Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blokes thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Originally posted by: ConnectTheDots.

Thank you for the articles and the info you provided about how Government is struggling to tackle this situation.

I think Afsar Bitiya is doing a great job in spreading awareness among common people of the frauds and the corruption that goes on at such high profile service levels as well.
Heretofore i used to think that corruption is present only either at political level or the middle and lower middle level. I had high opinions of Government officials in the IAS,IPS etc positions since they are supposed to be the truly brilliant, well learned lot.
So this show is an eye opener.

It is still true that the majority who get in are brilliant. One rare Pinky comes through by fraudulent means. But the government is becoming more aware of such cases and is ensuring that positions in the civil services are not sabotaged. It is another matter that the way political parties are funded is through these very functionaries of the government.

The way it works is based on "cuts"- let us take the simple case of the recent Guaranteed Rural employment Scheme- the promised amount of pay is Rs 100, but the "cut" is say, Rs 10. This Rs 10 per person per day is "shared" by everyone down the chain- from the fellow who is disbursing the funds to the actual rural worker all the way to the top- up to the top brass in the political party that has "funded" this program through the government machinery. The rural poor is happy to get Rs 90 and does not make a fuss about Rs 100 not getting to him- he thinks it is a sort of "tip" to the guy who gives it to him. the fellow disbursing the money on site has to be "answerable" to the fellow above him and ensures that he gets his Rs 1 or Rs 2 as the case may be and this chain is perpetrated. So, what looks like a meager Rs 10 ends up as crores when it reaches the top. These are ways by which political parties fund themselves for the next election as it costs a lot to afford to campaign.

Citizen vigilance and asking the right questions by the electorate are basic requirements for a democracy to function. I sincerely hope this show educates the viewers on the rights of the citizen and expose the leeches who suck the energy out of the system.