Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

apolloartemis thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: Limo

Where are you guys Saana and Sabita, I am famished for more of your stories. Make an entrance, I am waiting...

I've been traveling and work has been very hectic! Chapter 4 will be up tomorrow and rest of chapters by end of week hopefully!
Limo thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Take care and rest. Look after your self..
apolloartemis thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Finally Part 4!

Part 4

The clash of steel rang throughout the clearing as Varundev and Devsena danced around it each. The watchers stood in awe at the skill of the participants. Varundev's forceful blows were countered by Devsena's nimbleness, while her slashes often missed the mark thanks to his flexibility. It was obvious to the watchers that the two were each others perfect match in this duel. Neither could win over the other.

Mahishi Devi are all Aryans like this? The prime minister thought worriedly. No, impossible. We would have been trounced despite our numbers if that was the case. This Aryan is merely the perfect example of his kind. Oh I wish he had not dueled the princess! She is intrigued enough as it is!

Really? On top of beauty and wit she has to be a fighter as well? Abrook thought, stifling his groan. Why oh why is she so perfect for Varundev? Could there be truth to that lackwit Shivum's ranting that she is his atmasangini? In that case, can we count on Varundev to kill her when the time comes? Abrook blinked as another thought came to mind

Can we count on her to do so?

"You are a marvelous fighter. Devsena's smile was radiant. Varundev blinked, taken aback by her dazzle mien.

"You too are a pratham yodha, Raj-Devsena. He amended, smiling at her mock glare. "I've never met a fighter as good as you.

"A woman fighter you mean?

"No, the men pale in comparison to you as well. It was Varundev's turn to give a wide smile. It transformed his face, going from a solemn, grim cast to a more boyish manner that suited him well. Devsena blinked, stopping for a moment, amazing at the transformation. Varundev took advantage of her distraction, moving swiftly and hooking a foot through her leg. Devsena let out a startled hmph as she tumbled into his arms.

Varundev paused, looking back at the Princess, who was staring at him with an almost confused expression. As if she could not reconcile being in his arms. Varundev too was startled. Looking at him from above, it was as if a fist had squeezed his heart. He wanted to keep Devsena in his arms and never let her go. Her weight was comforting, and for the first time since his father's death Varundev felt at peace.

Devsena blinked and made to move up. Varundev also shook himself from his reverie and helped her up, easing away from her. As he did so, he realized that the entire time, Devsena had had a knife at the side of his neck, a breath away from plunging in.

"You did not win Varundev. Devsena smiled at him softly. Varundev's lips lifted despite his permission.

"Not did you.

"The first time this has happened to me.

"And to me.

"The solution to such a dilemma is simple is it not?

"Is it?

"We must fight again.

Varundev continued to smile, lowering his head in a shallow bow. "I would like that.

Devsena turned to a silent Abrook.

"Unless you object? She challenged. Abrook shook his head.

"I have no objections, Princess.

XXX

That night, both Varundev and Devsena visited each other in their dreams. For Varundev Devsena danced around him, fighting one moment, running away playfully the next. He couldn't make heads of tails out of her actions, but her expressions caught his heart and would not let go. It was an odd feeling. Feeling alive and exhilarated and almost a total stranger to oneself. Yet, at the same time, being truer to oneself as never before.

On Devsena's end, Varundev's countenance tormented and tantalized her. His smile transformed into a smirk as he challenged her, and she was helpless to do anything to but respond. Something had happened to her since she met the Aryan. Some strange longing had enveloped Devsena, taking her far away from the person she was...to perhaps the person she was meant to be. All Devsena knew, staring at the mirror, seeing her tired countenance, was for the first time she felt simultaneously terrified and elated.

XXX

"I'm telling you, she is your atmasangini. Shivum insisted. On his other side, Abrook sighed and shook his head. Since the Dravid princess had entered the encampment, his headaches seemed to have exponentially multiplied. And it didn't seem like it would end anytime soon.

"Stop listening to him. Abrook insisted wearily. At this side, Varundev started ahead, eyes fixed on the Dravid encampment, gaze distant. Abrook knew what Varundev was thinking of. At this point, everyone knew what Varundev was thinking of.

"Why am I wrong? Shivum challenged. "Because she is the enemy? Might I reminder you, Sabhasad, that the shastras say that the enemy can also be your atmasangini. There is no one better suited for...

"Why are you insisting on this Shivum? Varundev's calm voice broke the budding argument. "Abrook is right. We are enemies. Why do you keep waking my heart?

