Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_Payalj_ thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
What went wrong with aarambh-simple it's characterisation of women. We are used to loving Durga, Gauri, Kaali and Lakshmi not Shoorpnakhas.
We Indians don't appreciate grey females. This is seeped in our brains over a period of centuries and is not going to change overnight.

When the show was being made for profits and not for creative satisfaction, then these issues should have been duly considered. You don't show women going around in bikini in a show to be aired in Afghanistan.

Even if they wanted to show a matriarchal society what was the need to make it so cruel and the women unappealing? They made the women the exact opposite of the male rulers. If they didn't have the wherewithal to endure losses and rejection they should have designed their women characters taking into consideration the audience Psyche.

Don't make them mahaan but how about letting them stay feminine?
BabyHimavari thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Arambh is no doubt one of the shinning stars in the old regressive ITV show even with its flaws... True to say some incredible things in both post leap and pre leap made me fascinated but there were points of disappointment as well in both cases...
To my concern I feel this one could have been one of the reason that the pace of story is too much fast from the beginning... the characters should have been given a little more time to be developed.. I am not even in favor of two much slow pace but the moderate pace... I would have loved if season one would have extended for little more eps.. then there would have been a strong base of season 2 and jalsena also... and i would agree to the point that the pace looked so much disjoint at some places... specially the show was promoted as Aryan-Dravidian war story but all of a sudden the include of this destiny child track made me totally disconnected for a while... I had set my mind to see the enmity between two powerful clans and an intense love story forming among the fire lines.. but as the season 2 started i have to totally set my mind for some other things cause its not going to be the one i guessed... though getting unexpected things surprises you at most of times but sometimes it disappoints you nd I would say that I was a lil bit disappointed after knowing abt the leap thing and reincarnation track and it looked out of the blue suddenly cause the show was promoted with the concept of rivalry... not as the love story of star crossed lover... however I buckled up for new season cause there was least to complain.. the show still had so many exciting things to catch for... specially the chemistry btwn leads...❤️❤️RD ad KN makes one of the hell passionate onscreen couple ❤️❤️

I would like to point out a really awsome point made by TM which is the ancient time skype and door darshan system..😆😆... which also made me say "what the!!" at times... following by these I just want to say that the over use of black magics, powers had suddenly increased after season 2... well they are not in overdose though like the famous trp toppers...😆😆 ... but it somehow makes me wonder if they are doing this for trp sake... though arambh is mostly fiction based on some historical events I wanted it to be at least free of mumbo jumbos... specially the coin toss decision of aryavart and dravidam literally made me roll my eyes... I had expected a bit more intelligent script there from the makers,.. the future of the country was decided by a coin, black magic and some Makhiiss... Make me loll whenever i think...😆😆

Many people are drawing the point that the grey female character might be the reason for low ratings... Indian audience are not in comfort with grey heroines specially... I would say somehow the makers are also somehow a lil bit responsible for that because they are unable to portray the grey characters properly now days... Grey character say it male and female are absolutely attractive if they are properly characterized... I have some collection of classic historical fictions which beholds so many fictious grey heroines of old times... they are expert in weaponry as well as full of wit and intelligence.. and you would actually fall in love with those characters with each line rather than feeling dejected at any point... I mostly feel like that Indian audience thrives on emotion and they are unable to connect with any character unless they were connected in emotional levels... more than the courage, ambition and wit of any character it is his/her inner turmoils and thought process which draw the audience and makes them glue to any character... and that's the thing which also made me connected to those grey heroines of my one of the fav author cause he bared the heart of those female characters in his writing... and I guess that's one of the reason of the audience getting connected more with VD (pre leap) than DS... makers were so good while revealing the inner emotions of VD while I really feel that we hardly had any moments or time to explore devsena's inner mind... We got familiar with her valor her courage, her wittiness also a lil bit (when she made aryan people agree to her condition and let her choose her opponent in war) but when it came to dip into her inner soul there was not such any moment... adding this lil bit i felt her characters would have made fascinating as per my believe... Be it grey shaded character or any one, audience need to feel emotional connection with them otherwise even the glycerin factory heroine or Adarshwadi bhasan giving heroines couldn't bring trps and i have so many examples of that in hand too...

Well thats my two cents on the show... I am not intended to anyhow bash the characters or serial cause I am a regular viewer also and absolutely love the show with its excellence and flaws...😳😳
@TM great post BTW..👏👏... Ur Skype and Doordarshan point was highlight for me..🤣🤣
glitter5 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Love your post
Hahuma -Devsena conversation is getting tedious to watch.
Doordharshan 😆
Padmavija -mirror story felt like bleh.
Edited by glitter5 - 7 years ago
Morana thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Post -leap-
The story telling strategy changed completely . Instead of making the characters out in the open with their ambitions , plans and motivations , they opted for the web knitting style , where , one episode will present in front of us many questions or mysteries and in the next episode some of it will get solved , some new questions will prop up and some questions will become even more convoluted .
They also introduced black magic and double roles , and a powerful female villain in the form of Padmabhija/ Sambhabhija .
But what I didn't like is that they were almost in a rush to make JD reach Dravidgam and meet DS , and it all happened before we could connect and understand or relate to the characters post-reincarnation as individuals. Like some one said here already , pre leap we'd time to associate with characters before their first face off , therefore the impact was greater ! 👏
I'd have loved had they shown Jaldev's training under his mentor Indramitra as well as Devasena growing up to be a warrior , side by side and in some detail , before bringing them together. This time when they came face to face , I didn't feel that connection at all. Yes , it was a hot and beautiful scene becoz of RD-KN chemistry , that's all !
As many already pointed out , post-leap at many places story telling looked a bit disjointed and it gets difficult to say where characters stand from emotional point of view.

For e.g., Silamban - how does he feel about his wife and daughters ? Does he still miss Siala and pine to reunite with her ?? If that's the case what's the need to kidnap him ?? Why not ask Mahisha to confide in him , join hands and help him reach Siala's kingdom , instead of carrying him like a sack of potatoes ?

Mekhla- one day we see him cornering JD and literally throwing herself at him and for the next two days she totally backs off and doesn't even care to visit him even after he narrowly escaped death !! 😕 She thanked DS for saving JD's life but she isn't angry at her for shooting him , that too from the back !! 😕
Mahisha - When he was introduced he was totally robotic and expressionless , from there his character grew flesh and blood and became more interesting. But still, it was not shown how he underwent change of heart.. Once again mad rush.

DS - A bundle of confusion. I've given up trying to understand her. She's a confused soul and will remain as such ,, so I'm gonna spare myself the headache. Plus absolutely no change in her from DS part 1.0 , which is such a disappointment . What's even the point of reincarnation if viewers are not given new characteristics to enjoy and actress being given chance to try out different things.
She even continues to be Hahuma's puppet , 200 years passed and nothing changed !

JD- Started as a very fresh character , since he was much more playful and colorful a character n so different from JD . Yet , right now his character is also another confused soul who keeps saying.. " I'll kill the princess. " but till now haven't yet attempted even once to kill her or plan any thing towards that , except that poisoning the flower in the beginning.
Either realise that you can't do it and therefore focus on the other important mission at hand - keep the locket below the throne , or else try seriously to do the job at hand.
Yeah yeah , tussle between love and duty , heart and mind , we get that. But it gets boring and stale after a point.🥱
At this point , Mahisha is the best character amongst the 3 of them ! 😃 At least he knows clearly what he wants and he's determined to get that. 😉

Many other things didn't go down well with me- Princess dancing with her freaking body guard ! 😕 Princess hugging her fiance in front of a body guard ! Queen dancing with her would be son-in-law ! 🤢 Just the kind of things that won't go down well with common viewers. Ratings to bhul hi jao !
Too many plot points opened up and they're being handled at the same time , but as a result , the story telling is jumbled up .
Cleaner , more detailed story telling , proper ending of scenes , a clear idea about the characters and their traits and motivations need to be shown.
More display of compassion is needed - by both leads.
Amarendra Bahubali became a legend not because of his warrior skills or physical power , even Bhallaldev had it almost equally , what set him apart and made him a God for the people is his fountain of compassion , kindness , his dazzling humanity.
No need to establish the leads as bad ass warriors , or passionate lovers. First establish them as proper human beings with emotions , insecurities , fear , hope , joy , childishness etc..

