.nerfherder thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Unsung

He felt claustrophobic, a strange occurrence considering the numerous gatherings which formed his very lifestyle.

The reason was fairly obvious.

He glanced down at the glass, his long, silky hair falling over his eyes; chocolate brown. The glass was empty. He slammed the glass on the counter.

"Fill me up."

The bartender shot the man a peculiar look. The man seemed intent on getting himself drunk; seldom did people go for the sixth drink while attending an engagement party. Especially, people like the man in front of him, who were CEOs of big successful company. Grudgingly though, the young man behind the counter filled the glass.

'You're such a moron' his conscience told him repeatedly and with increasing fervour with each drink he gulped. But he didn't need telling, he knew, from the moment he decided to attend this party, that he'd act like a complete moron. He couldn't help it. The music band was loud in the corner, playing a sappy instrumental and it made him want to puke. He knew it wasn't fair, any other day (preferably those which occurred six months ago) he'd have loved the band. Now, it filled him with despair and loneliness.

The sixth drink burned in his throat.

He looked up, glancing at the huge chandelier with fascination akin a six year old and a goofy grin came up his face. It was so shiny...so very shiny. Just like her gown. Her golden gown. The whole hall was filled with pretty woman in pretty gowns but none held his attention like her and her very pretty golden gown. He remembered her saying how she didn't like golden that much and gave a derisive snort. Only six months down the line and her favourite colour had already changed. He wondered what else had.

"Another refill."

"No."

"I really wasn't asking."

"I'm sorry sir, this is an engagement party. I can't allow you to get dead drunk."

"Well, damn you, good-for-nothing-pretty-face-in-a-suit."

Sulking, he slumped on the barstool, gazing at the elite crowd clear in his blurry vision. There was his best friend, Singhania boy with his girlfriend. Chatting with them were his old college mates, till Singhania boy decided to come up to him. Reyaansh Singhania sat on the adjacent barstool and glared at him disapprovingly.

"I'm alright, Singhania boy."

"Of course you are. I'm kinda missing our drink-till-your-brain-turns-into-mush routines, I can't believe you'd do that without me."

He chuckled. "You are funny Rey."

Reyaansh sighed, feeling helpless for his best friend. "You shouldn't have come today."

"She looks beautiful today. Gold looks very good on her."

"Look-"

"-I'm fine Rey. Stop mothering me."

"Oh, you are certainly not fine."

He slammed his hand on the counter, anger and irritation rising inside him. "Fine! I'm not okay. I'm dead depressed she's engaged to someone else after a mere six months following our break up. I'm upset that she had the galls to invite me and that I'm unable to get my head off her. I'm drowning myself in drinks because I'm very much pissed. And I'm even more pissed now because that pretty boy won't give me any more refills and I have to listen to my best friend acting like my mother and infuriating me to the point of having a breakdown."

Reyaansh just stared.

He sighed. "I'll deal with it Rey. I've always have."

"It's not everyday that Sharon gets married."

He crumbled at her name, every tiny effort he'd made at keeping himself together for tonight, failed. He lost every ounce of his strength and his posture screamed out his defeat. Two years of a happy and healthy relationship, failed because of a job he had aspired for in all his life. Because, they couldn't act like mature adults.

Because love hadn't been enough for them.

It was his fault, mostly. Scratch that, it was all his fault.

"Stop blaming yourself. You both had your own share of mistakes." Reyaansh said.

"Mine overshadowed hers, Rey. I had been warned, multiple times. And I screwed it up. Now, I've lost her, for good." his fingers curled into his palm.

"No."

"No? I haven't lost her?"

"Maybe. But you aren't completely at fault and you have to accept that. I'm not going to watch you punish yourself for single handedly destroying whatever you had between yourself. Not when she's trying so hard to move on."

He got it. He was surprised he didn't realise it sooner.

"She put you up to this. She feels guilty."

"What? No-"

"Don't fret, Reyaansh. You can tell her that I'm not going to drink to my death. She can stop feeling guilty." He could feel the fury rising inside him.

"Will you hang on? I'm not here because she asked me to be. I'm here because I care about my friend-s."

He was silent. He felt exhausted. He felt helpless.

Somewhere he had hoped she had cared enough to ask Rey to spy on him, talk to him. Hoped that she still gave a damn about him, the man who had been everything to her till six months ago. And it killed him to realise, for the nth time, that it was over. She really was moving on, with a man who probably made her happier. Cared about her more than his wishes. A man who wasn't him.

The crumbing dam inside him broke, and with it gushed the river of sorrow.

He couldn't do it. Couldn't live without her. Couldn't pass a single afternoon without wishing for her to be there, beside him,

Couldn't watch her move on.

He shouldn't have come.

His head drooped down.

"I screwed up Rey. I lost her."

Edited by Rhapsody. - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.nerfherder thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Author's Note.

Hello people.

I'm back with another sadistic one shot. This one's been pending for a long time. Now, I was thinking about writing Sharon's POV for this but then I'll carry on with it only if you want me to.

And no hitting me for all the angst. ☺️

Cheers
Rhapsody.

P.S. Add Nish_PMs for well, PMs regarding my works and also hit like on my brand new FB page ' Spiralling Ink' for updates regarding my works.

Adios.
Edited by Rhapsody. - 8 years ago
.Vrushanholic. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
You always find a way to torture them don't you?
Anyway, it was beautiful as always.
I always loved Swayam's povs and this was a brilliant one.
The words described how broken he was.

Keep writing.
mythreyii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Y yy??
Y do u have to punish swayum..
Well the is was well penned
And different
..MiStLeToE.. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Reserved.

^Unreserve^

Nish Darling, I loved this and to be honest I don't want you to write Sharon's POV. I don't want to know what does she think I really don't want but then for that I have my own reasons.

Swayam *sigh*

Theh say the most scary thing about distance is you dont know if you are missed or long forgotten. And I think nothing can be worse than the feeling that you are forgotten by the person whom you miss every single second. So yeah I understand Swayam and his hardship when he is trying to keep himself together when he is dying inside. When he thought at least she cared for him but turns out she doesn't *sigh*

Singhania Boy is a friend not everybody is lucky to have.

Please for god sake do not write Sharon's POV. -_-

Chitra :)
Edited by ..MiStLeToE.. - 8 years ago
aneesha93 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Different and awesomely written.
Thanks for the pm
srinidhi94 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
You did that again
Poor swayam...how can he see Sharon getting engaged to someone else
I hate you for what you did to swayam and love you for writing it so well
Rockingbhardwaj thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Different one and sad too

But I liked it
Thanks
prachi_vrushan thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail