Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Laila2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago

Originally posted by: shridevigaddam

OMG!!!! An INCESTUOUS Relationship ? A Brother marrying a sister ? NOoo!!!!!
Horrific!

ROFL, my dear, they are cousins with a different set of parents each.
0-SD-0 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Laila2009

How can a woman marry her brother-in-law after she has slept with the man's brother and had his kid? We see this a lot in shows - we don't see anything odd when a man marries his sister-in-law especially after she has loved one brother. Marrying cousins is actually acceptable among Christian, Jewish and Muslim cultures. Look at the royal family; cousin marriages were acceptable, albeit on necessarily healthy or illegal. Just ideas to add more masala.

In-laws are still in laws. They do not share same blood.

And that culture of elder woman marrying brother-in-law, is an exploitative practice to preserve the family. Its an extension of the Niyoga practice. How revolting it can be if forced on women, can be watched in this movie "Ek Chadar Maili Si".

So important thing when marrying under Hindu marriages
1) They should not share same blood from same parents, within same HUF, within directly related extended families.
2) In some cases of marrying cousins, then make sure that it is not Brother and sister relationship.
3)If cousins fall into the in-law category like a sister's son marrying her brother's daughter like in the case of south indians, it is okay as a match. And sociologically, such cousin relationship is gaurded by parents by not allowing the children to get close in childhood so that their minds are not muddled between, brother-sister feelings into potential opposite sex love interests. A fair amount of knowledge of implications is taught to childeren early on.

People from other parts of India can shed light on the twisted but self-preserving practices that they showed in Ek Chaadar Maile si or the Gujrati -Kutchhi story of Gulaal shown on Star Plus. Its a very ancient practice and I don't think it is entertained nowadays.
0-SD-0 thumbnail

ROFL, my dear, they are cousins with a different set of parents each.

My dear, I am a Hindu. And it is offensive religiously to say that I think of my brother (my father's brother's son) as my husband. And if I am to think of him as a husband, why was I told to call him as a brother.
Laila2009 thumbnail

In-laws are still in laws. They do not share same blood.
So it is OK for one person to sleep with both brothers as long as they do not share the same blood? Interesting. That's why we see in some parts of Punjab brother married at the same time to the same woman.
And that culture of elder woman marrying brother-in-law, is an exploitative practice to preserve the family. Its an extension of the Niyoga practice. How revolting it can be if forced on women, can be watched in this movie "Ek Chadar Maili Si".
Well aware of this practice - it's on another Zeetv show right now. But I won't mention the name since we're not allowed to bring up names of other shows in our posts.

So important thing when marrying under Hindu marriages
1) They should not share same blood from same parents, within same HUF, within directly related extended families.
2) In some cases of marrying cousins, then make sure that it is not Brother and sister relationship. (Ravi and Pinky are not brother and sister; first cousins yes, but not brother and sister)
3)If cousins fall into the in-law category like a sister's son marrying her brother's daughter like in the case of south indians, it is okay as a match (they are still cousins like Ravi and Pinky and share the same blood, so how is that different with Ravi and Pinky?). And sociologically, such cousin relationship is gaurded by parents by not allowing the children to get close in childhood so that their minds are not muddled between, brother-sister feelings into potential opposite sex love interests. A fair amount of knowledge of implications is taught to childeren early on.
Just to clarify, I don't advocate cousins getting married, but I thought it would be a bit of a good laugh and good drama for this show. After all, Ravi and Pinky are single and we don't have anyone in the story line. Then I thought, how about Sargum dying and Pinky ending up with Babloo!Confused

People from other parts of India can shed light on the twisted but self-preserving practices that they showed in Ek Chaadar Maile si or the Gujrati -Kutchhi story of Gulaal shown on Star Pluus. Its a very ancient practice and I don't think it is entertained nowadays.
You will be stunned how much viewers are entertained by such practices today.

Laila2009 thumbnail

My dear, I am a Hindu. And it is offensive religiously to say that I think of my brother (my father's brother's son) as my husband. And if I am to think of him as a husband, why was I told to call him as a brother.

Culturally you are asked to view him this way, but in other cutural groups it is not seen as the same. There are some parts of the world where this is practiced.
0-SD-0 thumbnail
[QUOTE=Laila2009

You will be stunned how much viewers are entertained by such practices today.

That itself shows how much the viewers are disconnected to the story content and just want to ogle at the leads they like. Its all in the name of catering to what fans want from the celebrity leads with no interest to drama, plot, screen play, supporting cast.

Equating that craziness of few thousand fans as a practice followed by Indian milieu, a country of more than 30 states, more than 30 recognized languages, such a big population is Gross Irregularly conceived opinion.

I believe Gulaal was prematurely taken off air...
0-SD-0 thumbnail

Culturally you are asked to view him this way, but in other cutural groups it is not seen as the same. There are some parts of the world where this is practiced.

And you are forget here that story is based in Indian hinterland with Hindu characters and that is where the debate started. I don't have to say anything against religions I don't know about, or cutural groups or practices I do not know about.

toshibelekar thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
horrible, they are close cousins, brother and sister. How can they marry.

such a stupid track. who will watch this show then.😡
Laila2009 thumbnail

Originally posted by: toshibelekar

horrible, they are close cousins, brother and sister. How can they marry.

such a stupid track. who will watch this show then.😡

😆 People watch even worse things on this idiot box. Plus they are technically not brother and sister. 😛
Samanalyse thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Interesting plot, though I don't approve of Pintoo annulling the marriage as he was given a fair chance to walk away and chose not to in his right mind. Whatever the reasons may have been, this was a decision that he made and he should stand by it. I am not sure Krishna would want anything to do with him if he did that, nor would I want her to. If Pinky, on the other hand chose to annul the marriage, leaving Pintoo free, that is something I could like. 😊

As for Ravi and Pinky, I am sorry to say, but they simply would not be allowed to get married. In Hinduism, each person has a gothra, or a direct male lineage which traces back to sages in the ancient times. And it is pretty strictly forbidden to marry a person from the same gothra as it is inauspicious and because everyone from that gothra is considered a brother or sister. Ravi and Pinky, being from the same male lineage would automatically be from the same gothra and so would not be allowed to get married.

In the case of cousins getting married, or uncles marrying their nieces, it always involves a brother-sister relationship to begin with, where the sister's gothra changes to that of her husband's family when she gets married. Thus her brother or her brother's child would be of a different gothra and so appropriate to marry her child.

I am not condoning these practices, because I think cousins getting married is gross in any permutation or combination, but just explaining how it works.