Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blokes thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
actually, angel- krishna can get away by wearing raw silk to work because it has a roughness, "homespun" look to it and it does not have the shine and sheen of regular silk- the kind we see in the market. Of course, more than not looking appropriate, she will not be able to afford it- cool cottons- starched and ironed is what I would recommend for her until the time she "dresses" up for Independence day or something when she will get an opportunity to hoist the flag!
0-SD-0 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: blokes

nope- banana fiber is called "naar pattu" in Tamil- literally means "fiber silk"- it is very thin and the saris drip dry very easily. If ever you get to Chennai, go to a good silk saree store and ask for Naar pattu- u will find it.

Raw silk on the other hand is silk in the "raw" ie it has not yet been spun into yarn- for the most part, in Karnataka it is usual to twist 2 strands to make yarn for the saris there whereas the Kanchipuram saris (that tend to be heavier) are made of 3 strand twists! The thinner Tussars are made with just one! Raw silk is the basic protein strand that is removed from the cocoons. Tussars also happen to be ahimsa silks because traditionally they allowed the pupas to "hatch" into moths and then the ripped open cocoons were carefully carded and sorted into thread. That is why you will find raw silk and tussar have "texture". The satin finish for the south indian varieties are more cruel to the moths as they are boiled in hot water in the cocoons and then the threads are unravelled neatly in one strand (less work) and it is smoother and finer, the texture (all this from trade fairs!)

WOW!!! you know a lot!!! Are you by any chance into textile designing or anything associated with textiles??

Okay, first let me thank you for the information.

Then I wanted to tell you that, I come from a Telangana Padmashali family. My grandparents were owning looms. So my parents know about the yarn etc. And the things that u explained single strand, twisted strand, my dad used to explain to me. All because my mom for some time developed a clientele through her friends, for freshly woven stock of handloom silks. That was in Delhi. So she used to go Nalgonda district for Pochampallies and Patolas sarees, right to weavers houses. Then as demand grew from her clientele, she was going to Coimbatore, Chennai, Dharmavaram, Narayanpeta, Gadwal, Venkatagiri and Bangalore. So I know about these sarees...not the technical part 😆. Even as my father used to explain, I couldn't much pay attention. And also being a resident of Delhi Gole Market Area, we were close to Connaught Place and that entire road of State Emporiums. So I used to go and check our artefacts and textiles of other states. It was genetic info that I easily used to understand about the textiles and remember them.
Edited by shridevigaddam - 12 years ago
blokes thumbnail
wow- shridevi- first my pranams to your parents and your grandparents who kept the looms alive for another generation! The greatness of India lay (hope still does) in its people and their ability to make exquisite products from around the country- not make one Reliance guy rich but have weavers who interact with their products intimately and share their craft and their art with choosy customers (according to ancient Tamil literature (Sangam period), Indian fabrics were revered and could demand a king's ransom for their fine weaves). Sadly, for a while since the advent of foreign invasion our weavers were so poor they could barely feed their families with their art.

With the advent of powerlooms many of the earlier knowledge base is being corroded away and lost for ever. And no, I am no textile designer or anything. It is just a passion of mine- natural fiber and sustainable agriculture. All the polyesters and nylons are dependent on crude oil for their production and I have always bothered to learn about materials and where they came from. Today, a greater problem is BT cotton and no one has done any research on the effect of skin exposed to bt cotton- especially baby skin swaddled in cotton. My interests are primarily environment motivated!
0-SD-0 thumbnail
Another WOW!!!! from me.

Blokes,

It is just a passion of mine- natural fiber and sustainable agriculture. All the polyesters and nylons are dependent on crude oil for their production and I have always bothered to learn about materials and where they came from. Today, a greater problem is BT cotton and no one has done any research on the effect of skin exposed to bt cotton- especially baby skin swaddled in cotton. My interests are primarily environment motivated!

I love you for this. The passion...

I like that sustainable agriculture and I am planning something of the sort with my retirement from corporate world. At this time there are all half-baked ideas and that too without any knowledge, so was thinking should I go and enroll myself for those studies. And my motivation is not environment, but it is more stemmed from seeing the scavenging mentality and futility of Investment Banking. I have worked now for 12 years attached to stock markets, seeing through scams, trade down-cycles, US lead banking crisis all over the world, and now looking at the NYC consumption prone life-style, the dollar stores, the ever-green Sales on all leading dept stores, closure of stores, and increasingly consuming-oriented life styles even back in India, I am so scared and suffocated with people losing jobs and consequent unsettling unhappiness, that I want to feel the roots, want to be on the producing side and that too not just for profit, but which sustains me and people around me without being dependent on the capitalists generated employment or the corrupt Govt that fails to protect its people. Its like dreaming an ecological balance with whatever assets I have and may have in future.

AngeloScuro thumbnail

Edited by AngelDark - 12 years ago
blokes thumbnail
awesome pics, angeldark- thanx 4 posting them! The 1st orange sari appears to be a Kantha print, 2nd one, a lovely Bengal cotton and the third, the green, a south indian classic. Nice...
0-SD-0 thumbnail

Originally posted by: blokes

awesome pics, angeldark- thanx 4 posting them! The 1st orange sari appears to be a Kantha print, 2nd one, a lovely Bengal cotton and the third, the green, a south indian classic. Nice...

first and the third ones are poly-silks...