Beyhadh: The First Few Pages (Episode Analysis)

...Maham... thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 years ago

Hello people,

My first post here.. Not that that should be a surprise considering the first episode aired today but just covering the formalities 😆 So coming right down to it - Woof! What an episode! For a pilot - Fantastic stuff. 👏 The characters were etched out nicely and I loved the pace of the episode.

It begins with Kushal aka Arjun literally flying in his entry sequence. 😆 This is clearly a man who likes to do things his way. He dreams big unlike his simpleton bestfriend who believes that true happiness lies in the little things. It begs to question ofcourse - Is Arjun merely a talker or a doer? There is clear ambition in his eyes and the manner with which he mocks at the power of prayer and chooses to believe in hardwork instead tells you that he is probably the latter. However this also directly coincides with the fact that he slept through several alarms and 20 phonecalls so that he almost misses his job interview. I followed Kushal's first show (Big Virat fan haha!) and for me, he did a pretty decent job here. The character has lots of flair but he also seems intelligent and Kushal got that right. Oh and you looked very handsome Kushal. That moment in the car when his hair was all wet.. Uff! (BTW when Arjun says - Main Zindagi lambi nai, badi jeena chahta hu.. That was such a Virat moment! 😆 My excuses to any clueless readers. It's a pretty iconic line by the character from EHMMBH) The more interesting aspect to his character ofcourse is the hidden vulnerability he carries. Beneath the carefree exterior, Arjun clearly nurses a desperate need to prove himself. Curious to learn more about his problems at home especially about his relationship with his Mother. As soon as she addresses him you see his demeanor change. As opposed to the relaxed, the-world-is-my-stage Arjun you see a tense, defensive, tight-lipped man instead. I assumed his brother to be a studious nerd in comparison but surprise surprise. He seems the complete opposite. Or maybe he is one those brilliant kids who don't have to slog like the rest of us and still end up acing the exam. 😆 Coming back to Arjun, although he says that he got scolded b/c of him you can see that he clearly loves his little brother. Interesting how he addresses their Mother as Teri Maa. And he seems to lie for his brother as well... so maybe his Mother has always misunderstood him to be something he isn't? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

So far, Saanjh seems to be the most sorted and straightforward character in the show. For a moment when her Mother addresses her sternly, I wondered if she too has the same issues as Arjun does with respect to his family but that doesn't seem the case. Her Mom and Dad seem to be easy-going and big hearted people and between her parents and her brother, it's a very closely knit family they have.

Maya, interesting again. This is the first time I'm watching a show of Jennifer Winget. I know her to be a good actress though (Some talents are just obvious like that) and she did a pretty neat job here. Maya is a successful, powerful woman with raging family issues. You could sense in the first scene with her Mother that she detests the idea of something, anything having so much power over her. This is proven in the very next scene. I think somewhere Maya fears becoming exactly like her Mother. A weak, pitiful woman who is hopelessly waiting for a man who never plans to return. Someone who has forgotten that there is a life outside of love and men. If there is a threat out there that has the potential to render her powerless then Maya will make sure to destroy it. I don't think Maya is mentally ill.. Atleast not at such an early stage of the story. Her issues might develop into something bigger with time though. I hope they write her as strictly grey instead of all black. I want to be able to understand and connect to her instead of writing her off as the plain old vamp. Hopefully the makers will do her justice.

There was an interesting amount of friction between Maya and Arjun in the final scene. She obviously intrigued him and you could see the attraction he felt towards her. Arjun clearly likes a powerful woman and doesn't feel threatened by the idea of the same. That moment where Maya's dupatta flies away and lands over Arjun - Filmy but still, good bit of symbolism there. You could see how her presence has the potential to veer his life completely off course so much so that it can also kill him. Saanjh pretty much saves him and I'm wondering if that is how things will unfold in real too. They have a beautiful friendship - Arjun and Saanjh. It's an integral part of their lives and as Arjun openly declares - Saanjh is the most important person in his life and vice versa. I think it's because she is perhaps the only one who loves him unconditionally, who knows him inside and out but still believes in him and has stuck by him through thick and thin. There is beauty in stability and that is what Arjun and Saaajh are all about. That's probably why she is afraid to tell him how she really feels. This friendship is precious. To jeopardize it is a risk that Saanjh refuses to take.

Overall a very riveting episode. I love when characters have layers to them as opposed to them being cardboard cutouts which is the general norm so I'm pretty happy with how our protagonists are shaping up. My only real, albeit small, problem with the show is that at some points the storytelling and symbolism is a little too much of the in-your-face kind. I like it when some things are left for the viewers to interpret on their own. Less is more you know? Anyway, precap looks interesting. You don't think Maya suddenly senses her Father behind her do you?

Thoughts/feedback is always welcome. 😊

Maham.

p.s: Sorry if I rambled too much or didn't make sense at some point. I'm not exactly feeling well but was still compelled to write something after watching the episode. 😳

Edited by ...Maham... - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BaAZiGar0 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Most Comments (February 2022) 1 Thumbnail + 9
are you officially doing the WUs ?
...Maham... thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: BaAZiGar0

are you officially doing the WUs ?

Hahaha no this is just an analysis of the episode from my end. I might not write regularly, only when I'm inspired :)
Edited by ...Maham... - 8 years ago
BaAZiGar0 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Most Comments (February 2022) 1 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: ...Maham...

Hahaha no this is just an analysis of the episode from my end. I might not write regularly, only when I'm inspired :)

oo okay ill have to come back to see your thoughts... but i have to watch the episode first!! 😛
Fantasia. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Hey Maham! We met once before in KRPKAB forum .. 😃 Sadly that was the last time i got inspired by that show but here we meet again! 😃

So even i LOVED the first episode, contary to expectations it was fast paced and despite of some cliches of a rich phsyco woman and an ambitous boy with an innocent friend the episode managed to hold my attention.

Firstly this is the first time i am seeing Kushal and Jennifer and i am loving them so far. Kushal has a decent screen presence and possess the young energy needed for this role whereas Jennefir managed topunch just the right amount of attitude , poise and craziness behind Maya. I wasnt really impressed by Saanjh, the actress has zero screen presence and her over chirpiness was a let down.

Coming to characters,without delaying they were all introduced .. what i loved was that first they were introduced individually and then they were placed in their specific backgrounds. That did the trick for me, i could relate to them as a person and then got to know abt thier backdrops.

So saanjh has a normal family while Arjun and Maya have problems. I feel its arjun's stepmom and that younger bro is his step brother.

The parking scene was well done and the precap was intresting! So Maya is shivering with fear whereas on the other hand Arjun thinks no one can scare his boss! I love such cut out scenes ..

Looking forward and a lovely writeup as always Maham.
The.Targaryen thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Maham
The first episode set the stage very well. Now it's time to keep the pace or there is no hope.

I loved Jennifer's character Maya and the whole story is based on her and her love, so that's a plus point. What i personally feel is that the main character firstly should have a strong background and then comes the supporting cast. So far I love Maya.😳

Kushal's character Arjun is a typical carefree guy with big dreams. Hope they add something to it. So far only the 'dream talk' between Saanjh and Arjun on the bridge has caught my attention.

Aneri's character Saanjh is a bubbly girl who is just innocent and loves her family and friend. A very good friend of Arjun and from what it looks like will have a major crush on him super soon. Or maybe has?😕

If the cast is an absolute gem and the story ❤️ but no TRPs I will still watch it(Read BBKD😭)

All three of them have great potential. I have seen their previous work. So hoping this to be a fun ride.😆
Edited by Impetuous. - 8 years ago
manancraze thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I haven't seen the episodes but love ur analysis... Will watch the episode soon.
keerthu27 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Good to see sooo many kushal fans here nd virat fans too..how much i missed that guy...Ehmmbh nostalgic days..nd haan back to the epi..a grt start...with equal screenspace..nd characterisation says it all..
Behyadh will be waiting for the story to unfold
star.angel thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Hey all
Maham a really good job 👏
Super analysis 👏
I hvn't seen any serial like this 😳
It is going to b awesome
Jenni was super duper 👏👏👏 maya's character is truely amaizing .
Arjun and saanjh's frndship is lovely n cute 😳😳
Saanjh is madly in love with arjun and it is normal whn u loove sm1 u really fear to loose that person n i thinknsame is the case with saanjh .
Arjun seems to b a happy person bt hr has problms too..
Arjun nd Mya's equation wz good
I really loved it 😳😳
By watching frsr epi i cant predict wts going to happn 😆😆
N m loving this
Nd as jennfer said that plot is already decided nd is not going to change so lets see wt happrns nxt
N m really looking firward to that
Nd as it is a finite series m so happy bcz we'll get to see dmthng good nd they won't make it a halwa 😳😳
Anmol333 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Loved first episode and waiting eagerly for further episodes 😊
Very nicely maham you have written the episode 👍🏼