Afsar Bitia Characters and their choices

blokes thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
They are genuine and also show the power of upcoming "small towns" in India where people are waking up to a grander economic reality. What surprised me was how the mother indulged the pretty girl to buy makeup while she cribbed every dime spent on books and stuff for the studious girl. The "pink" nail polish was a bit overdone, IMHO, but clearly reflects the consumeristic trends of small town India where every guest will be a offered a 'cola" instead of water or chai or lassi.

It also shows the complete commercialization of education where everyone is going to coaching classes and not regular educational institutions. That should wake up the government towards education reforms.

Access to resources such as a public library, internet etc. have not been explored here and that surprised me as in India I found a greater access to internet cafes even in small towns and villages as opposed to the US! And the cost per hour at those cafes are ridiculously cheap.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

moksha89 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
well said, there definitely is a raw feeling within the show that was aptly captured.

in terms of the internet cafe, i feel like maybe the reason to utilize them was not incorporated yet, but it's very true that the US is catching up to certain economical and social trends which have already been well established in asian countries.

as for the mother, i figured that she was accustomed to the typical things girls do for fun (paint nails, look pretty especially for an occasion), and allowing her daughter to pick her favorite choices was another way of giving them joy. but now i also believe that to her, investments in these things seem more beneficial than Krishna's studying due to what i had mentioned in a topic ... Saraswati is afraid that Krishna's desire to study might not come to fruition, her dream might not occur because of social and economical pressures which she has seen occur and have become accustomed to experience

good post, blokes
moniluvskinshuk thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
Very nice topic . Yes In dis show d realistic feel was given so tht audience could relate 2 d show . n I m very happy 2 see dis .
azuria thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Very nice discussion topic.
Saraswati is thinking in terms of if Krishna is educated then they have to look for a man who is educated too. And then the amount of dowry goes up many noches.

Buying a nailpolish for the wedding is a resonable thing in her opinion. Her greatest wish is to see her girls get married.

I grew up In India and I know of my own expirience that as soon as you cross 18 people start talking aboput the girl coming of age and start looking for a suitable groom. The pressure is on whole family not only the girl. The people you know they start asking if the parents are looking for a suitable match for their daughter or not. Some times they can come up with a proposal some time they give hints.

Thus a pretty girl has to look ready and pretty all the time in case some take notice of her and come up with a proposal.

In Krishnas case Saraswati thinks she is dark there will be problems finding a suitable match for her. Thats the gross reality of India. Coulor define the major virtue for a girl still. On top of that if she is educated then it will be impossible for them to marry her off with that dowery that they can afford.

She dose not think that Krishna can achive anything in life since everywhere you have to pay bribe to get a small job in a government sector.

That is one of the resons Saraswati agreed to the proposal for Krishna since then they are spared the time and effort to look for a groom for Krishna as well as no dowery and two daughters are married off.

blokes thumbnail

Originally posted by: moksha89

well said, there definitely is a raw feeling within the show that was aptly captured.

in terms of the internet cafe, i feel like maybe the reason to utilize them was not incorporated yet, but it's very true that the US is catching up to certain economical and social trends which have already been well established in asian countries.

as for the mother, i figured that she was accustomed to the typical things girls do for fun (paint nails, look pretty especially for an occasion), and allowing her daughter to pick her favorite choices was another way of giving them joy. but now i also believe that to her, investments in these things seem more beneficial than Krishna's studying due to what i had mentioned in a topic ... Saraswati is afraid that Krishna's desire to study might not come to fruition, her dream might not occur because of social and economical pressures which she has seen occur and have become accustomed to experience

good post, blokes

Thanks Moksha- liked your "investments in these things" point! Indeed, for a mother of 4 girls, such "investments" pay more dividends than "education'!LOL!
blokes thumbnail

Originally posted by: azuria

Very nice discussion topic.
Saraswati is thinking in terms of if Krishna is educated then they have to look for a man who is educated too. And then the amount of dowry goes up many noches.

Buying a nailpolish for the wedding is a resonable thing in her opinion. Her greatest wish is to see her girls get married.

I grew up In India and I know of my own expirience that as soon as you cross 18 people start talking aboput the girl coming of age and start looking for a suitable groom. The pressure is on whole family not only the girl. The people you know they start asking if the parents are looking for a suitable match for their daughter or not. Some times they can come up with a proposal some time they give hints.

Thus a pretty girl has to look ready and pretty all the time in case some take notice of her and come up with a proposal.

In Krishnas case Saraswati thinks she is dark there will be problems finding a suitable match for her. Thats the gross reality of India. Coulor define the major virtue for a girl still. On top of that if she is educated then it will be impossible for them to marry her off with that dowery that they can afford.

She dose not think that Krishna can achive anything in life since everywhere you have to pay bribe to get a small job in a government sector.

That is one of the resons Saraswati agreed to the proposal for Krishna since then they are spared the time and effort to look for a groom for Krishna as well as no dowery and two daughters are married off.

azuria- thanks for commenting- however, the nailpolish is not a pre-wedding purchase- she has been "regularly" buying pink nailpolish!

Strangely, when I lived in India, I found this weird corelation- when I lived in Chennai, and then later Delhi, the schools I went to, girls were more interested in studying than how they looked (in those days absolutely NO makeup- this entire make up trend started after the slew of Miss worlds and universes inundated India's markets with cosmetics) but my small town experience was to the contrary- girls there liked to dress up and would put on powder (talc, wear kohl in their eyes, wear flowers in their hair and some even plaited their hair in different ways). The reason for this, I thought then was that in larger cities you "saw" the competition and wanted to succeed academically. In smaller towns, the competition was not so evident.

Of course, today, the average high schooler is more stressed than we ever were before cable TV! Doordarshan had a calming effect on us and also showed topics that related to what we studied in school. I still remember coming back from school and watching the afternoon telecast of IGNOU lessons on Archeology, Chemistry, Physics etc.- open university classes. Today, the internet is a fund of such lessons available for FREE! I can now say I attended lectures at MIT!
blokes thumbnail
azuria- another point that u bring out- about dowry increasing with "education"- it is time to buck that trend. True education will make u recognize that u are the source of ur own economic well being. Hence u r not dependent on another for that. That sort of self worth has to be fostered within the youth. I am expecting this show to show that shift in perception.

Same with "krishna"- the "dark one"! I personally know of many marriages where the husband married a darker skinned girl because she was "dark' (that includes me! My husband said he liked me because I was NOT fair!LOL! and he is very light skinned!). As much as the mothers of grooms may prefer light skin, Indian men and even American men and Hispanic men and European men like some "color" on their women!LOL! Here, in the US, I have seen men get attracted to darker, tanned skins than lighter, whiter skins- there is a richness in color that goes missing unless you are a typical, traditional white girl with a peaches and cream complexion- those girls are in demand too! The sallow white, pale gets no one noticed! Hopefully this show emphazises that too- men's tastes for darker skin than women's perception! If you notice, it is the mother and the daughter who are having a convo about skin color- NOT the MEN!