"The fact that you say this gives my reason Varundev. Shivum replied angrily. "Since we were children you have sacrificed yourself on the altar of Aryanhood. Not one moment has gone by where you have ever thought for yourself. But that was what made you happy so I said not one word as I saw my friend castigate himself for the smallest mistakes. But when this girl came into your life...Varundev your eyes light up when she is nearby. You don't realize it but you near glow, my friend. It is as if Agnidev takes residence inside you. And it's not one-sided! No Abrook, He shook his head, stopping Abrook's interruption, "let me finish. The Dravid princess looks upon you as if you have stepped out from her dreams. Varundev, if we fight the Dravids, you will not be able to fight this woman wholeheartedly. Not if you don't confess. If you are incomplete, your karmic cycle will not let you rest. Please my friend, do not deny yourself this. Do no spiral down the path of self-destruction. You, who have always striven to be the perfect Aryan...do not make yourself incomplete. Confess, and know the truth of her heart. Because, my friend, the truth of yours is evident to all around you.

The clearing was silent. Varundev looked to Abrook, who shook his head. In frustration? In commiseration? Varundev could not tell. But his heart was beating like it had never beaten before in his life. His hands were clammy and trembling. Shivum's words, the truth he had held in front of Varundev...there was no walking away from that.

"All right. Varundev exhaled. "All right. I will go to her now and tell her the truth of my heart.

He walked away. Abrook and Shivum looked at each in silence for a moment.

"You may just have ended his life. Abrook said quietly. Shivum shrugged, picking up his sword.

"If he dies, he will die as a whole man. Not an incomplete warrior- not an incomplete lover. We lead such uncertain lives, Abrook. It makes no sense to constrain ourselves. Not in matters of the heart.

"Half-wit you may be Shivum. But in some matters you do see clearly. Abrook replied, finally defeated. Both watching Varundev's proud, straight back making its way to the Dravid encampment.

"One way or the other something will change. Abrook exhaled. "Let us see what the fates have planned.

XX

"Princess it is the Aryan Varundev. Devsena started, eyes moving away from her reflection. Her stomach fluttered, a sensation she had never had before. She swallowed, mouth inexplicably dry as she moved towards the entrance of the tent.

"Let him in. Devsena said softly, standing a little ways from the entrance. She clenched her hands to stop the trembling, eyes fastened on Varundev's form as he entered. Devsena shook her head, preventing the guards from coming in. They retreated, leaving the two alone.

"Is something the matter? Devsena asked, moving towards her vanity, trying not the fidget as Varundev's gaze bored into her, as if he was peeling her apart, peering into her soul.

"Your Majesty, I have something I wish to speak to you about. His voice seemed to bore into her as well. Devsena had never felt so exposed, standing in front of this Aryan.

"I told you to call me Devsena. This is an order of a princess.

"Devsena. Varundev corrected himself.

"Speak then. What has bought you here?

"Your love has pulled me here.

Devsena jerked towards Varundev, mouth dropping slightly. Varundev straightened further in response, eyes locked onto hers.

"My friend believes I am in love. And this is true. Since I have seen you...touched you, my mind has been filled with you. My brain says you are my enemy, and my heart says you are my atmasangini. You haunt me Devsena. You image haunts my dreams. Your voice follows me wherever I go. Your grace, your mannerisms...I close my eyes and they flash before me. Everything in me says you are my destiny. And as a warrior, I could not keep my feelings to myself. My life has always been about believing in and upholding the truth. It would an insult to you...to my love for you, if I faltered and did not let you know my feelings. I...

"Stop. Devsena breathed. "Please stop. Don't you realize what you are saying? Our clans hate each other. You are my enemy. Whatever is happening now, a fight is inevitable. And we will face each other across the battlefield...

"Then we are fortunate. Varundev countered, walking towards her, but stopping as Devsena raised a hand. Instead he stood a few feet away, intense gaze upon her.

"Rarely have people had the honor of meeting their soulmates. Even if we fight, our swords will clang with our love song, instead of hate. Each blo w a sign of our love and regard.

Devsena exhaled, eyes not even blinking as Varundev continued.

"We Aryans believe in reincarnation. Whatever happens in this life, our bond will echo across eternity. Nothing can stand in the way of that.

"Varundev...

"Devsena...even before I knew who you were...I have always been...and always shall be...yours.

Devsena swallowed, closing her eyes and turning away. She felt Varundev step closer, his nearness a brand of warmth at her back. Devsena couldn't help but lean back, aching to absorb that warmth, greedy for the sensation of that skin.

"You make me feel...you know I am a Princess. The sole heir of the Dravid throne. I cannot...I cannot allow my feelings to overtake my duty Varundev. Don't you think I sense something between us? I have been fighting it since we first met. But you make me feel that laying down my arms would not be wrong. I, who have never tired of any fight...I feel worn out.

