Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

apolloartemis thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 7 years ago
Thank you to everyone for commenting! For some reason IF isn't allowing me to thank people individually so general thank you post!

This went from being a three shot to a six chapter fic, and I'm going to post part 2 today. I apologize for the mistakes as I am copying and pasting from word! I'll also be putting this up on AO3 for the more explicit scenes that will be occurring in this fic as well as the other one shots I will be writing.
braveheartdoc thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Loved this part of your FF totally...How we all missed DS and VD scenes as their parts ended so soon...but reading and imagining through your writing makes me feel as if I'm watching them in front of my eyes...Mindblowing it was...Loved it...Thanks dear...waiting for the next part😊
apolloartemis thumbnail
Hi Guys,
Below is part 2- this has become a six parter. Next part will be up in a few days and then I'm going to be doing one-shots of Jaldev and Devsena. Lastly, a modern AU. If you want to see anything in particular with JD and DS (interactions with Meklha, Mahisa, destiny kids etc, etc), please comment and let me know. I'm not sure why some "" aren't showing in some places, so forgive that please!

On to Part 2

"Angdev wants your head on a platter. Abrook sighed walking towards Varundev. Shivum tagged behind, watching the surrounding area.

"We had started giving aid to the Dravid injured when he rode up, frothing about how you had taken away the chance to end the war because of sundown. Thankfully Purohit Agnimitra praised your devotion to the Aryan customs, so now Angdev is drinking and stewing.

"We should not aid the Dravids. Varundev murmured back, watching as Devsena walked carefully by the Dravid King, looking even as she was absorbed by the ranks of the soldiers. By their reaction to her, she was an important figure to them. Perhaps a commander...?

"Why not? Abrook's words intruded into his thoughts. Varundev shook his head, bringing himself back to the matter at hand. At his side, Shivum grinned, having followed his friends gaze.

"It's against their customs to accept aid from the enemy.

"So we could disregard our customs to respect theirs? Abrook's face was turning red as he faced Varundev. "You who always trumpet about our customs are saying this?

"No Veer Abrook. Varundev patiently replied. "But it seems that they kill the ones who accept aid. It does no good to aid a man and then watch him be murdered.

"I'll tell the purohits to allow the Dravids to gather their injured without helping them. If nothing else it is a waste of medicine. Shivum piped up. "But to kill for accepting aid? It seems a barbaric practice.

"Yes, Varundev murmured, recalling the fear and sadness in Devsena's eyes as she told him about the death sentence. "I can't imagine all the Dravid's agreeing with it.

"Especially if they are beautiful young woman, huh Varundev. Abrook's tone turned teasing as he also stared at the clump of Dravid soldiers who were moving away. Now Devsena's straight back was visible, slender but beautiful.

"But Varundev He added, voice turning solemn, "even looking is foolish in these circumstances. Turn your eyes to one of our women, beautiful and docile. There is no chance here.

I know that. Varundev thought, finally turning and walking away with his companions. I know there is no chance. But people said there was no chance we would find the Sapt Sindu. People said there was no chance we would survive the trek. People said there was no chance that I would be worthy of Kayast's legacy.

My father never believed in that phrase. Perhaps he was right.

There is nothing that is impossible.

That night Varundev slept and dreamt of Devsena.

XXX

"I told you not to go into battle! I told you not to bear arms! Why do you never heed my commands Devsena?! Do you not realize I do this for your future? For the future of the Dravid Rajya? Hahuma's furious tirade still echoed in her ears. Devsena shook off the attendants who had been tending to her wounds, waving them away. Thamgan and her Mausiamma had also tried to talk to her but she had hurried to her rooms, eager to be away from everyone.

Devsena's focus had been on ensuring her father had received the best care, and after that, her aim had been to sit in her room, get her wounds tended to, and brood over Hahuma's lecture. The first two goals had been achieved. Only the third was left.

And yet it was not Hahuma's voice that followed her as she walked towards her balcony. It was not Hahuma's flashing eyes that filled her vision. Rather, it was that Aryan Varundev's mellow tone that filled her ears. It was his deep eyes that encompassed her as she stood outside, shivering lightly in the cool breeze.

Devsena titled her head back, remembering how the man had called her Devi. What did that mean, in his language? The same as it did in hers? Or was it a subtle insult? Even more horrifying, or so she tried to convince herself, was it a subtle compliment? Or, and Devsena would never admit this, the most horrifying possibility-that it was nothing at all? A term he would use on every woman who crossed his path? A sign of his indifference?

And why does this bother me? Devsena asked herself, irritated at her fickle thoughts. I am the to-be Queen of the great Dravid Rajya. All bow before me. Why should I care what a lowly invader calls me by? I shouldn't!

But all her self-berating, her thoughts betrayed her, going again and again to that man.

Those strong arms. That broad forehead. The sharp nose. Those flowing locks. Those eyes that bore inside her very soul. Devsena hunched over, clutching the balcony support as her mind refused to give her respite.

That mellow voice. That quiet conviction in his tone. The lips from which that voice issued.