Edited by Lady_Macbeth - 7 years ago
candy02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
An insane day and I am late to join the party !!! Though I have got complaints, but I will rather admit that I am relatively okay with what is being served, considering the earlier traumatic crapfests I was being forced to swallow in the absence of better choices. All my rants are related to the post-leap story; which, on a few occasions, is seemingly disjoint, devoid of fluidity.

First and foremost I had the misconception that it is a historical fiction. But, I got a literal shock when I had noticed that colourful archaeopteryx messenger. Then appearances of destiny's children with special powers, Sambhavija being trapped in a mirror, Indramitra keeping a watch on Jaldev using I-don't-know-what. Although disappointed, but I may ignore the display of magic during the coin tossing ceremony (which was itself absolutely illogical), assuming that the respective spiritual leaders had got supernatural powers. In a nut shell, I will rather say that the makers should have been consistent regarding the genre of the fiction they are depicting. Starting with a historical one they suddenly changed their direction towards fantasy.

Next disappointment has been Hahuma's character. She lost her humanity when she had ordered the mass murder of infants/pregnant ladies. A grotesque sin, whatever might be her reasoning. Apart from that, I can understand her monochromatic ideology i.e. a strong Dravidian kingdom. But off late, even being the supreme power she is unable decode Padmavija's deception !!! Doesn't that imply that Tantrik/PD jodi is more powerful than her !! Or she is silent on purpose !!! Whatever might be the reason, this is not doing any good to this character...

Coming to VD ver2.0. A confused soul indeed !!! Apparently he wants to kill the would-be-empress of his staunch enemies without any proper plan !!! Only chanting "My aim is to kill the Princess" won't magically do the job !!! Him sending the gardener to Mekhla -despicable !!

Mahisha suddenly has become enamored with the Princess. An episode back, his only mission was to kidnap Silamban, while apparently being unhappy owing to him causing harm to Devsena !!! Now he wants to rule the D-clan !!! A sudden 180 degrees turn in stance in no time !! More so since apparently he is a product of a matriarchal society.

I am unable to understand Silamban. Apart from trying desperately to remain the only consort of the empress, he is not much contributing to any other agenda.

Till now, I am liking Padmavija as the antagonist, thanks to Madhoo's awesome portrayal...

Devsena, a princess dancing in the court with an apparent commoner on the occasion of her engagement !!! Though an absolutely shameful act, but I can somehow ignore her embracing Mahisha in front of an apparent royal servant, owing to her conviction of searching for the literal fire-man. Her applying medicine to JD, what was the need !!!

Till now, I am unable to find any sort of soul-to-soul connection, which was effortlessly present from the very first moment in the previous incarnation. I guess the effect of "go slow" policy.

Last but not the least, the extreme negative portrayal of the D-clan !! I can definitely understand that whether patriarchal or matriarchal, power corrupts and I don't expect a humanitarian society 5000 years back when we could not achieve that in 21st century. But the cruelty could definitely have been subdued. The counter argument might be that 5000 years back, when neighboring kingdoms were ever ready to pounce on each other on the slightest or no pretext; the morale, the value system, the beliefs, the rituals, the punishments, the the conducts can't expected to be straight-forward & existing on a high ground instead the standard must have been "survival of the fittest" in a very primitively primal way/sense...
Edited by chandrima02 - 7 years ago
Limo thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This topic has given rise to several discussions. I am pleased with all the points made, it show the passion of the individual person contributing to this discussion and ultimately to their interest in the show - Aarambh.

I have notice a constant theme in most of the posts; most of us agree that this show is a league apart, despite all the drawbacks.

