Why does everyone call Lopa 'Miss India'?

MagicMasala thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
She NEVER even participated in Miss India. That's a HUGE deal. It's a pageant which has given us Aishwarya Rai and Priyanka Chopra amongst others. She just turned out to be the SECOND RUNNER UP in a contest called 'Miss United continent 2016'...
What is that even? I've never even heard of it.

I mean I understand it's good marketing and reflects well on her to fabricate facts but let's not distort reality to the extent that pretty much anyone who refers to her, says that she represented her nation in a 'Miss India' contest, which isn't even possible considering the term 'India' itself refers to your nation.

She participated in United Continents. That's COMPLETELY different and under a different section. Even there she finished third. Commendable yes. Still nowhere near winning Miss India certainly!!
Edited by MagicMasala - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

saga_twilight thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
That is what I keep repeating everywhere everytime someone says Miss India. And miss united continents India was not won by her through competing..some committee decided to give it to her. And coming third too she didn't win any crown lol
dhinga1 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I actually did some reading up on this and I *think* what I found is that what used to happen was that the winner of Miss India would go to Miss Universe, the first runner up to Miss World and so on.
Things changed in 2010 - Femina Miss India lost the rights to sending a contestant to Miss Universe. They then changed Femina Miss India - to send the winner to Miss World, the runner up Miss Supranational, the second runner up to Miss Grand International and the third runner up to Miss United Continents.

So - technically - Lopa didn't win Miss India, but was like third runner-up (fourth placed overall) and was chosen to represent India in the Miss United Continents pageant ...

In Miss United Continents she was the second runner-up (placed third overall). She did win for best national costume. However, that may not amount to much - all Indian participants for Miss United Continents have managed to win the best national costume. Seems India has the best national costume...
desicrowd thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
In India usually many call a girl who is modelesque and good looking as Oye Miss India, in that terminology she is called as Miss India...

Otherwise also she is Miss India continent... selected by member or jury or whatever (even Miss India is selected by a jury) , she is and that's a fact... also she came second runner up and there were many who didn't even come up to the mark... so let's give where credit is due..:
dhinga1 thumbnail
Lopa is technically a Miss India participant.
She is also technically a Miss India winner - what she won was the right to participate in the Miss United Continents pageant... that was her prize for coming in 4th.

But it's hard to keep talking about somebody as "Femina Miss India United Continents" or "Miss United Continets nth runner-up"... hence probably people tend to shorten it to "Miss India" and let the nit-pickers amongst us figure it all out...
SluttySavitri thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: dhinga1

I actually did some reading up on this and I *think* what I found is that what used to happen was that the winner of Miss India would go to Miss Universe, the first runner up to Miss World and so on.

Things changed in 2010 - Femina Miss India lost the rights to sending a contestant to Miss Universe. They then changed Femina Miss India - to send the winner to Miss World, the runner up Miss Supranational, the second runner up to Miss Grand International and the third runner up to Miss United Continents.

So - technically - Lopa didn't win Miss India, but was like third runner-up (fourth placed overall) and was chosen to represent India in the Miss United Continents pageant ...

In Miss United Continents she was the second runner-up (placed third overall). She did win for best national costume. However, that may not amount to much - all Indian participants for Miss United Continents have managed to win the best national costume. Seems India has the best national costume...

What you're saying is correct.
(Now it's Miss Diva who sends contestants to Miss Universe and they automatically get the title of Miss India Universe).

The participants for Miss United Continents are chosen from the Top 5. That's because Miss United Continents isn't that recognised yet - in fact it's quite hard to find info about it on the Internet. While those who placed higher go on to represent India in more prestigious pageants. So no, she's not Miss India. I wonder why she and her team lie about this. 😕

I always thought that only the winner had the right to be called Miss India because she actually won the TITLE. Those who came 4th, 5th etc. don't have the title. :/

Edited by -smolderhalder. - 7 years ago
Love-u-all thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
What Lopa achieved for India is commendable and praise worthy. When someone make an effort and achieve something on national or international level should be given its due respect and appreciation and technically she can be called miss India .

Nitpicking on petty grievances just because she happened to infuriate some reality show fans, which is in no way related to her National level achievement is not nice.

I have even bashed her on her last few weeks of poor judgement and loosing the game and trophy but would always praise her national level achievements.
Edited by Love-u-all - 7 years ago
yadavneha thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
lopa did participated in miss India and came on 4 th position she was send to United continents and came 3 rd. And she also said that she also won a title named miss body beautiful which was also won by aishwarya
There is a vedio on voot named lopa paegent woes in which she explained everything

Like how she was disheartened. Whes she reached top 10 and could not reach above but again went for a paegent and came forth

https://www.voot.com/clip/unseen-undekha-day-88-lopa-s-pageant-woes/471225

denver_diva thumbnail

Originally posted by: -smolderhalder.

What you're saying is correct.
(Now it's Miss Diva who sends contestants to Miss Universe and they automatically get the title of Miss India Universe).

The participants for Miss United Continents are chosen from the Top 5. That's because Miss United Continents isn't that recognised yet - in fact it's quite hard to find info about it on the Internet. While those who placed higher go on to represent India in more prestigious pageants. So no, she's not Miss India. I wonder why she and her team lie about this. 😕

I always thought that only the winner had the right to be called Miss India because she actually won the TITLE. Those who came 4th, 5th etc. don't have the title. :/

In a Miss India Contest,all the finalists are called Miss India (so n so) , so n so being the name of the international pageant they would be representing India in.
All 5 finalists go to International pageants.
If there was only one winner each season, then Aishwarya Rai, Diya Mirza, Priyanka Chopra woud never be called Miss India. Sushmita Sen was 1st in Aishwarya Rai's year... Lara Dutta in Priyanka Chopra's

BebaakBegum thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
^I think a winner in a paegent would generally mean someone who won a crown and that sash atleast like they give to the Top 3. Rest of all are never called winners. Lopa was in Top5 out of the 16(I think) and was the 4th one to get out of the race, later the committee picked her for the united paegent. India has no selection paegent for it like Miss India since it's not recognised much and generally someone from Top5/7 are chosen to represent the country there. The crown we see was given during a photoshoot and is a sort of pre-requisite before she joined the bandwagon for the contest abroad. While a paegent like Miss United Continents doesn't even have 3 winners that coz it gives crown to only 1 contestant.