CVs, do better with Devasena

Morana thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 7 years ago
This week's episodes being done with , a few things are churning in mind and I just want to share them with all.
there couldn't be two views about it that the Dravids are shown as absolute barbarians, so much so that I can completely understand and approve of their civilization getting destroyed and their systems and rules replaced by Aryans.
Arvans are so far shown much more honorable, noble and their rules make sense.
My worry and disappointment are about Devasena, whom initially I adored as much as Varundev and was eager for her journey as much as Varundev's and their love story.
I don't really blame Devasena for killing her father. She did for her father what Severous Snape did for Dumbledore, gave him an honorable kingly death at the hand of a loved one , that too at a great personal cost to her own soul. It broke her inside but that didn't stop her from doing what's right. She did try to oppose it but then she realised that it'll be futile since Hahuma has the last world in their Kingdom and she's in favor of this inhuman, meaningless and barbaric rules.
Propagating such rules is however not the sign of a great queen. She now should focus slowly on bringing about some much needed changes. Their civilization, full of luxury and wealth, is far far behind the vagabond nomad Arvans. It's decaying from inside and what sets apart a good ruler from a great ruler is that a great ruler always brings in great changes, like Ashoka, or Akbar. . That's why we still remember their names with reverence.
But then Devasena is not yet a good ruler let alone a great ruler . She's already far behind as a human being than her counterpart her soul mate Varundev ( the writer used the word counterparts ).
The way she tortured the brave captive Aryan soldier is cringe worthy. She can't demand any excuse of acting under the grief n fury of her father's death. First of all its solely the fault of their sick rules , not of Varundev who showed utmost nobility by showing mercy towards a fallen king of the enemy clan, letting go of the opportunity to get triumph once and for all, but for him his morality is part of his integrity.
Instead of understanding that Devasena is out for his blood ! Wow ! Shame on her ive to say . CVS are really butchering her character day by day. I think its their excuse to validate the death of Devasena at the end. Shame on CVs if that's the case.
Varundev has lost his father very recently , directly by the Dravids yet he's focussing on their common goals and not breathing revenge day in day out and still have it in his heart to show mercy to the Dravids. More power to her !
But then can't really blame Devasena completely, she's been born and brought up in a truncated society .
She openly and proudly declared that they consider men weaker than women. Another cringe worthy puke worthy dialog.
Varundev also considers it wrong to fight with a woman yet we don't hear any such derogatory remark from his mouth against Women. In fact the way he paid homage to both his parents and talked about them in equally respectful tone it's obvious he's a lot of respect for women.
Though some Aryans were making some derogatory remarks when they heard a woman is going to duel but not from their representatives - Agnimitra, Abrook and most importantly Varundev.
Varundev and Devasena represent the best the cream of their clans. It's shocking that as a character Varundev is gaining respect with each passing episode as a humble noble soul whereas Devasena is showing lack of insight, basic humanity and openly flaunting pride and vindictiveness.
CVs do better. Bring them on the same page. Or else I wouldn't exactly enjoy their love story. Varundev deserves a better lady.
P.S.- Star plus had asked the viewers which character is your favourite in Aarambh and no wonder over 90 % answered Varundev.
Edited by Lady_Macbeth - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

To...to thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Yes I agree ...writer is showing aryans more noble then dravadins ...and Dravidian more cunning ...barbaric ...then aryans ...lets see who will going to win this fight...by the way is this clear that in the end davesena going to die?one thing I have problem is with dresses of dravadins ladies specially davesena ...I don't like what thay make her wrap around her body ...may be dravadins queens use to wear such dresses...imexpect maharani in much better design dresses .
486792 thumbnail
I understand your grievances Gargi.But with all due respect I have a different opinion from yours.
Devsena is a flawed character.She is not perfect.And I guess that's clear from the episodes.She has her vices and virtues.She is proud,arrogant,overconfident and vindictive.Today she also displayed ruthlessness.These traits are not admirable in any person.Be it a man or a woman.Basically she is Yin to Vaundev's Yang.

But let's take a hypothetical situation in which these very same traits are present in the male lead instead of the female lead.
I have seen this on many instances in which a male character with these very traits is found attractive and sexy.People readily ship him with the female lead and look forward to the moment when the female lead will change him with her true love and make him a better person.Male leads with such traits are hailed as unique and grey shaded heroes who are different from the goody two shoes male leads.
Then why is a female character becomes 'butchered' when she possesses the same traits?? Why is she deemed unfit to romance the male lead then?

From my experience with TV shows in general and Indian TV in particular,grey shaded male leads are loved and cherished as anti heroes.Forget grey even pitch black male leads who have committed criminal activities are welcomed.Sociopaths and in some cases borderline psychopaths too are not only accepted but championed too.They are considered to be strong characters who should romance the female leads.It is conveniently forgotten that those women too deserve better men.

Then what's the big deal with Devsena being a grey shaded character?Nowhere was it said that Devsena will be an out and out noble woman.She is a flawed individual and a grey character with her heart in the right place.I am interested to see how Varundev fills her cold heart with love and melts it.I am looking forward to see how she evolves with Varundev's love.Let for once a noble man change a flawed woman with the power of his love.I am ready to accept this anti heroine Devsena opp the hero Varundev.

Edited by --BlackSheep-- - 7 years ago
candy02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I will like to add my two cents with the caveat that Devsena's deed can no way be defined as humane.

Devasena is indeed a flawed character - confident, courageous, boastful, imperious, credulous, ingenuous yet respectful, loving & caring. In yesterday's episode, she understood that she is powerless to defy the barbaric rules prevailing in her kingdom since those are being supported by their supreme priestess and thus had to take the monumental decision to kill her father with her own hands to gift Arvamudan a honourable death. It had shattered her into microscopic pieces and from that wreckage has risen a Devsena who is vicious, vindictive, unforgiving & defiant. She has repeatedly & unabashedly displayed her anger & defiance against Hahuma today, which has been unimaginable till now and Hahuma definitely understood that. Such has been her transformation within a single night.

Regarding her ruthlessness w.r.t. the Aryan, it was inhumane; in tandem with the customs & the laws prevailing in her land. I don't support her deed, but a point in her defence is that the Aryan spat in front of her cursing the Dravidians and I suppose that had snapped her to this extreme, ably being fueled by her extreme anger, frustrations, grief, guilt and an urge to prove a point in front of Hahuma that she is indeed the best in her kingdom in every respect.

W.r.t. ITV, I have made a peace with the fact that it is indeed futile to look for logic. But since this show seems to be different, so I am precisely doing that. I am yet to understand how come the situation has been different w.r.t. Devsena in case Varundev had killed Arvamudan !! Varundev had two alternatives, either to spare him or kill him. He is a stranger to the customs prevailing in the land. How come he would be aware of the fact that in either case it would be certain death for Arvamudan!! If he had killed him instead then also Devsena has sworn revenge only...

I agree with Ayesha. It will be a change to watch a good natured & mannered noble Hero turning the hatred of a flawed FL to love instead of a male psychopath criminal abusing/manhandling his slave aka heroine, the FL silently digesting every BS in the name of love and changing the so called hero; with the caveat that no abuse, no (wo)manhandling in the name of "love". Anyways, today's episode actually has reinforced my imagination that these two have been star-crossed lovers in their past life(ves).

Must mention this. A single scene, for a minute only might be (once Devsena removed her veil) and they have set the screen on fire. Hats off to KN & RD ...Also KN's portrayal of the Dravidian queen - commendable is THE word.
Edited by chandrima02 - 7 years ago
_Payalj_ thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Agree that devsena is being portrayed in a very negative fashion. But if one looks closely, she is the product of the brutal Dravidian society and as we all know we are a product of our environment.
Devsena since her childhood has known only cruelty. Add to it deception which is considered de riguer by them and we have the unlikable and unadmirable combination standing before us.

Varundev on the other hand has learnt compassion and righteousness from his parents.

In fact what started as the greatest Dravidian strength that is matriarchy, ultimately became their greatest weakness and cause of downfall.

Because in the long run, in order to prove women superior, they ended up stripping them of their core competency and strength that is love, sensitivity and compassion. The effect is visible on their current generations, one of whom is Devsena.
Edited by _Payalj_ - 7 years ago
NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I agree as i wrote on another thread too
Just being a matriarchichal society is not tjis grear things

Societies need to ne humanistic

I can see that the writers want to show that uncivilused ways of that civilused society and maybe they want to say tgat these led to its downfall

But i had expcted more from devsena

I had thought she would realise the truth and she would understand that mercy is never wrong

But no she didnt
clarity thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
First time posting on this forum.

Hello all. 😊

You made an interesting point but I have a different opinion.

As stated by another poster, I am actually happy to see a layered portrayal of Devsena on this show. Honestly, it's important for me to be able to identify with a protagonist and I am so glad she is not the usual bleating lamb/damsel in distress we see on TV. Usually, the male leads are angry young men whose method of letting off steam is criminally intimidating the female lead.

Here, it's a battle of equals in some ways as Devsena is more than capable of defending herself. I am enjoying the battle of fire and ice on the show. I like the characterisations of both the leads. Varundev embodies the calmness and depth of water while Devsena is brash and aggressive like fire. Their differing personalities make for such an entertaining watch.

Regarding the portrayal of the Dravids and the Aryans, maybe the CVs do want to portray the Dravids as being inhumane so as to make the audience root for the Aryans subconsciously. However, I will disagree with the point that the Aryans are an undisputed force for good. Till now, the only Aryaveer who upholds all the values preached by the Aryans is only Varundev. The rest are no different from the Thangams and Dayalinis of Dravidagam,

Why do I say this?

The Dravids believe in a matrilineal society but the Aryans clearly believe in a patriarchal one. The Dravids allow women and men to fight alongside each other while the Aryans scoff at the idea of dying at the hands of a woman and consider it an insult, as voiced by the Purohit. The Dravids don't. Apart from Varundev, the rest of the Aryans regularly make it clear they think women are inferior to men in all ways and neither are all of them as honourable as Varundev.

For example, when Varundev decided to not kill Aravamudan because the sun had set, another Aryaveer encouraged him to finish the deed and the war along with it. Abrook has shown us time and again that he is an opportunist who can do almost anything to get his way (loosening his blindfold and grabbing the fish by deceit from VD) and his tendency to manipulate people to get what he wants. When Devsena takes the offer of a one-on-one duel to them, one of the Aryaveers says she should entertain them by dancing for them. It was a very cheap shot that implied that being a woman, her only value is to entertain the men.

Plus, the CVs have shown the ills of Dravidagam because they are an established civilisation. With the Aryans, they haven't really provided a full picture of how they function as a society because we only see the men of the society/soldiers. We don't know how they serve justice, how they punish wrongdoers and what is the status of the less powerful in their society. I wonder why the CVs are yet to show us the Aryan society. No Aryan women have been introduced and nor has their status in society been described.

Regarding popularity in that SP poll, honestly, I think people have voted for him 'cause they like how he looks. πŸ˜† The audience will be majority female which often looks for a hunk to drool over.

So, I have no issues with Devsena's portrayal at all. It's nice to see something different on Indian TV. Look forward to VD and DS' equation. I find them very captivating.
gemini54 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
What a stupendous postπŸ‘. Such clarity in the writing..loved your pov. Keep writing

QUOTE=clarity]First time posting on this forum.

Hello all. 😊

You made an interesting point but I have a different opinion.

As stated by another poster, I am actually happy to see a layered portrayal of Devsena on this show. Honestly, it's important for me to be able to identify with a protagonist and I am so glad she is not the usual bleating lamb/damsel in distress we see on TV. Usually, the male leads are angry young men whose method of letting off steam is criminally intimidating the female lead.

Here, it's a battle of equals in some ways as Devsena is more than capable of defending herself. I am enjoying the battle of fire and ice on the show. I like the characterisations of both the leads. Varundev embodies the calmness and depth of water while Devsena is brash and aggressive like fire. Their differing personalities make for such an entertaining watch.

Regarding the portrayal of the Dravids and the Aryans, maybe the CVs do want to portray the Dravids as being inhumane so as to make the audience root for the Aryans subconsciously. However, I will disagree with the point that the Aryans are an undisputed force for good. Till now, the only Aryaveer who upholds all the values preached by the Aryans is only Varundev. The rest are no different from the Thangams and Dayalinis of Dravidagam,

Why do I say this?

The Dravids believe in a matrilineal society but the Aryans clearly believe in a patriarchal one. The Dravids allow women and men to fight alongside each other while the Aryans scoff at the idea of dying at the hands of a woman and consider it an insult, as voiced by the Purohit. The Dravids don't. Apart from Varundev, the rest of the Aryans regularly make it clear they think women are inferior to men in all ways and neither are all of them as honourable as Varundev.

For example, when Varundev decided to not kill Aravamudan because the sun had set, another Aryaveer encouraged him to finish the deed and the war along with it. Abrook has shown us time and again that he is an opportunist who can do almost anything to get his way (loosening his blindfold and grabbing the fish by deceit from VD) and his tendency to manipulate people to get what he wants. When Devsena takes the offer of a one-on-one duel to them, one of the Aryaveers says she should entertain them by dancing for them. It was a very cheap shot that implied that being a woman, her only value is to entertain the men.

Plus, the CVs have shown the ills of Dravidagam because they are an established civilisation. With the Aryans, they haven't really provided a full picture of how they function as a society because we only see the men of the society/soldiers. We don't know how they serve justice, how they punish wrongdoers and what is the status of the less powerful in their society. I wonder why the CVs are yet to show us the Aryan society. No Aryan women have been introduced and nor has their status in society been described.

Regarding popularity in that SP poll, honestly, I think people have voted for him 'cause they like how he looks. πŸ˜† The audience will be majority female which often looks for a hunk to drool over.

So, I have no issues with Devsena's portrayal at all. It's nice to see something different on Indian TV. Look forward to VD and DS' equation. I find them very captivating.
mary78613 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I don't agree to all of this but I do agree to some points.
Change will come once she realises the values that Aryans have are much more refined and would strengthen her kingdom but this would take time. Varun dev would be a huge vehicle in bringing this change.

Now coming to her father, she gave him a honourable death even if it killed her inside. Yes, Dravids are barbarics and they have some rugged rules which ended up being the cause of her father's death. But then you can't change rules overnight just because your father is at the receiving end. It was the rule for all and it did not matter what the maharani wanted, and she couldn't question the rules going on for centuries just like that.

Varun Dev doesn't even know why he is at the receiving end of such hatred but i guess he will soon find out. His kind heart and civility will win Devesena over in the end. What she did with the Aryan warrior is something that any warrior would do if they demean you and try to escape when the entire kingdom is present. He had to be taught a lesson.

Edited by mary78613 - 7 years ago
Etna_Dia thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I concur with your points, but I don't mind her characterization. She is who she is supposed to be in the setting of the story and her world. There were tough times back then. Societies revolved around surviving. If Dravids had such bad laws, it's because they used to work for them. Let's just remember about the Spartan society. They killed the children who were born with health problems. Today this is the ultimate cruelty, but back then they made this rule because having a city with too many people who were not able to fight or work was slowing them down. For a time it worked, only later it didn't... Too much rigidity led to their downfall.

I am reading "Alcibiades" by Plato and there, in one of the dialogues, Alcibiades tells to Socrates that there is nothing worse for a man than to be seen as a coward... He would rather lose everything -life, fortune- but courage...

Back in those times, courage and honor were everything... And Devsena's father lost both, there on the battlefield. The Aryan warrior proved more courage than him as he defeated him. The honor was gone as well because, his whole lifetime, he would have had to live knowing that he had to be grateful to his enemy's mercy. It may not make sense to us today, but then this was worse than death for a man. The Dravids condemned him... they had to mark him as an example, so their other soldiers learn to fight to their last breath and not rely on their enemy's mercy. The details like the fact that Devsena's father was unconscious and there wasn't his fault that the Aryan let him live were not important... That's how hard those times were.

Merely, I doubt that they will portray Aryans as being morally superior till the very end. If they present the Aryan Invasion Theory then they must likewise show that once they conquered the land they introduced discrimination in order to establish their authority, especially the one regarding the color of the skin.

Edited by Etna_Dia - 7 years ago