.nerfherder thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

I am stuck between two fat ladies. In the crowded local train. I am late for office and I have an important meeting in 15 minutes.

And I thought life could get worse.

Dangling on a handle in a local train praying for my job to be secure is probably not the best time to start contemplating over life. But when you do it everyday, the absurdness of the fact that you do it decreases. Or so I think. I push my spectacles back up and clutch my satchel tighter. The train lurches uniformly and various buildings whoosh past me. I glance at my watch and it says 10:20. That gives me 10 more minutes to reach my office, else my boss will skin me alive. And I know I am not exaggerating. Beads of perspiration cover my forehead as I tap my foot in desperation. When will my station arrive? I knew I had to wait just for a few minutes more-

"What the hell!"

Fat lady 1 crashes on me as the train gives a violent lurch. I feel my face getting squashed under her monstrousarm and try to push her away with all my might, giving her a scandalized look. She mumbles an inaudible 'sorry' but I knew she was as sorry as the handle I was holding. The train reaches my station and I get down, heaving a sigh of relief. With 5 minutes to go, I rush out of the station and cross the bustling road outside it without paying much heed to the vehicles on it. It was dangerous and careless to do so, but who cares; I need my job. I thank God for placing my office right in front of the railway station. Which happens, like everyday.

I enter the office and run inside the lift, jabbing the button of the floor I am placed in. I still had 2 minutes in my kitty.

PING.

I dash towards the conference room and kick open the door, my shoulder's hunched after all the running. I pant and slump down on the chair relieved that my job was intact.

"Miss Rai Prakash, good to see you on time."

I stand up and turn around to see my boss stride in, his placid eyes fixed on me as he walks towards his chair. I fix myself roughly and nod at him curtly. A tiny spasm flashes across his face taking form of a slight smirk. Only I know how much he would have been smiling if I had been even a minute late. Seeing his gaze still fixed on me, I am reminded of the night, the one I am not supposed to think of according to myself, let alone speak of it. My cheeks gain colour and I look away. He sits down and I place the file in front of him. He opens his mouth to say something but at the same instant, the door opens and the owners of various companies gush in, greeting my great boss.

"Mr.Shekawat. Pleased to meet you." Mr. Khuranna shakes my boss Swayam Shekawat's hand vigorously.

I overcome the urge to laugh seeing the healthy Mr. Khuranna slap the tall and lanky Shekawat's back, causing him to stagger. Shekawat glances at me sideways and I look away. God forbid he ever knows I call him 'Shekawat' in my mind. Soon everyone settles down and I take the seat next to Shekawat, nervous as a teenager. His very presence next to me is intimidating. He realises it but causually lets it go. That wicked man. The meeting starts and everyone gets involved in the discussions, except me and the other secretaries. I realise there are none. I observe silently as the owners talk. Even more carefully when Shekawat does. He stands up and talks with such a powerful aura around him that the others listen to him, stunned. After finishing as he sits down, I see droplets of sweat on his forehead. Out of duty, I offer him my handkerchief which he takes readily. Our hands touch by chance and I freeze momentarily at his touch. Splendid, I think. His pupils dilate as he takes the cloth and wipes his forehead. I smirk as I catch the tiredness on his face. But I keep mum. Shekawat will do anything but admit that he is tired and can't possibly go on.

Shekawat catches me smirking and his eyebrows narrow dangerously, his eyes searching me. I gulp. His leg brushes with mine and my face shoots up, questioning him. He simply shrugs and turns his attention back to the slide show being displayed leaving me disdainful. A few minutes later, I am asked to get out, as the following discussions were supposed to be 'private'. Screw you Shekawat.

He storms into my cabin, shutting the door firmly. Alarmed, that is what I am.

"What are you doing here, Sir?"

He walks towards me without answering. Confused as hell, I step back, till it's just me between him and the wall. All the bravery I usually show to people has vanished now and I find myself very much self-conscious. Shekawat moves his face closer to mine and I tilt my head away, eyes closed. His cheeks brush past mine and I can feel him breathing down my neck. My heart betrays me and skips a few random beats. I gulp once again, only this time it was very audible, proved by the fact that Shekawat gave a snort at that instant.

