Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NYC4Life thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: SRKLuvr

I'm not a Jennifer fan. I became at one with Maya. I stepped in her shoes and saw things from her point of view. Destiny was against her from her birth. I will say this: we are rational people who have understood what love and life is. Maya had nothing experienced nothing saw nothing but pain. Trauma. Mental illness. Depression. Cheating. Insecurity. Loneliness. Friendless. No good upbringing. The love who had sworn beyhadh love and devotion tried to leave her when her illness began suffocating him. Please don't expect her to look at things from the point of view of a normal person. She is not normal. She did not see ever a normal life.

This is the first show of Jennifer's I watched and now I'm a fan for life! I understand mental illness and worked in that field for 5 years until it became too much for me and I switched careers. That was over 10 years ago, but I still remember the people I met and the things I saw. It was easy to see why Maya was insecure with the way she was brought up. Her dad was the devil and her mom was weak and could not be the strong role model that Maya needed. Maya needed professional help and her parents failed her. Maya was a product of her upbringing. Her childhood shaped the person she bacame. I definitely sympathize with that.

However, where I lose you is when you say her love tried to leave her when she was suffocating him. Arjun didn't leave her for years, even when she was controlling and he never cheated on her. He tried to help her through, but he never really left her until she killed his mother. When mental illness causes you to take someone's life then there isn't anything that your loved ones can do. She should have been institutionalized and needed to get treatment. Arjun's character let her get away with a lot like cameras and such. I would have liked to see him talk her down, but she was beyond reason at that point.

This was Maya's story from the beginning. Arjun, Sanjh and the rest of the cast were just people she encountered along the way which helped contribute to her illness and make it worse. We all feel bad for the character of Maya b/c even in the end she was still that little girl who wanted to be loved. The love she got was never enough and that stems from her insecurities. There are so many Maya's out there (not to her extreme), but we are human and can only handle so much. You can't blame a spouse for trying and not being able to live that way. That's not any way to live. In my opinion, Arjun should've gotten her help when her love turned obsessive, but he let her get away with it for 3 years. Those 3 years were just as lonely and isolated for him as they were for Maya.

We all feel for Maya and what she has been through, but we have to remember that along the way people died, lives/families were ruined and if that was our family she ruined we wouldn't be sticking around either. Arjun would never have been able to help her no matter what he did. It is beyond love or support at this point. Being locked up was the only way to handle it since no one got her treatment in the early stages. It was too late when she finally went to get treatment which obviously had no impact.

Anyhow, the ending was bittersweet. Maya was finally put out of her misery.
Edited by NYC4Life - 7 years ago
SRKLuvr thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
^^^ That's what I am saying too. In that 3 year gap between seasons 1 and 2, Maya began suffocating Arjun with her possessiveness and the security cameras etc. In season 2 they said that during these 3 years Arjun tried continuously to run away from her but she threatened to kill her self. He told her he hated her. He turned into a drunk. He said he hadn't touched her in 2 years.

Now, instead of this and knowing her past, he should have tried to get her treated the minute this all started. The minute he realised her mental condition was beginning to deteriorate. He should have taken over the role of dominant spouse, removed the cameras and taken her to get proper psychiatric help. His love would have cured her. He knows how she works and he knew how to get her in control. He knows he is her one and only weakness and if he said something without condition she would listen to him. He could have done it. He could have fulfilled his vachans. He didn't do this. He fell weak. He let her suffocation win and then blamed her for his ruined life.
NYC4Life thumbnail

^^^ That's what I am saying too. In that 3 year gap between seasons 1 and 2, Maya began suffocating Arjun with her possessiveness and the security cameras etc. In season 2 they said that during these 3 years Arjun tried continuously to run away from her but she threatened to kill her self. He told her he hated her. He turned into a drunk. He said he hadn't touched her in 2 years.

Now, instead of this and knowing her past, he should have tried to get her treated the minute this all started. The minute he realised her mental condition was beginning to deteriorate. He should have taken over the role of dominant spouse, removed the cameras and taken her to get proper psychiatric help. His love would have cured her. He knows how she works and he knew how to get her in control. He knows he is her one and only weakness and if he said something without condition she would listen to him. He could have done it. He could have fulfilled his vachans. He didn't do this. He fell weak. He let her suffocation win and then blamed her for his ruined life.

I think they are both to blame. Arjun was putting up with Maya instead of getting help, but there is no cure for mental illness. It's a lifelong thing for a majority and in Maya's case there was no reversing all those years of damage. Meds, therapy and support may make it more manageable, but there isn't any guarantee. I worked with adolescents who were in a bad place. They've lashed out and become violent even when on meds bc their experiences shaped who they were and no amount of therapy, attention or meds made that go away. It's not a disease that has a cure, just things to make it manageable.

Vachans when you get married are not etched in stone. If you married an abusive man who cheated on you would you stay? Those vachans are something we all want to keep when we are taking our pheras, but realistically it doesn't always happen. No one goes into a marriage hoping it fails, but circumstances dictate how we proceed. It was Arjun's right to walk away for his own sanity. His love for his sanity was more important than someone who he held responsible for ruining his life. Everyone has a breaking point and Arjun got to his.
SRKLuvr thumbnail
Nobody says to nibhao vachans in situations where the other person is at fault, is sane and is deliberately giving you grief. Who doesn't love you and who treats you wrong. There was nothing like this in this situation. Maya's mental illness made her act like a suffocation but we never saw Arjun even trying to fix this situation. The type of dialogues Arjun said before marriage indicated he knew that marrying Maya would be no easy ride and he always promised he would be there for her no matter what happened and would never leave her. He said even GOD would have to ask Maya for permission to separate him from her. He asked her for her heart her Jaan and her love till her last breath. Sorry for being the incurable romantic but those vachans mean something to me and I would not give up on my marriage or break those vachans if I were in arjun's Position.

If he couldn't fulfill this then he shouldn't have have made the vachans.
Japrilforever thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: NYC4Life

My thoughts in general, not directed at any one person...

This post is interesting in that you don't think that a love can ever turn sour. Lust, passion, obsession...these are all terms for things that people mistake for love. I liked the character of Maya. It showed you that no matter how much you love a person they can suffocate you and turn that love to repulsion. Maya 'loved' Arjun so much that she removed everything he loved from his life. His mother, brother, friends... Her love wasn't selfless, it was selfish. It was obsessive and controlling. She had tv monitors up and controlled every move Arjun made and he still stayed with her.
He tried to make his marriage work even when Maya was controlling. He wasn't even able to see his mom or brother and when he finally couldn't take it anymore Maya accused his brother of assault. Then she tried to kill him. None of these actions are justifiable under any circumstance unless you are borderline psychotic yourself, in which case one should definitely seek professional help right away. I won't even get into the fact that there were a trail of dead bodies wherever Maya went.

As for Sanjh, I never saw her make a move on Arjun. She loved him, but when he said he loved Maya she watched her best friend claim his happiness. She didn't go murder anyone or devise plans to get Arjun to be hers...she acted as someone who supported the decision of a person she loved unconditionally. Maya's love came with conditions, but Sanjh's love didn't. Sanjh even tried to move on, but Maya planted the guy and ruined her attempts at moving on with her life. Sanjh, like a true friend, helped and supported Arjun like a best friend does. Just because you're married doesn't mean your friend of the opposite sex can't be your friend any longer. Lifelong friendships which are based on love, trust and unconditional support can withstand anything.

Arjun was Maya's to lose. She screwed it up herself. She turned Arjun from a fun-loving person into a caged animal. She stripped him of everything that made Arjun who he was and isolated him from the world. That's not love. Love shouldn't be suffocating and if it is then you're in an unhealthy relationship and should seek counseling.

As far as Jhanvi goes, yes I blame her for things, but not for trying to kill a rabid animal...aka Maya. Jhanvi knew her daughter was unstable and should have had her institutionalized instead of letting her terrorize society at large. When Maya tried to kill Jhanvi and pin her daf's murder on Jhanvi that's when that mother/daughter relationship ended. She also tried to drown Jhanvi to gain Arjun's sympathy. Who does that!? Oh yeah, a lunatic. Maya killed dozens of people in the name of 'love', Jhanvi tried to have Maya's life ended so that Arjun, Sanjh, and society can live in peace.

As far as Arjun and Sanjh go. Arjun found solace in Sanjh when he was at the worst point in his life. The woman who claimed to love him got him convicted of her murder while his best friend helped him find the truth to save his life. I'm not sure why people hated Sanjh so much, but it's either they live in a fairytale world and think you can only love once and never again or they loved Jennifer Winget so much that they failed to see the characters and based their hatred according to that. I think Jennifer is one of the most amazing actresses out there and she played the role of Maya so well that I was upset by Maya dying in the finale. However, ask yourself this...If Jennifer played the role of Sanjh would you feel the same hatred towards and still support Aneri's character, Maya!? I doubt it.

Anyhow just wanted to share some final thoughts and it turned out longer than I thought. Can't wait for Jennifer's new show w/ Harshad Chopra!

TM, pls read this post. Brilliantly put. I get ur love for Maya. But whatever happened to her, SHE and SHE ALONE deserved it. NOBODY was responsible for her pain but herself!
SRKLuvr thumbnail
Good grief! She deserved what happened to her her whole life? Really??? EVERYONE in some way was responsible for making her what she was. Because a mental health patient cannot think rationally for themselves.

Do you reckon it's worth going back to S1 episodes to feel better? Yaar I am still so heartbroken at Maya's end. Need some good balm. 😭 isn't stopping.
Japrilforever thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Good grief! She deserved what happened to her her whole life? Really??? EVERYONE in some way was responsible for making her what she was. Because a mental health patient cannot think rationally for themselves.

Do you reckon it's worth going back to S1 episodes to feel better? Yaar I am still so heartbroken at Maya's end. Need some good balm. 😭 isn't stopping.

Give me proof she was mentally ill. Even the doctor said that Maya was fit n fine in court. So how can u be so sure she was mentally ill? Makers haven't cleared that, don't forget. Just the way they didn't bother to answer a thousand other questions that viewers have.

If she was indeed suffering, Maya had a choice. To get herself treated in the asylum. But she chose not to. Ur telling me that a thousand ppl drove her to commit crimes, yet she was clever enough to consciously not take pills meant to make her better? Assuming she was suffering from a mental illness, yes in psychosis insight is absent but insight develops later on.
A mentally ill person goes through a lot of emotional trauma and hates it. Some of Maya's acts look like she did not mind controlling, she did not mind getting destroyed in Arjun's love. How do u explain that?
Apart from Ashwin's trauma, I don't see anything else that made Maya what she is. And frankly, Ashwin's trauma is also not a valid reason for Maya to be what Maya is. Or was.
Lecter thumbnail
@SKRLuvr why are you trying to justify yourself again and again? You did your post, some will agree and some will not.
And for those who are not no matter how many times you explain it, nothing will change.
Edited by Lecter - 7 years ago
.Aurora. thumbnail

Nobody says to nibhao vachans in situations where the other person is at fault, is sane and is deliberately giving you grief. Who doesn't love you and who treats you wrong. There was nothing like this in this situation. Maya's mental illness made her act like a suffocation but we never saw Arjun even trying to fix this situation. The type of dialogues Arjun said before marriage indicated he knew that marrying Maya would be no easy ride and he always promised he would be there for her no matter what happened and would never leave her. He said even GOD would have to ask Maya for permission to separate him from her. He asked her for her heart her Jaan and her love till her last breath. Sorry for being the incurable romantic but those vachans mean something to me and I would not give up on my marriage or break those vachans if I were in arjun's Position.

If he couldn't fulfill this then he shouldn't have have made the vachans.

Hello. Been a silent reader on the forum. Stopped watching the show long back but kept myself updated and also watched the finale.
Sorry if u felt am interfering in your conversation just wanted to ask something. I have always read posts on this forum about how Arjun should have understood her mental illness and tried to cure her. How always the blame somehow or the other shifts to Arjun here. There are people with abusive pasts who turn out to be abusers. But there are also people with abusive pasts who have turned out to be good persons. They might not want people to go through such cruel situations that they experienced in the past. Maya could have been the latter. But she chose to be the former one. So no matter what isn't she responsible for her actions? Just like how we are responsible for what we do and what we say. Isn't it convenient to shift the blame on some other person to escape our deeds?

Arjun had a perfect life. Loving family, brother, friend everything. He had FREEDOM. Maya entered his life, deceived him (yes, she did deceive him for what she is not. She faked her real personality and that is no less than cheating), separated him from every relation except her and went off to lead a life where everything happens according to her wishes. In short Arjun was her toy. So his freedom was lost. Any person in his place would be frustrated. But still he never tried to cheat her or break their relation due to her constant suicide threats. He cared for her.

I agree he should have tried to take her to medical professional. But do you think Maya would agree to go? Like suppose he goes to Maya and says "Hey Maya I think you're mentally unstable, so let's go to the doc" and maya would laugh it off and say "What me and crazy? Arjun you're the one acting crazy now". She enjoyed those 3 years with him. She enjoyed controlling him and that is the kind of life she wanted to lead with Arjun. Controlling is her addiction. Even when maya framed ayan, arjun trusted her. Even After knowing about her deeds he stayed by her but he had warned her that he would leave her if she stepped to the evil side again.
If she ever wanted to get out her controlling nature she could have. She had an opportunity at the end of S2 when she admitted herself in an asylum. She could have taken medications and tried to cure herself. She could have given birth to the child and proved to arjun that she is a changed person now. Who knows he may have accepted her. But the truth is she was least interested. When a mentally unstable person themselves don't want to get alright then what can others do?

The one person Who can still be blamed for what maya had turned out to be is jhanvi. She was a weak mother Who failed to protect her kid and be a strength to her. For me arjun did all he can to withstand Maya. Every human has a saturation point and for him it was the death of his mother. That is the point where Maya became irredemable for Arjun.

Whatever past she may have had that does not given her rights to take any person's life. We can sympathize with her for what happened to her in the past., for the monster she turned out be and a wasted life she had to live without even a single person who loved her. But that doesn't mean we can put the blame of her crimes on others or influenced by others. Maya and only maya is responsible for her actions and none others.

Woah didn't intend to make such a long post! So yeah, If you have managed to read till this point then thank you for your time!

Renu
Edited by .Aurora. - 7 years ago
SRKLuvr thumbnail

Originally posted by: Lecter

@SKRLuvr why are you trying to justify yourself again and again? You did your post, some will agree and some will not.

And for those who are not no matter how many times you explain it, nothing will change.

😆 Sorry Lector. You're quite right. I feel for Maya and wish more would understand her real plight. 😆