After Shekhar BASHING, a Shekhar ANALYSIS!

Neela10 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Shekhar ' his three major role changes in AJ

After so much Shekhar bashing, I think it is about time I give the guy (Abhishek Rawat) some credit for his portrayal of the character Shekhar.😊

Personally, out of all the characters in Agle Janam, I think it is Shekhar/Rawat who should walk away with a smile on his face (with the show ending soon).
πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Why? Because it was only Shekhar's character that underwent major changes.

In the over 300 or so episodes in Agle Janam, actor Abhishek Rawat has played three major roles:

Shekhar: A depressed young man with suicidal tendenciesπŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”

In the beginning, when he is introduced to viewers for the first time, he was a sad and depressed young man with suicidal tendencies (He had tried to kill himself one day). He felt suffocated by the tight grip his father, Loha Singh, had on his life. The woman he thought he loved did not care for him. His bright hopes for the future turns to ashes as his father's grip on him tightens daily. There was hopelessness in him that had seemed endless.

(This was best seen through Sumitra's eyes when she happens to glance in his room one day, and there is her young son Shekhar tearing pages out of his favorite poetry book, making paper planes out of them and throwing them in the air, showing in a way how aimless his life was.) As he said to her one day, he is only existing, the body is a shell, his soul is dead. A kind-hearted young man with strong values, even his father's constant threats of death hanging over his head failed to convince him to do such a shameful deed as impregnating slave girl Laali to bear an heir to the Loha House. 😲😲😲

Shekhar: A confident young manπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

A major change comes in him when he falls in love with Laali. Slowly he changes from a loser (as Ranvijay was wont to call him) to a winner. He gains confidence in himself, and he starts making strong decisions that even astounds his quick-fisted father who had tended to see him as a small kid with no voice. But suddenly, Shekhar not only challenges his father, but takes on the world for his new found love ' Laali. In the many episodes since he fell in love, Shekhar made several major moves overriding his father's, mother's and his first wife's wishes, thus endearing himself to his viewers.

Shekhar's strong points were his decisive moves regarding Laali:

(a) When he realized that he loved Laali, he walks past Sidheshwari in front of an entire village to go to her, where he proclaimed his love for her;

(b) when Sidheshwari refused to have Laali in her room, Shekhar moved out of his and Sidheshwari's room and in with Laali in the kothri, where he shuts the door on the Loha house;

(c) To save her life, Shekhar ran away with Laali to Nepal

(d) Shekhar's most decisive move was when he married Laali

(e) Despite the horrific realization that brother Ranvijay had probably slept with his wife on his wedding night, Shekhar forgave Laali and accepts her back in his life.

(f) And despite still being unclear as to who had killed his beloved sister Ratna, (Laali being the main suspect) once again Shekhar accepts Laali

It is thru Shekhar's eyes we saw the many injustices being committed on Laali by the upper caste on that of the lower caste. Shekhar was a rich kid, unaware like so many of us, the discrimination towards the poor and the downtrodden. The social norms that barred Laali from temples and other places shocked him and made him realize the oppression the underprivileged have to face on a daily basis. Through him, we saw our own apathy and indifference to the exploitation of the poor.

Shekhar: Mentally unstableπŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

This was probably actor Abhishek Rawat's most challenging role. Many fans did not like this role of his. But as an actor, Rawat would have enjoyed it because it gave him the opportunity to play a different kind of role ' and all in one series. (Who has this kind of opportunity?) His performance as a mentally unstable person was credible.

Unfortunately, his role as a mentally challenged man was steadily reduced, so much so that he never got the opportunity to exploit it properly. It became tedious to watch him episode after episode in such a role with hardly any dialog, very little camera time, and frankly, almost nothing to do (most episodes saw him saying only two sentences at the most, and in others he did not appear at all). It was apparent to all viewers across the many nations watching AJ, that the CV's had murdered Shekhar's character. (It was also one of the many reasons that viewership or ratings took a dive as well.) 😑😑😑

With his character so downgraded and degraded, it would have been better if he had been deleted from the show. It was clear to viewers that the CVs did not know how to balance the roles of everyone, particularly when every character had powerful roles to play. 😑😑

In the end, the story simply became a ding-dong or a continuous fight between Loha and Laali. The show turned boring, because viewers felt that there were so many social issues that the serial could have tackled but instead all we saw was Loha and Laali going for each other with hammer and tongs. It was poor judgment on the part of the creatives' that they paid for, with ratings sliding to its lowest level ever. 😑😑

Loha's character was the only other one that was unique, complex and intriguing. He turned good for a while and viewers hated it. He became mean and evil again. But the show's ratings continued to slide.

Other actors' roles did not change much, including that of Laali's. She remained a saint throughout, a woman who could never do any wrong!

The CVs need to work harder at shaping material, and at making their characters emerge as rounded believable people.

We hope that all the actors on AJ get as powerful roles in their future endeavorsπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ.

Edited by Neela10 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

princessRock776 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
very nice points neela I loved the character of RajShekhar he was a cute strong, caring sexy loving angry young man which we all loved will miss him very much after the series end I hope he gets more challenging roles in the future waiting to see how he will react when he finds out Jamuni is pregnant and also loha's reaction
purple4 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

I dont think any of the characters have been completely negative or positive in the show. They have all done something wrong. All of the characters were grey (apart from laali and a few) which is good. I quite enjoyed it and all of them performed well. Abhishek performed well in the three roles.

SilverBell thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
His role in AJ was great. and I will miss him very much.
telenovelle thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
The actor who played Shekhar did a nice job of playing the role. He started of very strong and as the show went on the mental illness story went on and on. At this point he went downhill. We got tired of seeing him as a mental patient and behaving as a child than a man of the family. This story went on TOO long!!!!😭😭😭😭

Throughout the show Shekhar's love for Laali was also proven and shown through his actions to protect and love her. He was a very dedicated husband most of the time...95 percent...the other 10 percent he was a jerk to Laali because of the way he treated her in certain situations.

Overall I would give the Shekhar character a 9 out 10 rating for his role and acting.....comments
Neela10 thumbnail

Originally posted by: telenovelle

The actor who played Shekhar did a nice job of playing the role. He started of very strong and as the show went on the mental illness story went on and on. At this point he went downhill. We got tired of seeing him as a mental patient and behaving as a child than a man of the family. This story went on TOO long!!!!😭

Throughout the show Shekhar's love for Laali was also proven and shown through his actions to protect and love her. He was a very dedicated husband most of the time...95 percent...the other 10 percent he was a jerk to Laali because of the way he treated her in certain situations.

Overall I would give the Shekhar character a 9 out 10 rating for his role and acting.....comments

Shekhar behaving as a child more than a man was one of the side effects of his mental illness. Possibly, his mental illness produced such a behavior in him, wherein he became more childlike. Therefore, he cannot be blamed for that.

But the point is not that. The fact that his powerful role was reduced to almost nothing for the duration of his mental illness was annoying, to say the least. It seems the CVs did not know what to do with his character after inscribing that he become mentally unstable.

I would much rather have seen him in a child like condition with more camera time and dialog then to have seen him pushed to the sidelines wherein he became a spectator rather than an action man and a hero.

The CVs messed up his character, including that of RVs, and Gangiya, who all started appearing sporadically in the episodes. Almost 80 per cent of camera time and dialog were given to Loha and Laal
i. She, with the big halo around her headπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
😑
-SweetGirl- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘Neela , This yr Post on babuaji..Well desribed each & every words..I'll be reading once again...Well I loved him ..And he loved Laali like anything...Hatts of the Man....He was angel of Laali's life...It was So nicely came out how Initially Laali made him strong & by the Time He become strength of her life & show.....One of the MOST strong Male Character on Indian Soaps - Which are more focus on Lead girls only....Where heros hardly hv to do anything...But Shekhar had the real Strong character....Loved that angry young man Look everytime for evils & the cutest -Respectful Love & smile for Laali..... Well Abhishek Portrayed it Superb ...no matter how Well written character is ..Its up to actor to bring it on Screen..If Actor fails It fails So as writers....But Every Actor on AJ portrated thier Part more than Perfectly even if Some time Script was not that much effiecient all time....For Abhishek ...Wish to see him again & again...Hes truly The Most Talented Actor Indian Television hv...⭐️About Laali being saint..all most all daily soap leads are portrayed alike..But this Girl truly made me believe that Shes Good..I do believe her Faith & Goodness..shes not saint for me..But Shes kind soul...Ratan Played it Best..So as Abhishek The character of Shekhar....Both will be ever in my heart ..AS The truely Cutest lovely couple...
Edited by -SweetGirl- - 13 years ago
Neela10 thumbnail

The difference between Shekhar and Laali was that Shekhar was a human being with all its flaws, while Laali was a saint with no flaws.

If I were the Pope I would canonize her. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ€£
telenovelle thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Neela10

The difference between Shekhar and Laali was that Shekhar was a human being with all its flaws, while Laali was a saint with no flaws.

If I were the Pope I would canonize her. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ€£

I agree Laali was too much of another "Mother Theresa" ...she did nothing wrong....not really human. She was always right and always won no matter what. Loha could never bring Saint Laali down!!! It would be interesting if the last show was on the pope canoinize her saint status.....πŸ˜†
Edited by telenovelle - 13 years ago
Neela10 thumbnail

I agree Laali was too much of another "Mother Theresa" ...she did nothing wrong....not really human. She was always right and always won no matter what. Loha could never bring Saint Laali down!!! It would be interesting if the last show was on the pope canoinize her saint status.....πŸ˜†

πŸ˜‰Unfortunately, canonization only happens after a person's death .... so no canonization yet for Laali
.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜ƒ