Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 2 months ago
Given that his whole life revolves around Alia now, this is not such a crazy statement smiley36
RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Shaitan-Haiwan

Given that his whole life revolves around Alia now, this is not such a crazy statement smiley36

He has no one to blame for that but himself. If he's made audiences suffer, then it's only fair he must suffer too.

But really looking at KANK, you realize that this was probably the last major film with so many A-Listers all together. Each of the main cast was an A-Lister at their creative and commercial peak. Yes, even Abhishek, as much as I hate to admit it because this was the one period where his career was on a high. Basically the entire top row of the biggest stars of this era were in KANK. I can't think of any such cast assembled in all the years since which really shows how low Bollywood has fallen. It's probably not a coincidence that the year of KANK was the last year before we got two disastrous nepobaby Kapoors with Saawariya so 2006 was the beginning of the end.

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

I used to hate KANK but now I think it was way ahead of its time. It was not only about cheating and kind of normalised divorce which is still a stigma in the desi society.

Edited by 2RsFan - 2 months ago
Silpa20 thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

Comedy Crew

I read it as kabhi haa kabhi naa πŸ‘€and was thinking why comments are about karan johar direction πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ˜‚

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

on the contrary, it needed about 30 minutes more. All the deleted scenes. Should have been the length of K3G which is 3.5 hours long.

I found it a mistake to not include the deleted scenes and instead skip others...the deleted ones had been quite important for the story. ...e.g. the party song with the love making scenes in between wasn't needed ... the passionate scene before and the hotel-entrance scene said enough...and one already knew (through shown and - unfortunately - deleted scenes and Mitwa) how caring Dev felt for Maya. Also the Amitji-Abhishek dance scene wasn't 'needed' for the story but his changing attitude towards his son was vital for the story.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: 2RsFan

I used to hate KANK but now I think it was way ahead of its time. It was not only about cheating and kind of normalised divorce which is still a stigma in the desi society.

Didn't KJo say that so many people came up to him about how KANK made them realize their marriage was dead and it was time to end it? I think that's why this film is still so polarizing to this day, because it completely had an effect on people and forced them to open their eyes to truths that they were perhaps not ready for then.

In that sense, I would say it has a very powerful legacy and was far more impactful than so-called crowd pleasers or feel-good entertainment. Films like KKHH and K3G are comfort films but a film like KANK has truly shaped people's lives, for better or worse.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Originally posted by: Clochette

I found it a mistake to not include the deleted scenes and instead skip others...the deleted ones had been quite important for the story. ...e.g. the party song with the love making scenes in between wasn't needed ... the passionate scene before and the hotel-entrance scene said enough...and one already knew (through shown and - unfortunately - deleted scenes and Mitwa) how caring Dev felt for Maya. Also the Amitji-Abhishek dance scene wasn't 'needed' for the story but his changing attitude towards his son was vital for the story.

Yes, I agree. Some much needed subplots get their resolution (or inception) in those deleted scenes which causes minor discontinuities in the final film. Nothing to ruin the film for me but certainly would like those scenes added back.

I personally wouldn't remove either of the songs you listed but I love the KANK soundtrack. In fact, I remember at the time feeling annoyed that KANK only had about 5 songs since the norm at this point was for Bollywood movies to have usually 7-8 songs. Little did I realize this was going to be a constant trend and now we're lucky to even get 5 songs in a movie as we might only get 2 songs (one of them usually being in the end credits).

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Absolutely agree with the movie stirring open discussion...I followed all the shows and interviews about the subject at that time.

I also can understand your liking for the songs. However, in my feeling, KANK had a story to tell that didn't 'need' those two songs but would have needed the deleted scenes.

I had a similar feeling for MNIK where there had been no 'need' to stretch the Hurricane sequence...

Edited by Clochette - 2 months ago
Zeal17 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

He has no one to blame for that but himself. If he's made audiences suffer, then it's only fair he must suffer too.

But really looking at KANK, you realize that this was probably the last major film with so many A-Listers all together. Each of the main cast was an A-Lister at their creative and commercial peak. Yes, even Abhishek, as much as I hate to admit it because this was the one period where his career was on a high. Basically the entire top row of the biggest stars of this era were in KANK. I can't think of any such cast assembled in all the years since which really shows how low Bollywood has fallen. It's probably not a coincidence that the year of KANK was the last year before we got two disastrous nepobaby Kapoors with Saawariya so 2006 was the beginning of the end.

1. Wtf Ajay Devgan smiley36

2. I was playing name them all on the cover, but couldn't name one, bottom left 2nd person?