"Worn out? No Devsena, no. Our love makes the world new. I feel...I feel reborn.

"Reborn? Devsena laughed, eyes remaining closed. "Birth, death...all is in the hands of Mahishi Devi.

"And love? Varundev placed a hand on Devsena's shoulder. Devsena shuddered, but didn't move. His touch sent sparks singing down her skin. She was greedy for more.

"Love...that too is her domain

"If it is her domain, then is it not her wish that we feel the way we do?

"Stop. Devsena finally got the strength to shrug Varundev's hand off her shoulder. Instantly, she ached for the lost contact. Hardening her heart, she walked further into the tent. Varundev stood still for a moment, then firmed his jaw and walked after her.

"How we face life is just as important as how we face death Devsena. You are not a coward, my Princess.

Devsena remained silent. Varundev nodded, turned and then turned back. Taking a bronze jeenu from his side pocket, he placed it by her bed.

"The silver jeenu of the Sabhasad I cannot give you, as it is not mine to give. It belongs forever to the Aryan council. But this jeenu, humble bronze though it is, has belonged to my family for generations. It is the one thing that is truly mine. If my love is one-sided, discard it. I will accept your feelings and my destiny will decide what my life will be. But if you accept my love...wear it, however you choose. And no matter what happens in the future, our love will be the winner.

Laying the jeenu on the bed, Varundev took a last long at Devsena and walked out, heart thudding. Though he did not know it, Devsena's heart was beating in tandem with him.

Devsena turned and looked at the jeenu, mind churning.

XXX

Devsena, The voice intruded in her dreams. Devsena frowned, turning and going deeper into her sleep.

My darling daughter. My heir. I told Hahuma you were my blood. I told her you would follow my dreams, not hers.

Mother? Mother is that you?

Mahishi Devi finally allowed me to enter your dreams. Oh my sweet child, I have missed you so! Maharni Chamundi was just as beautiful as Devsena remembered. Here in her dream world, the Queen exuded life, so different from the cold corpse who Devsena had been dreaming off for the past fifteen years.

It was strange. Her mother's mouth did not move, but her voice boomed throughout the landscape.

Hahuma? Devsena's thought's whirled Mother what do you mean?

I prayed and prayed to Mahishi Devi. I didn't go forth to Paradise because I didn't want Hahuma to trap you my love. Well-intentioned a cage may be, but all it does is slowly kill the bird. My sweetest daughter.

Mother please, tell me what you mean!

I loved an Aryan too Devsena. I loved an Aryan too. And I died for that love.

Devsena reeled. She wanted to wake up from this dream. But Chamundi's presence surrounded her, twirling about her like a mad wind. She stood, in the eye of the storm, feeling flayed by the revelations around her.

Do not allow Hahuma to push you down that narrow path my love. Everything must change. Everything. Thinking, culture. Nothing is static. Not even us Dravids. A tree must be flexible, lest it be uprooted. Even Mahishi Devi wants us to change. She is beautiful and terrible Devsena. One way or the other we must change. I could not stand against Hahuma. You must

Be Devsena. Be the future.

Remember me. Remember my words.

Hahuma killed me. My sister is not your well-wisher

Remember that

You are the future of the Dravid Rajya. Forge that future with your own hands. With your own thoughts.

Now my darling. Wake up!

WAKE UP!!

Devsena jolted awake, panting lighting, sweating into the night.

"What kind of dream was that? Her heart was pounding, sweat had broken out across her body. She could not control her trembling.

It was no dream Devsena thought Chamundi Amma did come to me, I know it. It was a sign from Mahishi Devi.

Or am I just making this up? Am I trying to find a reason to accept Varundev's love?

"Your Majesty! the messenger broke into the tent. Devsena started, then snarled.

"What is wrong with you?! Don't you know common etiquette? Devsena's maid ran after him. "How dare you enter the princess's room without being announced?!

"The news is urgent The messenger panted, bent over, hands on his knees. He stood up, after a moment, looking at her in fright.

"Your Majesty, your aunt attempted a coup!

For a moment Devsena started at him, struck silent. The words refused to make sense. How could they? How could her aunt, who had raised her, taught her all about ruling...how could that woman have attempted a coup?

"What? Her voice was weak.

"Queen Regent Dayalini and Commander Thangam attempted a coup. Her minister's voice coolly cut into the tent. Devsena stood up, staggering slightly in shock before straightening. "Luckily Hahuma and your father had inkling of her intentions, and subdued them both before much damage could be done. But we must leave now and head back.

