Users

Frequent Posters

gemini54 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago

Wow what an analogy of the bull👏
W

Originally posted by: S.Stephy

In a way, Avarmudan ended up being like that bull which needed to be sacrificed before Devsena could ascend the throne.

The whole thing really does go to show how these people are more concerned about blindly following some real strict laws without weighing them out.

gemini54 thumbnail
So true. Like they say change the only constant. