Doomandgloom thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Poster's Request - Please read the following post with an open mind, and If you know yourself to be even mildly homophobic, then do not proceed with reading, as you will obviously not like the content.
Also, it has an unpopular opinion about one of the main characters, so if you are defensive about them then I apologize in advance, but please keep in mind that the entire thing is a personal opinion.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never thought I'd bother with Indian telly again, but voila, here we are!

I'm gonna admit that I was intrigued by the trailer when it had come out, and was mildly intrigued because it's very rare to see an obsessive homicidal female lead on television, but I had forgotten about it until I just randomly came across a clip on instagram. Maya captured me in those 30 seconds and compelled me to go through the rest of the episodes. I absolutely LOVE how she's portrayed, brilliant acting job, brilliant direction, and brilliant writing. I could go on and on about how amazing Jennifer is in the role, or about how layered Maya's character is, but I assume that those are points that have already been acknowledged. So I'll just skip to the main stuff.

Maya is probably the most intriguing and impressive lead I've ever seen on Indian television, but despite the show's brilliance, it's going to inadvertently send the message that all dominant and powerful women like Maya are "damaged" and that you should be wary of them. If I had it my way, actually, someone like Maya actually needs a person like Saanjh more than Arjun.

Truth be told, I'm not very impressed with Arjun's character to begin with. Especially his constant attempts to try to "show Maya her place"(*cough* sexism *cough*) . Maya is not actually an unreasonable boss. She's strict, sure, but she's not petty. She has clearly set rules in her office, of how she expects her employees to behave and the work ethic she expects from them. They are free to quit if they want to. Also, when she fired her secretary, the gave her a two(or was it 3) month salary in advance. That's way more than most employers do in India.

In the pilot itself, it was Saanjh who noticed her sadness behind her tough exterior, whilst Arjun just made blind assumptions about her.

Saanjh comes from a loving, happy family - the opposite of Maya's. She's a cheerful, understanding, caring, smart and hardworking woman. She's also patient and tries to look at things from the other point of view before coming to a conclusion. I would say that she is the true anti-pole to Maya's character; someone who opposes her and compliments her in all the right ways. It doesn't have to be a necessarily romantic relationship, it could also be a friendship - basically anything that would involve direct interaction between these two women (that has nothing to do with a man, for god's sake). But ofc, that is not gonna happen. Which is why I made this post to mourn the ocean of wasted potential here.

But I'll still probably keep watching because Maya has me hooked.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IdioTinTin thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
I had the same thoughts and watched the show just for Maya's character
I don't think Maya did anything wrong to Arjun but...well, CVs will do anything because a true friendship or sisterhood, Indian writers could never handle that aspect

but I am loving Maya and Jennifer's doing a great job

agree with you on every single word πŸ‘
Doomandgloom thumbnail

Originally posted by: mangoLUV

Loved reading your opinion.πŸ‘ Especially about Arjun's character. Infact I started watching the show only to kill some time and also because the promo looked interesting. I don't watch any tv show except Bigg Boss (used to ages ago) and also I despise Kushal Tandon because how horrible he was in BB.

Keeping my general dislike for him aside I feel his character is seems to try too hard to look cool but seriously falls flat on it's place and he's seems like a total wannabe sexist.
And the 2nd lead, she seemed like the typical TV serial sugary sweet sidey girl, the modern day kumkums/kusums
Now coming to the good part I think Jennifer I have not followed any of her shows except that I remember her in some old ekta kapoor serial (not sure of the name it was one of the K series i think) anyways I think she was amazing the only thing that makes me want to watch the show.
I really don't give a dam about all the 'same-old-yawn-friendship' scenes between Kushal and the other girl because it's same thing recycled for the 1000th time.

Thank you! Arjun's character makes me so frustrated. Actually, honestly, sometimes I feel like his character doesn't even belong in the show. I just gladly skip his parts until I get to the unfortunate ones where they happen to overlap with Maya's. And although chemistry is subjective, I don't really see it with MaJun. Maya really deserves better.
And although Saanjh certainly borders on the Indian tv FL stereotype, I quite like her on her own. And would still stick to the opinion that out her all three of them, I find the potential dynamics of her and Maya to be the most promising, but I know it's not gonna be explored.

Also, on an unrelated note, I cannot bear people calling Maya a "female Christian Grey" Like, no. It is an insult to Maya's character and would still be an insult to her character even if she goes homicidal.

KazBrekker thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Totally agree with you. Even though i have only watched 2 episodes yet i can see why and how you think that and honestly its perfectly understandable. Saanjh's character is indeed a total contrast to Maya's but she doesn't have anything really standing out for herself. Maya's as we have seen has so many layers to explore and Saanjh in front of her falls very bland but then if something like this would happen (in an alternative reality maybe πŸ˜† ) both characters would be bringing out traits in one another which they might have never seen before. Saanjh is a complete clean slate...if the character development is done right she could end up becoming someone just as interesting maybe?
Maya tbh is the whole big attraction to the show...which makes it unique. Arjun just seems like a normal male character you get in indian serials.

And this is an Indian tv show..something like that could never happen for now..every show here is nearly always based with male and female and their relationship. You dont see other relations as friendships even being explored. Even if they do..characters aren't interesting enough and sooner or later the male leads will be introduced and it will become all drama. Indian Tv doesn't tend to follow a strict plot to make the story feel interesting...it's more about trps here sadly
MuguetDScorpion thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Very interesting topic.

You are absolutely right anyone can help you. It doesn't have to be your lover all the time. I think Maya and Saanjh's friendship could be really interesting to watch but I think nothing like this will happen and Maya will feel insecure with Saanjh as Arjun's best friend. πŸ˜•

I think Maya is just like any other boss. She is focused on her work and she wants the same from all her employes. She is a nice person but just a little too strict which is not good for the environment at office. So I think that's why Arjun is trying to act cool. Knowing that such people actually exist. Some people have talent but can't go far because of their egos and narcissism. Some people like to be the boss not have a boss. I am one of them. πŸ˜† So I understand him. But what I am not liking is that Kushal is not up to the mark for the role. πŸ˜• All the scenes look exaggerated.
Doomandgloom thumbnail

Originally posted by: mangoLUV

Also Kushal Tandon overacts like crazy and the show could be taken more seriously or to another level with a more natural male lead. Before his fans attack me let me state this is just my opinion so please do not take offence.

hehe I can't comment about KT cause I haven't seen anything else of his.
So I don't know if it's his acting or just his character that's written in an unflattering manner, but I'm most certainly not liking Arjun.

Doomandgloom thumbnail

Originally posted by: IdioTinTin.

I had the same thoughts and watched the show just for Maya's character

I don't think Maya did anything wrong to Arjun but...well, CVs will do anything because a true friendship or sisterhood, Indian writers could never handle that aspect

but I am loving Maya and Jennifer's doing a great job

agree with you on every single word πŸ‘

Maya has done absolutely nothing wrong to anybody as of yet. She's an imposing, straight-forward, domineering with a cold exterior. But she's a caring daughter and an ethical person. She doesn't approve of bribery and deceit. She's lonely and miserable and has had a nightmarish childhood. But from what we can see so far, she did not let those things turn her into a waste of a human being. She made something of herself, and is still a good human being. Her cold detachment is an exercise in control, as well as a defense mechanism against the world - she has learned to hide her vulnerabilities so that nobody can take advantage of them.
And as for female friendhships and sisterhood - Indian writers take pride in being "feminist" cause they show flawless female leads and almost half the shows revolve around some BFF or sister pairs that get f**ked up over a man. They gladly create 2d caricatures of characters - divide women between pure angels and complete devils, the abused and the abuser, the damsel and the evil witch, and have their entire lives revolve around a certain male. NEVER have I ever seen a f-f relationship on indian television that I can call healthy.

Maya is a refreshing change when it comes to leads - and I will keep on watching for her, if nothing else. She's not sweet, she's not polite, she's outwardly cold, stoic, and most of all - dominant.

Glad to know you agree!😊
MrsAkyurek thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Wonderful post!
Reserved to add more.
Doomandgloom thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mentally-Insane

Totally agree with you. Even though i have only watched 2 episodes yet i can see why and how you think that and honestly its perfectly understandable. Saanjh's character is indeed a total contrast to Maya's but she doesn't have anything really standing out for herself. Maya's as we have seen has so many layers to explore and Saanjh in front of her falls very bland but then if something like this would happen (in an alternative reality maybe πŸ˜† ) both characters would be bringing out traits in one another which they might have never seen before. Saanjh is a complete clean slate...if the character development is done right she could end up becoming someone just as interesting maybe?

Maya tbh is the whole big attraction to the show...which makes it unique. Arjun just seems like a normal male character you get in indian serials.

And this is an Indian tv show..something like that could never happen for now..every show here is nearly always based with male and female and their relationship. You dont see other relations as friendships even being explored. Even if they do..characters aren't interesting enough and sooner or later the male leads will be introduced and it will become all drama. Indian Tv doesn't tend to follow a strict plot to make the story feel interesting...it's more about trps here sadly.

Indian telly is almost always disappointing. If it isn't so in the beginning, it gradually proves to be. One should never really have any expectations while watching an indian tv show. And yes, thank you for illustrating the differences between Maya and Saanjh so nicely. I feel like Saanjh still has a lot of potential to develop as a character, but she kind of makes sense, yknow? Like, I was tired of seeing all these bubbly, cheerful, bouncy little leads who had had a rough life but were still that way. But if you look at Saanjh's family you will immediately understand why she is the way she is.
Saanjh is clearly smart and hard-working, but she is a bit bendy (and girl wastes a hell lot of time babysitting her "BFF", she really shouldn't bother with him) and needs to be more amibitious if she wants to succeed as an advocate. A relation/friendship between Maya and Saanjh could push Saanjh to be more assertive and non-compromising, while it would give Maya a much needed emotional outlet and support.

IdioTinTin thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Doomandgloom

Maya has done absolutely nothing wrong to anybody as of yet. She's an imposing, straight-forward, domineering with a cold exterior. But she's a caring daughter and an ethical person. She doesn't approve of bribery and deceit. She's lonely and miserable and has had a nightmarish childhood. But from what we can see so far, she did not let those things turn her into a waste of a human being. She made something of herself, and is still a good human being. Her cold detachment is an exercise in control, as well as a defense mechanism against the world - she has learned to hide her vulnerabilities so that nobody can take advantage of them.
And as for female friendhships and sisterhood - Indian writers take pride in being "feminist" cause they show flawless female leads and almost half the shows revolve around some BFF or sister pairs that get f**ked up over a man. They gladly create 2d caricatures of characters - divide women between pure angels and complete devils, the abused and the abuser, the damsel and the evil witch, and have their entire lives revolve around a certain male. NEVER have I ever seen a f-f relationship on indian television that I can call healthy.

Maya is a refreshing change when it comes to leads - and I will keep on watching for her, if nothing else. She's not sweet, she's not polite, she's outwardly cold, stoic, and most of all - dominant.

Glad to know you agree!😊

I was so happy to see a powerful, dominant female shown in Indian TV who's selfmade ans not living on her father's money (I suppose as to what I saw) and is not only being prepared go be a good bahu in her in-laws

And that's what caught my intention

Honestly, all other scenes annoyed me. Though I find Saanjh's family so cute and lovely, I was enjoying Maya and will watch the show not to see another love story on Indian TV but to see Maya's character development and the unlyering of her character which I really hope CVs handle well because I know once a show focuses on trps, it's never getting a good plot or not handling the plot well and the writing becomes all boring and stupid

I want CVs to handle Maya's past with care and unfold it in a good manner and I really really hope they won't drag everything for trps and the eternity of the show
I won't expect much but I hope they won't neglect Maya's layered character and change it drastically to a negative or highly positive one because they will focus too much on their love story and love triangle which I am not at all interested inπŸ₯±

And am very well aware about the enemity of women in Indian TV, that's one of the reasons I don't watch Indian shows

IPK and Beyhadh are exceptions

Btw, am also a huge Merlin fan πŸ€— the memories and tears are back again seeing your dp 😭
Edited by IdioTinTin. - 8 years ago