"Are you intimidated by me, Miss. Rai Prakash?"

I do not answer. All I can think of is that night when I encountered a different Shekawat, one who had me in his control that night. I assume he is thinking of the same because I had told him that night that he intimidates me. His hands move down my arms and reach my closed fists. They manage to open them and he intertwines his hands with mine. When a thought strikes me; Don't CCTV cameras in this office work? Mine, atleast? The answer strikes me a second later; Shekawat might have switched mine off.

"It's bad manners to not answer when someone asks you something, Miss. Rai Prakash" he whispers in my ears. My eyes snap open and I glare at him. He grins in return. I gather enough strength in my arms and push him away. Good lord, my boss is such a pig. A pig I like though. I give him a horrified look as the thought crosses my mind. His smirk grows prominent and he steps back, his eyes scalding me. For a split second I see a softness in his eyes which is replaced by the same foxy look the very next second. What is this guy? I wonder. Shekawat seems to have some serious issues and was confusing me along with himself.

He walks back, his gaze fixed on me while I stare at his perfectly ironed suit. Deciphering the design on it is way simpler than making out what is going on in the twisted mind of Swayam Shekawat.

"I'll get my answer soon Miss. Rai Prakash." He says and exits my cabin; I heave a sigh of relief.

And I thought life could get more complicated.

Edited by Rhapsody. - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.nerfherder thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Hello folks.
Straight to the point - this OS is dedicated to Chitra [..MiStLeToE..] as an advance gift. (Her birthday tomorrow.)
I am posting it today as I cannot do so tomorrow.

Don't have anything else to say.

Cheers :)
NV.
Edited by VishaD. - 9 years ago
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
EDITED

Nishi,

This prose is open-ended in a non-end manner, as though this is the middle of a story in which something happened that led to this and this will eventually lead to something else. Hanging in there, all of it.

You described how she saves her job very theatrically, explaining every detail to the T and it helps me as a reader to go with the flow, makes me more interested to read it. That's good work!

Except I don't like office louu, least of secretory-boss angles. As much as I found your coming up with a fresh idea commendable and your imagination, amusing, I cannot like this Swayum guy. He's cocky and I don't have enough data about the night or any night or any day and so I cannot like him. Sharon, well, her story ends before I can decide whether I like her or not, her thoughts made a good read though.

Yes, I cannot press enough that right when I wanted more to unfold, the prose came to end. 😳

Okay, bye.

K
Edited by thegameison - 9 years ago
..MiStLeToE.. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Nishi I love You :*

I never thought you would remember my bday! Quite a pleasent surprise :)

Reserved.

This is like my first virtual gift ever! It was a surprise to see that post from your side on FB for me and you dedicated this to me.

Ah! I cant even tell you how happy I am.

This was so sexy in its own way. Swayam Shekhawat adorning a foxy look. . .Must have been something, huh?

Sharon and her inner talks they were so entertaining.

The last part was amazing to read. Really!The way Swayam comes teases her and then let her go leaving her confused and baffled. . . Damn just once someone give me a picture of Shantanu adorning that look. What fun it will be :)

I loved this. . .The characters are so fresh, crisp and are good enough to leave a linger on mind for sometime even after the story ends.

I am glad you dedicated this to me. Thank u so much Nishi.

Chitra :)
Edited by ..MiStLeToE.. - 9 years ago
agreatperhaps thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Hey!
Its amazing to see that you always manage to come up with such new and different ideas. This one was no less. Enjoyed reading it.

And happy birthday to your friend. :)
Rictusempra thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
This was something amazing. Liked it very much, indeed. The plot was good and very nicely penned.
Awesome deah! :)
-Aishwarya
..MiStLeToE.. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Unreserved on Page One :) <3
ExpectoPatronus thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
woowww... amazing... loved it totally... πŸ˜ƒ
ujwal_v thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail