Bhagalpur Silk Sari: Graduation gift to Krishna

blokes thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Congratulations! And what a struggle it was, but of the never-give-up-courage kind!

Wishing our very own Afsar Bitiya and all the other hopefuls who dream and work hard to become part of the executive branch of our democracy in spite of the corruption and the ugly strategies like those shown by Pinky and her father.

One small point- given that the graduates were all from the Bihar State Civil Services, the least they could have done was have the lady officers wear Madhubani saris instead of traditional Kerala kasavu saris!

Edited by blokes - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blokes thumbnail
the sari is our gift to Afsar bitiya!

0-SD-0 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I so agree with you Blokes. 😆 😆

Wish u were subject was different and I could see the article that day itself. Bhagalpur is so famous for its Tusser Silks and it has been one of the key Silk trading center since ancient times.

Wish they showed her in Tusser with Madhubani print or without it, any tusser saree, or even Balucheri or kantha of Bengal, so much closer to Bihar than Kerala. That would have been so nice...

Edited by shridevigaddam - 12 years ago
0-SD-0 thumbnail
Btw the promo (19th March - week ahead promo) has her wearing Bengali Cotton.

Oh! I am going to love the show for all sarees that Mitali is going to get to wear.

I love the traditional ones, both cottons and silks for regular wear and not the typical Saj-dhajke marriage occasion types craft-work sarees.
blokes thumbnail
hey- thanks for that extra info about Bhagalpur being part of the original silk trade! I did not know that! See, we learn everyday. Yes, I truly believe in local industry being supported because ultimately however globally we get linked, irrespective of trade imbalances and transport issues, we will still be assured of a local strong economy. Sadly, that is where many of us are struggling around the globe. when we speak of block development, it needs to be economic as well as social. I hope that the visual/ art director does take into account such aspects of the show.

Yeah, cant wait to see her in lovely Bengal cottons as much as the Bihari ones. Also, as a footnote- I was at a trade show several years ago where banana fiber from Bihar was being bought by South Indian weavers as the banana fiber is considered an alternative for silk. In yesteryears, widows wore saris made of banana fiber but now beautifully designed saris are available for every woman. it drapes like silk and easily washed and drip dried.
blokes thumbnail

Originally posted by: shridevigaddam

I so agree with you Blokes. 😆 😆

Wish u were subject was different and I could see the article that day itself. Bhagalpur is so famous for its Tusser Silks and it has been one of the key Silk trading center since ancient times.

Wish they showed her in Tusser with Madhubani print or without it, any tusser saree, or even Balucheri or kantha of Bengal, so much closer to Bihar than Kerala. That would have been so nice...

I am editing the topic to say: Bhagalpur silk- gift to our Graduate!
AngeloScuro thumbnail
Wow hope we see Krishna wearing one of those saari's you guys are talking about one of these days.
Edited by AngelDark - 12 years ago
0-SD-0 thumbnail
thank you Blokes - for improving the subject 😊 and additional info in banana fiber.
Is it by anyway called Raw Silk ? I have a Tusser, bought in Delhi and when I buying a second one in Bangalore, the shopkeeper termed it was Raw Silk. The raw silk has a more rough look look than the tusser one which is far softer than Raw. But all in all, I like the glazy look of starched finesse on the barky crusty finish. I like them.

Angel - wearing silk for office in the very beginning may not be possible. It will be too dressed up and also now spring is on. Silk ka time gaya 😆

But..But.. we can watch Indira Krishnan (Ganga Devi) wearing the Tusser sarees. She wears them. She has few in the collection, the ones I remember are the beige and the green one 😉
-SilverDragon- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
What a great gift for our Afar Bitiya. 😊
blokes thumbnail

Originally posted by: shridevigaddam

thank you Blokes - for improving the subject 😊 and additional info in banana fiber.

Is it by anyway called Raw Silk ? I have a Tusser, bought in Delhi and when I buying a second one in Bangalore, the shopkeeper termed it was Raw Silk. The raw silk has a more rough look look than the tusser one which is far softer than Raw. But all in all, I like the glazy look of starched finesse on the barky crusty finish. I like them.

Angel - wearing silk for office in the very beginning may not be possible. It will be too dressed up and also now spring is on. Silk ka time gaya 😆

But..But.. we can watch Indira Krishnan (Ganga Devi) wearing the Tusser sarees. She wears them. She has few in the collection, the ones I remember are the beige and the green one 😉

nope- banana fiber is called "naar pattu" in Tamil- literally means "fiber silk"- it is very thin and the saris drip dry very easily. If ever you get to Chennai, go to a good silk saree store and ask for Naar pattu- u will find it.

Raw silk on the other hand is silk in the "raw" ie it has not yet been spun into yarn- for the most part, in Karnataka it is usual to twist 2 strands to make yarn for the saris there whereas the Kanchipuram saris (that tend to be heavier) are made of 3 strand twists! The thinner Tussars are made with just one! Raw silk is the basic protein strand that is removed from the cocoons. Tussars also happen to be ahimsa silks because traditionally they allowed the pupas to "hatch" into moths and then the ripped open cocoons were carefully carded and sorted into thread. That is why you will find raw silk and tussar have "texture". The satin finish for the south indian varieties are more cruel to the moths as they are boiled in hot water in the cocoons and then the threads are unravelled neatly in one strand (less work) and it is smoother and finer, the texture (all this from trade fairs!)