To err is human. I am pleased that the show has flawed characters, hence relatable. Also it is fictional show with historical namesakes, hence, it is confusing for viewers, however, if we keep the historical context out of the equation, the vision of the story teller is yet to be revealed completely. I believe the current episodes are the base of the pyramid and we have to be patient to see the apex, when it is unraveled. I believe each character sketch adds value to the story.

It is my opinion that time is used either sparely or it is stretched depending on the part of the story telling. What appeals to me is that I can still follow the writers vision.

At the moment I am enjoying the storyline/telling and I am hopeful that we will have many more discussions about our likes and dislikes. I believe conflicting view are necessary for healthy debates. Hopefully from conflict arises resolution.

Aarambh is the aarambh of new realms.

clarity thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Great discussion, guys. Loved reading what you all have to say.

Don't know if the show deserves it, but we certainly expect great things, don't we? 😆

Regarding the rebranding of the show, I am confused as to what they are trying to achieve. I understand the decision to rebrand it as Kahani Devsena Ki to lure the TRAP aunties, but they have changed the title on hotstar yet do not promote it much on TV. 😕 How do they intend for the audience to get to know?

They should also start airing the promo for the week by Tuesday or Wednesday max. They should promote it aggressively so people know what is happening. Aarambh is not a weekday show so people will not get to know about it while surfing channels during the week.

Waiting for this week's episodes and our beloved JalSena's interactions. They are the heart of the show. 😳

SStephy thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I'm not liking the excessive black magic angle post-leap. Pre-leap too had some amount of reliance on supernatural stuff like Hahuma's foretelling, etc but things were limited to Hahuma and maybe the Aryan priest to some extent. The rest were all normal people. But post-leap, things have gotten too much with dead Hahuma being able to come back at will, the current Indramita being able to see what Jaldev is upto at will, the Sambhavija-Padmavija black magic/mirror angle and the new guy who can take any form he wants.

Other than that I don't mind the characterizations or the overall plot. Padmavija as the evil queen, Devsena as the princess having to take hard decisions, Jalsena who is torn between his duty of having to kill the princess but something inside him restricting him. Even the destiny kids angle and Mahisha's ulterior motives are all intriguing.
NidhaA thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I think the reason for the outrageous potrayed of the Dravidian society is to set stage for a better Kingdom under JalSena. But yes they have gone wrong in many places with DS's character. There needs to be more reflection on her part. She should be shown contemplating on the vices of her people and Hahuma's single tracked quest towards conquering the Aryan's.

Originally posted by: Lady_Macbeth

Actually , a lot can be said what went wrong with Aarambh ratings wise..

I'll start by saying , with it's very many flaws , at the end of the day , Aarambh is still an awesome show and I salute the makers for trying some thing new and huge in ITV , which is so boring nowadays , not a single good show to watch on any channel , in spite of so many channels and so many shows.
It;s like water water every where not a drop to drink.
It's always better to try some thing great and fail at it , than not even trying or worse , doing the same old ghissa pita stuffs over and over again.
Since I see many differences in how the show is being handled pre vs. post leap, I'll talk about them separately .
Pre leap-
My main grouse came under four broad headings.

1. Portrayal of Dravid society . They shouldn't have shown Matriarchy to begin with. It was innovative , but it's totally inaccurate , because there wasn't even monarchy in Indu valley civilization .

Plus , it's too foreign a concept for Indian viewers , India is practically steeped in Patriarchal culture , beliefs and thought processes . Yes , it should be changed and entertainment media could and should play a role in it, but they should attempt for a gentle nudging towards change instead of electric shock treatment . I instantly knew Indian viewers will reject this concept of Women >> men in any society. It's just too much too soon for them.
And on top of that , put that kind of dialog on the mouth of the FL !! That's what I call delusion in ambition.
You can;t promote Black people are >>>> than white counter parts in USA and expect people to accept that kind of content , no matter how innovative it is.

And that's wrong too ! No person is superior or inferior than any other person by virtue of any traits they get from birth , like , caste , creed , religion, gender , looks , color etc.
What they could've shown instead is that woman are considered rightful equals to male counter parts in all fields , including the throne , where the prince and princess are given equal chance to ascend the throne by virtue of their merits and qualities.
NOW , that would've been a fresh and acceptable for viewers concept !

And immediately would've shown Dravid society at better lights than the outright Patriarchal society of Aryans and keep the opening to show that how Aryans saw and felt the flaws in their old ways and their society changed as a result of influence from Dravid cultures. Huge mistake from story telling point of view and huge loss of potential right there.

2. Too much cruelty in Dravid side , almost bordering on inhuman and barbaric .
The Indu valley civilization are well famed for it's rich culture , yet the makers here presented them as those of Kalkeyas or Pindaris from Bahubali , with rules like no mercy to or from the enemy ( mercy is the biggest of human qualities ) , daughter has to kill father, loyal soldiers made to take walk of shame and killed off brutally for being alive with enemy's mercy ... and so on ! 🤢

3. The character of DS - I can practically write a huge article on how flawed her character was in compared to an exceptionally , brilliantly written Varundev. But I won't do that. I'll mention just a few bullet points. Already this reply is over lengthy !

a. Some cringe worthy dialogs at times . I mentioned one above.

b. Instead of seeing the flaws in their law system and taking a mental vow to change it slowly after gaining power , she blamed Varundev for the death of her father and vowed to kill her - a result of totally biased and truncated though process .

A protagonist is called a protagonist for a reason , if she's puppet of Hahuma and a helpless carrier of old rotten rules , then how come she's the protagonist ??

c. She lacked the courage and honesty to accept her own feelings , her love for Varundev . She was as affected by him and fell for him as strong as he fell for her , but it was VD who'd the courage and honesty to make the confusions clear and urging her to take a stand for their love.
I understand she was struck with her duties , but she'd already betrayed it by falling for him , so why not try for a peace treaty ?? She was the queen of her clan , she was in a better position of power in regards to her people , than Varundev , who was just one of 12 consisting their senate.

d. They should've given her more dialogs highlighting her compassion , her urge to bring greater good for her people , her determination to make a cleaner better society , a wish to outgrow Hahuma's influence etc.. Instead they just focused on her warrior side , which , instead of making her a strong female , made her look like a bloodthirsty wench.
Powerful woman should be a fine blend of silk and steel .
Her mother Chamundi's character was far better , she was so gentle , well spoken , open minded , took a stand for her love by herself ( though I wish she didn't suicide , nope ! ) and not so impulsive.

4 . In the Aryan side , I've little to complain except that I wanted to see Varundev's mother.
Plus , I wanted to see more of Aryan women and how their lives are in a patriarchal society.
Pre leap my fav scenes were that of leads with their respective fathers, since it highlighted their human sides .

I loved DS the most when she prayed for the safe return of her father , and went to the tent of the soldiers to taste their foods.

ddsoaps thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

Been on holiday so could not post earlier. Very interesting discussion here, liking it.

My POV. Firstly I am not a purist nor a history buff so on that count, I am good with whatever is being shown. Watch the show for its unique content and characterization and of course the very good looking leads. Karthika and RDX are absolutely gorgeous looking.

My main grouse though is that the show is just twice a week and it's too little a time to show so much of revelation of characters and story. Every weekend it is expect the unexpected. This makes a TRP viewer (who is so used to daily soaps of dragfest content) that he or she will not be able to relate and connect with the characters. And this could be one of the reasons it's not clicking with a TRP viewer.

Also due to just 2 day/week of episodes, it becomes difficult for the PH to create a build up to a character or situation. For eg. in just one episode we learn of Jaldev, no build to his character. That is when he leaves on his mission, no interaction with his mother or father. Also, how he came to be the able one or chosen Arayavat wasn't shown after leap. In just one episode we learn of the twins Padmavija etc. Then in just one episode, the black magic and creation of this face-shifter and probably many more situations etc.

I wish the show was for more than 3 to 4 days per week for 40 minutes, which would allow the PH to build up the characters and the storyline and yeah we could see more and more of JalSena.😉