it online only ..hope indians watch it on tv!