"We should leave behind a presence. The Aryans must not know of this internal weakening. The head priestess had also entered the tent. Devsena stood silenty as the two women argued.

Hahuma killed me. My sister is not your well-wisher

"Enough. Devsena snapped, silencing the two women in her tent. "I will not listen to you bickering when something of such great import has happened. We will leave now. But first, She turned to her minister. "Have our spies said anything about the Aryan reinforcement?

"They are still making their way through the mountains. Heavy snowfall has delayed them. But, heavy rains have delayed our troops as well.

"I don't know why Mahishi Devi is delaying this confrontation. I cannot understand why she does not speak to me anymore The head priestess twirled her beads nervously.

Mahishi Devi wants us to change. She is beautiful and terrible Devsena.

"Perhaps it is not that she does not speak to you, Priestess. Devsena said, surprised by the coolness of her tone.

"Perhaps you choose not to listen to what she is saying.

"Your Majesty...

"We are leaving now! I must go and speak with the Aryans. Pack my tent and make ready!

I must speak with Varundev and tell him the truth of my heart. How we face life is as important as how we face death

And then I must speak with Hahuma

I must know the truth

XXX

"I wish you all luck in whatever matters take you away from us, Your Majesty. Agnimitra said, inclining his head slightly.

"You need not display false concern, Purohit. Rest assured, we will be back. The minister replied coolly. Agnimitra raised a hand in negation.

"The concern is not false, I assure you. Rarely have Aryans and Dravids enjoyed such peace. You will note that our people were able to interact without much discord.

"Reinforced strongly through fists and words. Kaldev muttered. Varundev shifted uneasily, eyes trying to catch Devsena's. She ignored him, gazing wordlessly at the priest. Silence reined before Devsena stepped forward.

"Purohit. Her voice, clear and cool rang through. "We have not forgotten how you seek to invade our shores and take what is ours by right. But, She paused, eyes finally locking with Varundev before continuing "I have also seen the strength and nobility in your clan. When we return, I would like to speak with you more with regards to your long-term plans.

"Your Majesty. Agnimitra gave her a deep bow. Devsena, nodded, then turned to Varundev.

"I look forward to our next duel. She flicked away the cloak, watching him steadily as it puddled at her feet.

Varundev blinked, stunned. He could hear Abrook choking behind him, and the other Sabhasad's stifling gasps. Even Agnimitra blinked, looking nonplussed.

Tied loosely around Devsena's waist, outlining the slender curves, was his jeenu. The Dravids stood with furrowed brows, obviously not understanding the gesture the way the Aryans did.

"As you can see, I have armed myself accordingly. Devsena nodded at him, smiling softly and walking away.

"Don't just let her leave. Shivum hissed behind him. "Go after her!

"I can't right now. He murmured back. "I'll ride and catch up as soon as we disperse.

"Varundev. Purohit Agnimitra interjected, "I hope you have not forgotten your primary responsibility as an Aryan- the establishment of Aryavrat.

"I have not, Purohit. Varundev replied, making to move away. "That has remained and shall remain my premier goal.

Loving Devsena is not a goal, Purohit Agnimitra. It is the purpose of my life.

You will never understand.

XXX

"We will stop here for the night. Devsena said, spying the telltale movements in the woods. She had been waiting for Varundev since the Dravid encampment had packed up, and had been watching for signs of his presence.

"I need to be by myself for a little bit. Devsena continued, jumping off the horse and walking towards the woods. "I can take care of myself. Do not follow or my arrows will find you.

"Yes your Majesty. Was the chorus behind her.

Going deeper into the woods, she paused at the stunning vista before her. A lake stood, surrounding by the lush woods. The silence was broken by the sound of footsteps and Devsena closed her eyes as Varundev's breaths stirred her hair.

"You took your time. She breathed.

"Forgive me. He replied breathlessly, slowly putting his hands on her arms, turning her around. Devsena opened her eyes, gazing into that beloved gaze. Varundev took her into his arms, marveling that she was so near him. The feel of her in his arms bought him peace like nothing else had. Strange that the woman who made his blood burn gave him the greatest feeling of contentment.

"I never want to make you wait for me, Devsena.

"And yet have I not been waiting for you all my life Varundev?

"I too have waiting the same length of time Devsena...though nothing may come of this love, though our clans may separate us...I will wait for you. A day, a year, a lifetime. I will wait.

"No. Devsena shook her head, breathing in Varundev's scent. "Why do you speak as if we have already been defeated?

"Devsena, I was the first to confess to you. Having you acknowledge our love is our victory.

"I don't want it to end there, Varundev. Devsena replied impatiently, pulling away from slightly, though her hands remained locked behind his back.

"We have other obligations Devsena. Perhaps in another life...

"I want to be with you in this life. I don't want to give you up without a fight.

"Devsena...

"I want to be with you. Devsena's tone was soft, but the conviction in her voice would be enough to move mountains. "I want to share my life with you. I want to spend long nights with you, wake up with you in my arms. I want to show so many things from my kingdom with you.

"Tell me. Varundev said hungrily, eyes fastened on her form as she titled her head towards him. "Tell me more.

"Have you ever heard the song of the silver birds yonder Varundev? It is the sweetest melody you will ever hear. I want to hear that with you. Devsena breathed, her hands moving from his back, stroking in turn his neck and his hair.

"You Aryans are always in a hurry, always going from one thing to another. You don't savor joy the way it is meant to be savored. We Dravids know there is always time enough for everything. I would make you rest in my arms.

"Rest in your arms for all the time in the world? Varundev said hopelessly. "Don't weave such dreams for me, Devsena.

"It is not a dream. Devsena replied sternly. "Fight for me as fiercely as I will fight for you Varundev. Our world will be filled with tomorrows. You are the one who awakened the lover in me. Will you abandon me now?

"I will abandon my breath before I abandon you.

"Then take my hand. Devsena extended her palm. "Whatever promises we swore to uphold we will. But we will not let our love be the sacrifice.

Varundev grasped the offered hand, pulling her closer to him in the process. "If need be, I will die with you Devsena. Better to die with you then spend a moment alone.

"Let us face this life first Varundev. Let death be only the last option.

"All right. He exhaled, inhaling the scent of her hair. "All right.

She pushed herself on her tones, breathing in his ear "Be mine?

Varundev huffed, laughing softly. "Do not ask for that which is already yours.

"Kiss me. Devsena replied, titling her head.

Varundev lowered his head at the demand. She met him halfway, and their lips touched in a slow, soft kiss where both of them were trembling a little.

They continued for a long time, standing by the side of the lake, exchanging clinging kisses and whispering sweet promises.

Limo thumbnail
Saana, worth every minute of the wait.. Oh My Lovely God.. this is absolutely 100% beautiful love story.. I can imagine each and every scene.

Romantic yet classic!!!!

How am I to find tranquil tonight having read this..I am sure to be dreaming of this love saga. How magnificent a writer you are.

"Laying the jeenu on the bed, Varundev took a last long at Devsena and walked out, heart thudding. Though he did not know it, Devsena's heart was beating in tandem with him."

"Tied loosely around Devsena's waist, outlining the slender curves, was his jeenu. The Dravids stood with furrowed brows, obviously not understanding the gesture the way the Aryans did."

Amazing, amazing...best explicit love declaration...

Do look after your self.. thank you, thank you, thank you...
Edited by Limo - 7 years ago
Limo thumbnail
I have re-read part 4. How I wish Varsenas journey was as depicted in your take. Passion filled story with a depth and range to explore before the last battle.

Abrook and Shivam are the nearest witness to Vs story...its great that V has confidants. On the contrary D is solely on her own. Yet V and D are making their own path...

It's nice to see two brave protagonist, not being shy to express their vulnerabilities and sensitivities, nevertheless very strong and powerful. Perfectly made for each other in all senses.

Thank you for giving V and D time in order for them do the things deeply in love couples do...

Thank you yet again for your time and thoughts in creating such a beautiful chapter..
Edited by Limo - 7 years ago
braveheartdoc thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Wow...lovely writing dear...what an elaborate presentation of the love story we all longed for...definitely deserves a standing ovation for you dearπŸ‘
Its totally worth the wait...loved it to the coreπŸ˜ƒ
gemini54 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
πŸ‘.. Wow Sanaa my girl what was this ?left me speechless such classic writing..wished we could have seen all of this on screen your writing makes it all come alive take a BOW. This certainly was worth the wait.
Tsuyashi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Are we supposed to stay alive after reading this???!!!

Omggg omggg!!
For One thing I want to thank u frm.my heart is u are writing d story in sync with the original one...
It's like we are being shown all the possible plots which could have come...
Love u for this!!
This is brilliant
M off to crying again!!

Candykiss thumbnail
OMFG OMFG
Hey dear m new on forums but equally crazy about the show I saw KN tweet today relating to the official wrap up of the show so this story is like medicine for all of us!!
I don't know how to thank you guys thank u
I am in love with the story
Thank u once again!
Candykiss thumbnail
πŸ‘πŸ‘
I don't have words for their lakeside talking.. Wow!!!!