The Ratings dilemma- and why it might not be as bad as we fear

apolloartemis thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 7 years ago
Hi everyone! So this post is to dicusss ratings and what effect they may be having on Aarambh. It's not fully a topic to discuss how the makers can increase ratings but I am writing it in hopes it will increase forum activity as well.

So Aarambh has almost been running for two months, and the ratings, frankly have sucked. Something even the producer of the show acknowledged. And yet in the news we haven't really heard of any discussions with SP management, and ominous hints of the future of the show (which is both lowering and ramping up my anxiety). The show that Aarambh replaced Koi Laut Ke Aaya hai had a beginning TRO of 1.5 before it tapered down to .8-.9, and it was cancelled in 4 months. In the beginning Aarambh's producer noted that they were aware of the weekend slot issues but were hopeful that the show would pick up on rating s- as of last week Aarambh has been hovering between .6 and .5 for the past month.

Now that we have finished the back ground I want to lay down my thought process and you veteran TV viewers can weigh in!

First based on the Rajneesh interview I read, the shows shooting wraps up this October, which means the majority of the episodes have been shot. Every article I read says that the show is 65 episodes long, which means they have 47 episodes worth of story to tell- roughly 6 months more. Now both Star Plus and the production house have sunk a LOT of money into this project- I don't know how much has been SP and how much has been the production house. KLKAH was a low budget production which shot on a weeke to week basis- wrapping up the story was therefore possible. It will not be possible for Aarambh as the episodes have already been shot in a sequence- there is no diverting the story line now.

The second thing is what drives ratings? Ads and Sponsers. Again KLKAH did not have huge sponsers behind it. Aarambh has Pitanjali, a massive enterprise as its sponsee and I have not read of it pulling out of the venture (actually with Aarambh's pro Hindu/Vedic beginnings I can see why it would appeal to Pitanjali so much). So right now, Aarambh has prime sponsers backing it. Besides the clout of Goldie Behl (I'm actually not sure how much clout he has so let's assume minimal), Aarambh has Bahubali's writer attached to it. Even forgetting the fact that Mr Prasad is The writer of one of the MOST successful films on India, he is also the father of the director of those films- he carries with him his son's clout as well. In addition to the this the star power is considerable. This is all soft and hard power coming together against the ratings system of Star Plus- in addition to the fact that the majority of episodes have already been shot.

Is it possible that if the show continues not to perform well that instead of cancelling a venture into which they have already sunk a lot of money (sunk cost principe from Economics), that Star Plus will shift the time of the show? Or if that does not work, release the remaining episodes on Hotstar? The shows views are increasing there as evidenced by the fact that Hotstar has now started running ads in episodes. And actually, depending on distribution rights can the show move to another channel?

Opinions guys? I would like to think that this is a fairly optimistic post despite everything because I do love this show and I want to see it finished. Please do comment and reply as the forum needs more activity.

P.S: I believe the reason that there are no segments being shown is that the shooting is wrapping up and they don't want any spoilers leaking out. As for the articles that state so and so person is joining I believe those people have already done their shooting and were under clauses not to talk about it- now that their roles are coming up they can give interviews.

Whatever happens I wish all the cast and especially the leads be best- I would love to see Karthika and Rajneesh together in some other venture- they are an amazing Jodi!
Edited by apolloartemis - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

apolloartemis thumbnail
Edited topic as I fear it was too depressing for readers :).
braveheartdoc thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for this post 😊

You are absolutely right...SP runs totally based on TRPs...that's why KLKAH was prematurely wrapped up...despite the fact it was one of the best thriller shows on Indian TV...
Aarambh had been launched with a lot of grandeur...but still this type of show is meant for particular group of people and not masses...so henceforth low TRPs

With SP you never know...I just wish we get to see the planned number of episodes. ..as you said KLKAH had reduced number of episodes and they managed it really well in the end...but with a show like Aarambh we never can expect to compensate for a loss of episodes

Keeping fingers crossed 😊
Edited by braveheartdoc - 7 years ago
apolloartemis thumbnail

