Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sandiab thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago

Originally posted by: Samanalyse

@Sandia: I am not averse to the Mills & Boon genre myself. I am a very forgiving feminist thanks to being a die hard romantic. πŸ˜† - me too i love mills and boon although havent read 1 in ab a year coz watching all these shows on tv

And yes, Maan and Geet did have that push and pull a lot but in a measure that I could tolerate without my inner feminist committing suicide. And then to balance it Maan always treated Geet with utmost respect and as an equal, which is why it is my favourite. I was actually referring more specifically to a show on Star Plus, I am sure you know the one, which takes the whole bitter, abusive, and therefore sexy male way past any semblance of proportion. - i think i kn which 1 u are talking ab it was totally pathetic watching. all i can say is that i totally loved the man that why i tortored myself but i have to say watching that show was an insult to me as a woman and as a human being. -that was just pathetic

Not to mention all those saas-bahu shows where the husband treats the wife like crap because his mother made him marry her. 🀒- hahaha if u talkin ab indians no3 show u kn he has changed he is getting better.

Anyway, point is that AB may not be perfect but the conceptualisation of things like love, romance, abuse and family is much more balanced than what I see elsewhere and so it is a refreshing change.- true it is more realistic and i have loved that ab it so far.

Word Count: 0

sandiab thumbnail

Originally posted by: AngelDark

To educate in visual media is a difficult task.

I feel that there are three ways you can do it.

1. Make a comedy on the situation.

2. Make a fictional drama on the situation.

3. Make a documentary on it.

So AB's creatives need more creativity to show that it is not right to abuse women. I know some of my posts are dry but this is what I think at the moment and that I have gone off a tangent here.-very true and i hope they have the ability to do that coz they have started something and i hope they deal with it properly. bt the thing i am scared ab is that they dnt forget what they show and do another track.

So I'll end with this:

Suit the action to the word, the word to the action, with this
special observance, that you o'erstep not the modesty of nature:
for any thing so o'erdone is from the purpose of playing, whose
end, both at the first and now,
was and is, to hold as 'twere the
mirror up to nature: to show virtue her feature, scorn her own
image, and the very age and body of the time his form and
pressure.

Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 17'24 Shakespeare

beautiful words
WhiteNights thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Girls, some great discussion going on here. Take a bow everyone!πŸ‘
Alas I am too late to put forth any value adding comments but how i love being on the AB forum where we have such brilliant writers and exceptionally good analysts. I am happy that I came to this place and I cant seem to get enough of the discussions nowπŸ˜†

@ Sandiab, thanks for opening this topic and your brilliant post.

@Shridevi, Sam, Angel and UrshP, how beautifully you guys have put forth your views. I am so speechless.😳

Once again brilliant thread!
Edited by ConnectTheDots. - 12 years ago
0-SD-0 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: ConnectTheDots.

Girls, some great discussion going on here. Take a bow everyone!πŸ‘

Alas I am too late to put forth any value adding comments but how i love being on the AB forum where we have such brilliant writers and exceptionally good analysts. I am happy that I came to this place and I cant seem to get enough of the discussions nowπŸ˜†

@ Sandiab, thanks for opening this topic and your brilliant post.

@Shridevi, Sam, Angel and UrshP, how beautifully you guys have put forth your views. I am so speechless.😳

Once again brilliant thread!

Same here.
I too love this forum. Very muchπŸ€—

It started affecting my office work 😭 I always feel like being on the forum (sigh!)
AngeloScuro thumbnail
@Shridevi, Sam, Neetz and UrshP

Yeah this show has dragged me into this forum and has got me out of my comfort zone and started talking on a forum for the first time in my life.
I used to watch Gulaal but then I just made minor remarks for inconsistencies in the show.πŸ˜ƒ

and it's good that I've come across those who can express without arguingπŸ˜†
Edited by AngelDark - 12 years ago
fanbebo thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
dear you are right...
This is daily soap... if they give the easy way to krishna, then what is way of the show, dear we have to wait, truth will come soon... !!!
Dilbole_ShiOmRu thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Sandid, shri, sam, angel beautiful discussion going on here I loved all the post. I love in AB that abuse is not being glorified in the show. Even if Ravi and pintu were shown to crossing the limits. They showed their repentance in proper way and they were not justified but condemn for their actions.

