Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Samanalyse thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
Insofar as parental love is concerned, I would say yes it is unconditional in most cases. However, the ways in which this love can manifest itself can be erratic, unpredictable and cause more harm than good if there is a communication gap between the parent and the child with regards to their definitions of happiness and success.

If we take the example of TTS, on some level he is doing what he believes is good for Pintu. He is ensuring that he gets married to someone who will do the wedding in a grand way and do justice, at least materially, to being associated with their family. But he is woefully unaware of what would actually make Pintu happy and so his expectations become a burden for Pintu. I think if parents and children communicate properly about what they want mutually from their relationships and their lives and give sound reasoning for expectations or decisions there is much less conflict and much less needless sacrifice and pain. The problem here is that TTS is not willing to hear his sons, either of them out and is trying to be the sole decider in their lives.

So basically like any relationship, I feel that a parent-child relationship needs constant work and attention from both ends to manage expectations and desires of both parties. I do not doubt for a second that TTS loves his children, why he is so hurt when the continue to desert him, but contrary to popular belief, love is not all you need.
veela thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
No relationship is unconditional.Not even parents and children. Expecting anything - love, money, help with cleaning the house, anything silly- are all expectations. To love a guy with all your heart but if he did not come back home and ask how you are, you will feel bad , because u expected him to, that it is the least he can do considering you give him so much love... between sister and sister, brother and sister... if our love towards anyone was unconditional, we would never get angry at them, never be disappointed, never feel betrayed... we feel all these things because we love everyone conditionally... I think it is very naive to say parents or anyone love you unconditionally.. yes, they may love you no matter how you are or what you are but if you happen to disappoint them et al, there is hurt.. and that is only because their love for you was on the condition that you will not disappoint them ...
zarmeeno thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: veela

No relationship is unconditional.Not even parents and children. Expecting anything - love, money, help with cleaning the house, anything silly- are all expectations. To love a guy with all your heart but if he did not come back home and ask how you are, you will feel bad , because u expected him to, that it is the least he can do considering you give him so much love... between sister and sister, brother and sister... if our love towards anyone was unconditional, we would never get angry at them, never be disappointed, never feel betrayed... we feel all these things because we love everyone conditionally... I think it is very naive to say parents or anyone love you unconditionally.. yes, they may love you no matter how you are or what you are but if you happen to disappoint them et al, there is hurt.. and that is only because their love for you was on the condition that you will not disappoint them ...

Wow Veela u have described it beautifully and that is what I was trying to explain from the beginning which u have put into words beautifully
Sumy_luv_KM thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
AWESUM topic but parents love is the best love we get and give so wheather is conditional or unconditional yaar!but its the best love!
anjubala thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: zarmeeno

Wow Veela u have described it beautifully and that is what I was trying to explain from the beginning which u have put into words beautifully

Then there will be no humans on this earth.. GOD has made humans with a heart... which never ceases to expect and to hope. If a person loves somebody then the expectation is always there that he will be loved too in return. If you call this as condition of his love then so be it.
But parents love is closest to being uncondiitonal. If a child is hurt or does not fulfill the expectations of his parent then yes parents are hurt but still they do not stop loving their child. This is the best love anybody can get.
veela thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Then there will be no humans on this earth.. GOD has made humans with a heart... which never ceases to expect and to hope. If a person loves somebody then the expectation is always there that he will be loved too in return. If you call this as condition of his love then so be it.
But parents love is closest to being uncondiitonal. If a child is hurt or does not fulfill the expectations of his parent then yes parents are hurt but still they do not stop loving their child. This is the best love anybody can get.

But you read me wrong...I never said it is not love or it is a bad thing. I simply said it is not unconditional and it is a fact. To expect nothing is being truly enlightened and free from all bindings of the mortal world and we are humans and therefore enlightened, we are not. We all have expectations, hopes and desires from each other, that is a condition. I think we should stop looking at unconditional love as the epitome of love and the only true love possible because it is far from reality. we all love for various reasons... some of us love because we produced beings and they are a part of us aka, parents. some of love because we have chosen few people to spend the rest of our life with etc etc . We love different things and people differently... i said in my post, we do love our children no matter but it is conditional and it is not a bad thing at all.. like you said, it is human to do so and therefore we must acknowledge it and not scoff at it like it is the worst kind of love...
Edited by veela - 12 years ago