Originally posted by: braveheartdoc

Thanks for this post 😊

You are absolutely right...SP runs totally based on TRPs...that's why KLKAH was prematurely wrapped up...despite the fact it was one of the best thriller shows on Indian TV...
Aarambh had been launched with a lot of grandeur...but still this type of show is meant for particular group of people and not masses...so henceforth low TRPs

With SP you never know...I just wish we get to see the planned number of episodes. ..as you said KLKAH had reduced number of episodes and they managed it really well in the end...but with a show like Aarambh we never can expect to compensate for a loss of episodes

Keeping fingers crossed 😊

Thank you for reading and replying! I think KLKAH had the bad luck of low TRP's and the fact that Star Plus wanted Aarambh to start as the majority of filming was done. And you are right- even the creators acknowledged that Aarambh was not something g that was written with mass appeal- it was an experiment to see if it would be something that could be successful.

With KLKAH they shot on a week by week basis so it was fine for Star Plus to cancel as it could be wrapped up- with Aarambh the wrap up isn't possible- which is why I wonder if the ratings stay stagnant they will just move it to a non prime time spot to ensure that there isn't total loss on investment. With a low budget show cancellation is much less painful cause you don't lose as much/any money. With Aarambh the fact that money has already been sunk in Plus that fact that it has good sponsorship means that it would hurt Star Plus a lot more to just cancel- so my hope is a slot change if it comes down to it! We only need six months :).

Fingers and toes crossed here as well!
Ohms thumbnail
Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thank you for posting this, l have been a silent reader. Your post has raised several valid points. I hope SP will not let trp trap to spoil such a brilliant show. After a long time I feel l can relish a show and hope this show continues its full journey as intended.
This is a time based show, like some of the good series - kismat on Sony, and several international shows which are extremely time based. The viewing rates are important. Indian calculation of trps are not accurate of the countries or international viewing. I hope SP is sensible and not give into the trp race.

Sometimes the international shows come up with multiple seasons if the viewing rates are good, but the calculation here is accurate and depends on the live viewing of the show. I hope India can use the same as well.

Occasionally a channel decides not take into account the trp of a show, I hope this is the case with Aarambh.

Swetha-Sai thumbnail
@TM
Thanks for this post!

I hope what ever u have told comes true..
Iwill be 😡 with SP if they try to cut short the episodes of this show!

Let's see if the CVs & SP will shift the show online like Badtameez Dil instead of cutting it short due to lack of TRPs..
Limo thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Saana, I take the liberty of calling you by your name. My name is Monica...

Thank you for giving a positive spin on the low trp situation; in my view Aarambh is like a classic that requires an acquired taste, for people who are dreamers and willing to spend time on Saturday and Sunday in front of the TV screen. It is not for people who have collective thinking rather it is for a person who is willing to be challenged about the general prototypical protagonist and antagonist.. hence very different to anything seen on Indian TV so far...Human psychology states that changing attitude requires a whole generation.. or many generations., hence the audience accepting such change will take a long/long time..which is adequately reflected by the low trp...

I am hopeful that we will get to see the 100th episode of Aarambh on Star Plus..because of the unique concept and the amalgamation of brilliant brains together to put forth this amazing production..also the fact that each cast of the enormous ensemble have given their best... every single person be it a background actor or the forerunners have contributed towards the story progression.. hence, I pray that Aarambh is showcased despite the current trp trends.

You are absolutely right about the big sponsorship for the show and the fact a lot has already been filmed...hence I am with you on the positivity curve...

My best wishes to the aarambh team and family that we see many more episodes and have hearty discussions both day and night..Power to Aarambh..

Swetha-Sai thumbnail
Last few days left of Aarambh shoot - RDX
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYGh7OLA0Eb/
Tsuyashi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Check Rajniesh insta post
He said finale coming soon
Idk m shattered
Is this gonna wind-up before 65 episodes!?

apolloartemis thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sonia_prc

Check Rajniesh insta post

He said finale coming soon
Idk m shattered
Is this gonna wind-up before 65 episodes!?

Um actually what I read from that was that the aarambh shoot was wrapping up which makes sense as the actors have been filming since last October and the pre production has been going on for about a year? I mean, I could be wrong, but unless we get confirmation that the show is done I wouldn't freak out?