sandiab thumbnail

I seriously just love this show a slap can never just be a slap and can never just be right or wrong and the latest is actually the best for 2 reasons and neither relate to the fact that the recipient was that detestable girl. But rather coz there where so many things attached to it just like the other slaps and once again the issue of right and wrong doesn't really feature into it.

When I first watched it just like most fans on the forum I wasn't disappointed with his actions coz this slap could have been given by any1 who loves Krishna. It could have been her sisters, Ravi, her mom or even a stranger and it could have been given after they had gotten her of or if she had tried to attack Krishna again. But as a Pintu fan I would have preferred that when he raises his hand against any1 whether male or female as a last option and not the first and I so wanted that they had showed him slap her after she had tried to attack Krishna again. Than I started wondering what are they actually trying to show with him acting this way all the time and it can't just be ab impulsiveness and his lack of control. I don't see him as 1 of these men who feel that he is entitled to behave in this manner with woman and don't see him as a woman beater so what was the point and than it hit me its all ab control. I think most of us have heard that the reason women who have been in violent relationships stayed in it after every beating was coz he told me he didn't know what he was doing and continued coz he couldn't control himself. As soon as this thought came into my head I was so happy that they showed him slap her immediately coz his reaction afterwards was amazing coz even after slapping her so hard he still wanted to continue but stopped himself he was aware of what he had just done and what he would be doing and controlled himself. At that moment I just wished that every woman/ man( 1 know of 2 men who where and other still is in an abusive relationship) who is in a violent relationship and stayed coz the person said they couldn't control themselves watched this scene over and over again and I prayed they think ab their situation more objectively and not subjectively.

The second reason that I loved this scene in most shows whether its an Indian or an English most times when they show men pushing woman to the ground and they either walking away or standing above and this always unsettles me. I don't know if I am explaining it correctly but it somehow shows woman as being weak, powerless and men as strong, powerful and the 1 who has all the strength. So I really loved that when he had pushed her never mind the evil, resilient look in her eyes the fact that she wasn't on the ground somehow made her look even stronger.

Another thing I read all the discussions on whether his actions where right or wrong and most thought he was correct but some wondered what was the need for him to slap her if he could have just pushed her like he had done after he had slapped her. I couldn't help but remember a conversation I had with a friend ab the pushing and pulling roughly issue that happens in some relationships and whether this should also be included as violent behavior. Coz I think in some relationship the man will not necessarily hit a woman in a way that we recognize it as being abuse but rather he would push, pull, pinch and squeeze her roughly. And we can dispute it, it sounds silly to tell some1 that we left a person coz they where doing this but where there is an intention to hurt we should be careful and watchful that the person doesn't continue doing it coz they might not even realize that they are hurting us by doing this.

The slapping spree is not over yet and there might be 1 or a few more until Pintu realizes that violence is never an answer so I am very excited ab the next 1. Even though my eyes will be closed if its Krishna coz I have a bad feeling it will be her but this time I am not in a hurry 4 this issue to be dealt with. So really brilliant work by the writers of this show I wish we could have a proper, proper interview of these guys and ask them if they had intended some of the things we have interpreted coz it doesn't really look intentional.

0-SD-0 thumbnail
Sandia,

Sub: Is AB setting a bad example?...through showing slapping???

Liked this
I seriously just love this show a slap can never just be a slap and can never just be right or wrong and the latest is actually the best for 2 reasons and neither relate to the fact that the recipient was that detestable girl. But rather coz there where so many things attached to it just like the other slaps and once again the issue of right and wrong doesn't really feature into it.

The slapping spree is not over yet and there might be 1 or a few more until Pintu realizes that violence is never an answer so I am very excited ab the next 1. Even though my eyes will be closed if its Krishna coz I have a bad feeling it will be her but this time I am not in a hurry 4 this issue to be dealt with. So really brilliant work by the writers of this show I wish we could have a proper, proper interview of these guys and ask them if they had intended some of the things we have interpreted coz it doesn't really look intentional.

I wanted to mention the difference in Pinto Singh slaps and the intended Tuntun Singh slap...since we are talking about the show and the slaps towards women.

Pinto Singh claims himself to be man of actions and not words. But he does give a chance for the erring party in his eyes, to correct themselves.

Let's see him first handling men.

In the temple scene, when men are teasing Krishna, he warns them and no collar-holding and punchinh happens. Okay good!

Then let's go cinema theater scene. Pinky is teased, she complains to Pinto twice. And the first words that he says to eve-teasing men are of warning, but the very next moment, he does his collar-holding, grabbing and punching. An unwarranted fight without giving the opportunity for the men to speak because he believes they were in wrong. But most of the viewers did comment on that day, if the bashing stemmed out from his pent up anger from last few days against Krishna and somehow taking it out in that fashion. The people in theater, the security gaurds all admonish Pinto for his brashness and so the show producers did their part of giving the message to people that you just cannot start punching people just like that. Yes, he gets salvaged only because of Krishna supporting him, else he would have been in trouble especially as he did not give one single chance for the men he was beating to talk about something. What will that show when police investigation happens ???

Now let's go to Ravi, Vidya's employer place, where Pinto seeing high words and man-handling going on towards Vidya, he just goes, grabs the collars of the man again and starts his action..this time only to be stopped by Krishna and which he agrees to. Again a message is given...not to take law in his hands...basically don't go for physical fights before verbal confrontations.

Now let's come to Pinto Singh handling FRENZY-CRAZY females.

In both the slaps that he gave to Krishna or Pinky, I saw a man, who just knew how to beat sense in a frenzy woman. While in Krishna's case, he had done plenty of pleading and explaining before he slaps her, in Pinky's case, he had done plenty of controlling his anger at Pinky's unruly, bullish and high-handed behaviour and when in the restaurant scene, when Pinky goes on even after him warning her to stop in verbal way, he resorts to his action. ...stopped by Krishna. Both the times he had regretted that it had to happen. In the last actual slap to Pinky in front of her house, he was in total control of himself and his emotions and he reacted only to a frenzy woman, slapped her to arrest her actions; at which he fails and only left to push her away again. This time he had no regrets for his action. He just had disgust for the woman.

Let's now discuss Tuntun Singh's intended slap to his wife Ganga Devi.

I cannot talk about this considering the gravity of it. It was an actual action of reproach from Tuntun Singh at his wife actually finding words before him...something that may have caused him dismay and his disapproval at the breach of trust by his wife according to him. But in the same exact manner it was a reproachable action to Ganga Devi from her husband, a breach of trust of the relationship they have had for all these years. And this pain was something to see.

Anyways, things were all instanteous there...Tuntun stops himself as he sees his wife's expression, his younger son asking his father to stop himself in a fearful voice. As it relents again to verbal drama, we have the whole drama put an end to by his grandson's crying.

What to do we want to say about this slap ? Coz, I will leave it at that as something of a private matter of Tuntun's family. Not everything needs to be looked through Police eyes. Not every range of action can be judged in terms of decorum and code of conduct.

Edited by shridevigaddam - 12 years ago
-Morgoth- thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I'm against even parents hitting their children so anyone be it a brother or boyfriend or husband, slapping is wrong. In our daily soaps women usually falls in love with the boy who slaps and abuses her. That's a wrong example. Even in domestic life when wife gets slapped by husband for any reason it gets justified as love and whatnot. A slap is not justified under any circumstance. I hope our shows evolve and stop such ridiculous scenes of girls getting slapped.