"Stop it. Devsena groaned, holding her head, trying to stop the images. "Stop thinking about him!

The speed at which he stopped the arrow...

Devsena's eyes flew open. "The arrow. She gasped, wondering how she could have forgotten for even a moment that someone had shot an arrow at her.

And if the Aryans did not fight after sunset- she believed Varundev, strangely on that, then that meant that the arrow had been shot by a Dravid soldier.

Her face had been uncovered. All Dravid's knew who she was.

Devsena's gritted her teeth and stared into the distance.

"Traitors!

XXX

"And what makes you think it was a Dravid soldier who shot at you? Hahuma asked coolly, anger still visible on her face. Her father stood at Devsena's side, grimacing in pain. Her Mausiamma was not at the meeting, and Devsena wondered at her exclusion.

"She is overseeing the execution of those few Dravid soliders who were given Aryan aid. Hahuma answered her unspoken thoughts. "Thankfully the Aryans stopped their aid in a short while. Almost as if someone And here Hahuma's tone turned withering, "had told them about our customs.

"I do not regret my words when they gave my solders life Hahuma. Devsena replied, striving to keep her tone humble and not irritated. Strange that her conversation with Varundev had gained so much importance! Stranger still, the flush of pleasure that curled within her when she realized that Varundev had heeded her advice!

"You should not have been there to exchange words Devsena!

"I saved my father, Pujye Hahuma. Mahishi Devi gave me an indication and I followed her command. Whether I raised my sword or my Pooja plate, I do not think it matters to her.

"Do you think you interpret the words and wishes of the Goddess better than I do Devsena?

"No Hahuma. Devsena backtracked. "I simply meant that I...

"What persuaded you to fight Devsena?

"Hahuma...

"Please tell the truth, beti. Her father's voice was weak, a tone it should have never been. How would Devsena have felt if she had never heard him again? No, her decision had been the right one to take. But Ayurvidhan was right. Devsena owned her father and Hahuma the truth.

"Thamgan did. She confessed. Her father started, exchanging a quiet glance with Hahuma that left Devsena nonplussed. What was that glance about?

"Thamgan?

"Yes. She made the salient point that my father had always had me besides him in battle. And Hahuma as Bhavi Rani it was my duty to be there for my soldiers. To fight besides them. I have seen the enemy now Hahuma. I know what they can do. I understand now, in a way I didn't before your and Appa's fears. Going to battle was the right decision!

"Thamgan told you to go into battle. Dayalini and she stayed in the back despite knowing that the Bhavi Rani was in the frontlines. And now you tell me that someone shot at you, and you insist it wasn't an Aryan.

"Varundev said...

"Who is Varundev? Hahuma interrupted

"The yodha who was fighting me. Her father replied. "He seems to be a premier warrior among them.

"And why do you believe him?

I just do would not be a good answer, Devsena knew. And yet, for a brief, mad moment, she had wanted to say it.

"He stopped fighting when the sun set, despite one of his compatriots telling him to kill Appa. He knew Appa was king, but he respected his customs. Such a man...such a man would not lie.

"You seem to know well the character of an enemy you have just met. Hahuma's voice was expressionless as she said this.

I feel like I have known him for forever, even though it was only a moment. Everything in me cries out when I think about him. When he was in front of me, everything faded away.

Devsena lowered her eyes, unable to answer, unwilling to say what was on her mind. Silence reigned in the stone chamber, before Hahuma signed.

"It would seem that in addition to external forces, we have internal forces weakening us. In light of this and the losses we have taken, another battle so soon seems unwise. Hahuma tilted her head, the snakes hissing as she moved. "In light of this, I say we propose a truce to the Aryans, and work on consolidating our power in court. We will root out these traitors and then turn our combined might and crush the Aryan host.

"How will they agree to a truce? Ayurvidhan asked, wincing as he shifted. Devsena walked towards him, supporting him as he stood.

"They have also been bloodied. Hahuma replied. "I imagine they will also wish for time while their reinforcements come.

"And we need time for ours as well to come from the South.

"It is decided then. We shall send emissaries tomorrow to petition for a truce, and perhaps start an exchange. This will lure them into compliance and give us time to clean house.

"I will go as Bhavi Rani. Devsena declared, and the stubborn set of her mouth persuaded Hahuma not to raise her objections. "Appa is too weak, and Mausiamma has to take care of this internal inquiry. I will go to the Aryans.

You aunt if the person under suspicion Hahuma thought, meeting Ayurvidhan's eyes. Thamgan is her creature. Oh Devsena, why must you be so innocent and so stubborn? Did you have to inherit these traits from your mother? You mother who loved an Aryan. What does it mean that you are so willing to trust one? Will Chamundi's prediction come true after all? No. I must do all I can to prevent it. The future depends on it.

XXX

"Arya Veers Purohit Agnimitra announced, walking into the tent. The falling flap showed two women holding a Dravid shield in front of their bodies. "The Dravid contingent has sent us a message. Please attend so we may receive it.

Varundev walked out, making sure to keep some distance from Angdev. The man was still sore as a bear with a head cold about Varundev's decision, despite it being backed up by the Purohit and the other Sabhasads. It saddened Varundev how much the long trek had worn away at their resolve and traditions, and made him even more determined that they would settle here, on the Sapt Sindu.

A vision of Devsena's flashing eyes stopped him in his tracks. Varundev knew he would fight her if it came down to it. But he did not know if he would win. He did not know if he wanted to win.

How can one woman, who met only for a brief moment, weaken my resolve so much?

"This message is a message of respect, not a message of fear. The Dravid emissary stated, beginning the visit.

Agnimitra nodded "Understood, and please accept our respects as well. The woman bowed lightly in response.

"Seeing the tattered state of both armies, our Bhavi Rani, Reining King, and Pujye Hahuma have proposed a thirty day truce. For the betterment of both peoples and to see if there is an alternative to fighting, we ask for talks between our two people to begin.

"Give us some time to confer among ourselves. Agnimitra responded, sharp eyes not missing the sudden fidgeting of the sabhasars. "Please avail yourselves to our hospitality while we work on our response.

The women nodded, following the guards to a resting tent.

"It's a trap. Abrook stated as soon as the messengers were out of view. "They want time for their reinforcements from the South to come.

"We need time for our reinforcements as well. Varundev replied. "Our other armies are making their way to the Sapt Sindhu but it will take them around that time to reach.

"Don't forget with those armies comes our medicine. We don't know the plants around here, we can't use them. Kaldev said, bread bristling and he spoke. "We are running low- we have a lot of injured soldiers.

"And they have more able bodies than we do. Vayudev added. "Their women fight- they have more soldiers to begin with.

"Surely we have seen that they cannot match our valor. Angdev said gruffly. "How many fell beneath our blades!

"And how many fell beneath theirs? Varundev shot back. "They may not match us in arms skills but they are clever and have good strategy, however we may deplore it.

"Our men are finding it hard to fight women. Abrook's tone was introspective. "We cannot sustain a loss of men such as we had with this battle. We won't have the men needed to plow the fields then.

"Abrook is right. Varundev said in support. "We need men not only to win, but to settle. Do you want to live in a nation of widows and children?

"More than that. Agnimitra finally spoke. "We cannot have the disgrace of being beaten by women etched into our history. Better we wait for our reinforcements and see where to go from there.

"Agreed. "Agreed. "Varundev and Abrook speak sense. The Sabhasad's murmurs blended together in agreement. Agnimitra nodded to Varundev, a pleased smile lighting his craggy features.

"Bring the women back. He ordered the guards. Soon the messengers stood in front of the council.

"We accept your proposition. When shall be begin talks? One of the woman smirked, lowering the shield and bringing up what looked like a stick.

"Now. She replied, tossing it in the air after cracking it. It flared for a brief moment, and then movement began from the other side.

All of the Sabhasads hand's went to their swords and the other messenger stepped forward.

"We are emissaries of respect, not fear. She reminded them.

"Our queen is merely impatient. The other one murmured under her breath, though Varundev got the impression that the Sabhasads were meant to hear the words spoken.

All thought fled when he saw the figure riding at the front of the procession. Eyes flashing as they had when he first saw her, riding with a proud mien, was Devsena.

And on her head lay the Dravid crown.

apolloartemis thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sonia_prc

OOOMMMGGG!!!!

Aaa thank u thank u thank u thank u !!!
😭
This is so amazing!
V n D ...devsena doing things with VD that we wanted to see her doing...
Their meet! Electrifying
I don't want to.lose varundev n devsena
God wish we could see all this on screen! Why God why!
Please post this to rdx n KN they ll b so glad reading this n will know more about the way we have gone gaga over them!

Thank you! I know you've been upset these past few days so I hoped this made you feel better! I'm actually going to be traveling starting tomorrow for a few days so I won't be able to post this to twitter. If you want to do so please feel free. I've also added an AO3 link on the front page if you want to tweet that to them instead- the formatting is better.
shinesss thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Again part 2 was awesome!!! I felt like watching Varundeb n Debsena again. Loved it.
Next chapter will be their formal meet...So so so excited.
Thank you so so much... ❀️❀️
No idea if strangers wish work or not, but still, I wish you get all the peace n happiness in your life.
Waiting for the next one... 😊
Limo thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I am stunned with your writing... you are gifted with your words and imagination... thank you for the part 2 of your fanfic...I am your huge fan..

I need to put your story into motion... how good you are!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you
mistofshadows thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5
This is fabulous. Waiting for the next.
gemini54 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Simply stupendous writingπŸ‘..you inspire me with your writing to maybe foray into fiction writing too.cant wait to read the other parts
braveheartdoc thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Part 2 was great...much like what we saw in the show πŸ‘
VD and DS thoughts have been aptly penned down by you...loved it...thanks 😊

Just one request...please update the title whenever you post the next part so that we know that you've updated your thread...
Thanks 😊
bluecool thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Wow superb writing!!! πŸ‘
Please do continue...