Don’t feel very female always”- Konkona Sen Sharma

beena_jon thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 days ago

Konkona Sen Sharma is not someone to hold back her views, and in a recent tell all interview, she revealed the problematic aspects of the film industry, which is seldom talked about. In the first episode of the six-part series Fursat Mein Serious Baatein Season 2 on YouTube, Konkona, in an interview with Sucharita Tyagi, remarked, “It’s hugely problematic, patriarchal, regressive, and hierarchical. I mean, even in terms of catering. Who is allowed to sit where? Who is allowed to eat what? Where are the bathrooms? What people get away with?”

Elaborating further, she mentioned, “Only senior female actors and crew are respected, while other female crew members are often treated like furniture or equipment. Their bodies are pushed. It’s very difficult to work in that environment.” The strength of those women, she went on to explain, was inspiring since they kept working despite the terrible conditions

(35) “Don’t feel very female always”- Konkona Sen Sharma Interview | Fursat Mein Serious Baatein Season 2 - YouTube

Her statement comes after Meera Chopra, recently spoke out against Bollywood in an interview with another publication. “It’s a very close-knit industry. A lot of people don’t know what goes inside. Nobody knows where to start. When I came here, I didn’t know if I needed to meet a certain director, and how I needed to go about it. Nobody shares their numbers, and even if they do, the person never replies to your messages. There are many different cults in this industry, and you have to be a part of one group so that you keep getting work from that group,” she had said in an interview with Hitflix. A growing chorus of voices asking for reform in Bollywood emphasizes the need for a course correction.