Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

WhiteNights thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
@Sam, from the lines of your last para: Anyway, I think it is interesting how they are not showing the issue of caste but rather those of economic status and occupation. I am guessing it is a conscious decision by the writers and if so I appreciate the fresh and realistic approach there.
I am glad they did not take caste-divide as the main subject and instead went ahead with what we have now because honestly the plots based on caste-divide issue have become a bit too repetitive and stale in showbiz although this evil too remains to be cured in real life.
Another good thing about AB is, here the women are not suppressed or docile or tormented like how they love to portray in saas-bahu kind of shows but very much the Woman of Today! They are well-informed, confident and progressive even though the story is based in a small-town.
Samanalyse thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
@Neetz: I totally agree. Nobody is saying that caste is not an issue. It is just not the one that they are dealing with on this show and frankly, I find that much more realistic. By making them all of the same caste, they have sort of levelled this issue to concentrate on the issues of economic disparity and disparity domestic context. On the one hand we have Ganga who is rich but is nothing more than a glorified maid who trembles at the sight of her husband and on the other we have Saraswati who single-handedly manages the economy of the entire household, though she is poor.

And I agree. I love the way they have shown the women, Saraswati especially. Her lack of education comes out only in certain instances when she goes overboard with the melodrama (and threatens to kill herself, again) or when she become superstitious. BUT for the most part she is a strong, intelligent and hardworking woman of today who does the best she can with the resources she has.

I loved the answer in Krishna's first interview (the first two episodes) where she says that her mother manages the whole household on Rs. 8000. India might be home to some of the richest people in the world but honestly speaking "Saraswati Raj' is what all the fancy economists should be studying!
WhiteNights thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Wow Sam, you always leave me speechless with your analysis.😳
How correct you are about Saraswati and her infinite attributes. Apart from minor negative points that her character has (which are anyway no big deal considering her life has never been a bed of roses), she is indeed a woman to Idolize!
Also another thing i wanted to point out that though we have treadled this path earlier, the discrimination against Olive toned skin is also as much of an evil. In a country obsessed with fair-skin, writers of AB have chosen to strip their lead of that aspect just to make things a little more harder for her if it were not already.
Samanalyse thumbnail
@Neetz: It is interesting that you should bring that up. I was thinking the other day that the word "Krishna" actually means dark in Sanskrit, though it is also the name of the mythological character. He was believed to have been dark-skinned so I am guessing our Krishna's parents named her that, giving a positive connotation to her dark skin.

However, the only people who seem to mention it are BDP, the awful boy at the coaching centre and just once, Krishna herself, when she compares Swati and her skin. The second instance shows how the colour of her skin sets her apart from her siblings at face value. At face value, Krishna seems pretty different and detached from her family who have "normal" ambitions and wishes but deep down she is as connected to them as they are to each other. There is a message here about not judging people at face value on many levels.

I actually just found out that "koyla khadaan" which is what they call her means a coal mine (so connotations of black and dangerous). Pinky also uses that to insult Krishna at the jalpaan. I think Pinky wants to stress the one thing she sees herself as "better" in, which is looks, because she fits the bill of this obsession with fairness so well. Everything else, Krishna is equal or better than her. Poor Pinky and her insecurities!

I love the way they have shown this difference on the show. Pinky is fair and rich and thinks that that entitles her to everything she wants. However, Krishna with her unassuming goodness and intelligence naturally attracts people towards her, and that too, the people that Pinky wants for herself. With Krishna, the CVs have really created a character in which you really see her personality outshine her looks. That is not to say she isn't gorgeous (which she soo is) but it simply isn't the first thing you notice about her.
AngeloScuro thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
@ All

I hope it is not mandatory for the thread opener to answer each and every person who contributed to the analysis but I am going to thank each and every one for contributing and trying to make this forum alive.

Thanks Sri and Neetz and Sam for highlighting about the caste system of Bhihar and what old money and new money means within this system. Also thanks for talking about Sarsawati ( I like her acting). Also thanks to those who are with me that Prishna should have a conversation before this week ends.

Please forgive me for I do not have anything much to add to the lovely discussions, suffice it to say I thoroughly enjoyed your values opinions and if I haven't included anything else like Pinto should totally have a backbone and say no to the marriage, please don't feel that I'm doing this through arrogance.

Once again thanks to all the lovely peopleπŸ˜ƒ

Edited by AngelDark - 12 years ago
AngeloScuro thumbnail

Originally posted by: Samanalyse

@Neetz: It is interesting that you should bring that up. I was thinking the other day that the word "Krishna" actually means dark in Sanskrit, though it is also the name of the mythological character. He was believed to have been dark-skinned so I am guessing our Krishna's parents named her that, giving a positive connotation to her dark skin.

However, the only people who seem to mention it are BDP, the awful boy at the coaching centre and just once, Krishna herself, when she compares Swati and her skin. The second instance shows how the colour of her skin sets her apart from her siblings at face value. At face value, Krishna seems pretty different and detached from her family who have "normal" ambitions and wishes but deep down she is as connected to them as they are to each other. There is a message here about not judging people at face value on many levels.

I actually just found out that "koyla khadaan" which is what they call her means a coal mine (so connotations of black and dangerous). Pinky also uses that to insult Krishna at the jalpaan. I think Pinky wants to stress the one thing she sees herself as "better" in, which is looks, because she fits the bill of this obsession with fairness so well. Everything else, Krishna is equal or better than her. Poor Pinky and her insecurities!

I love the way they have shown this difference on the show. Pinky is fair and rich and thinks that that entitles her to everything she wants. However, Krishna with her unassuming goodness and intelligence naturally attracts people towards her, and that too, the people that Pinky wants for herself. With Krishna, the CVs have really created a character in which you really see her personality outshine her looks. That is not to say she isn't gorgeous (which she soo is) but it simply isn't the first thing you notice about her.

That reminds me in our family we have dark skinned and fair skinned relatives . I'm talking about the whole extended family thing and the whole 3 generations. We being Muslims should not differentiate between colour we are thought but it do happens sometimes and one of our elders will give a scolding for doing such a thing if any of us even teases about colour, at social family gatherings and other times too. I'm trying to say it seems, are all human beings genetically predestined to differentiate between colour or is it social conditioning?
Edited by AngelDark - 12 years ago
Laila2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I hope the storyline does address Krishna's awareness of the color of her skin and how she might feel unattractive when Pinto approaches her. Some touching dialogue when she compares her skin color with him or how she wonders why he is attracted to her would really make our hearts melt and ahave us gushing. Pintuji really needs to let his Krishna (and us viewers know) how much he adores her and finds her beautiful both inside and out. If not, I will have to knock some sense into Pintuji πŸ˜›
Samanalyse thumbnail
@Angel: You are not at all obliged to respond to every single post. We are all having a discussion so you are free to pick on whatever points you find interesting/relevant in various people's posts and respond to those. πŸ˜ƒ

As for the skin colour thing, I don't think that kind of discrimination is encouraged anywhere, in any religion. It actually has a lot to do with colonialism and white supremacy but I won't bore you with my lengthy history lectures. πŸ˜† Anyway, they have this trend in parts of Africa as well, where before, the darker your skin, the more beautiful you were but after the advent of colonialism everybody tries to be fairer. It is not a conscious desire to emulate but a deep-seated psychological issue that is passed down from one generation to the next. It will take a while to come out of something that was so deeply ingrained into our collective psyche.

@Laila: I would love to see such a dialogue, a more elaborate version of his compliment at Swati's wedding. But I would prefer that neither of them actually mention the skin-colour issue as it is a non-issue for the two of them. I want Pintoo to tell Krishna she is beautiful inside out, simply and without any fancy frills and she will just understand what he means because of that connection they have. It is like he sees her for what she is in her purest form and the package makes no difference, though it is an extra bonus that it is such a nice one! 😳
0-SD-0 thumbnail
Sam,
loved reading your later posts. about Gotra..ya, I was explaining the same to Laila. And funny thing is, we have that gotra /surnames tree at home, such a big one and when my parents were scouting for marriage alliances for their kids, they always used to go to the tree first and check if the match is suitable. πŸ˜†
And about koyla khadaan...its not exactly coal mine as then it would be koyla khan. Koyla khadaan is Coal Quarry/pit. Both have same purpose, but mine is advanced with technologically and financially investments. Plus Bihar (I am talking about old united Bihar, not the current Jharkhand + Bihar) was/is such a mineral rich state that quarries may be common sites for ordinary people.
And one more thing that Dihati seems to have forgotten that diamonds come out of coal mines only and Krishna could be the diamond πŸ˜†.
Woh alag baat hai India doesn't have any coal mines that have diamonds. But Bihar definitely has the good grade coal apart from the rest of india. It has bituminous and part Anthracite(higest grade) coal sites unlike the lignite grades in south. India is rich in coal deposits.

Rachna,
Sorry, yaar did not have anything interesting to write on the show. Just enjoying posting with writing facts around Bihari/Indian background in relative context of AB characters setting. I was watching the first and second episode of AB yesterday and they were so refreshing. Let's see how it goes this week. πŸ˜ƒ
Happy Monday, Happy week ahead and Happy and interesting AB with lively and lovely discussions around it πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by shridevigaddam - 12 years ago
moniluvskinshuk thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
@ALL

Woww Guyzzz What a lovely Discussion . Just Amazing . U guys r so good writters tht we feel ourselves as Small infront of U guyzz . Keep it up πŸ‘πŸΌ .

@Sam @Laila

Well me2 want 2 see some scenes b/w prishna where Pintu says abt Krishna's inner beauty n d way u guys r telling . Would love 2 see such beautiful scenes b/w Prishna. 😳

@Shri

yeah Shree those were so refreshing episodes . Yup letzz see whatzz store in ct's bag for us dis week . I am sure Lotzz of twists n dhamaakas πŸ˜‰ n yeah Happy Monday and happy Week Ahead πŸ˜ƒ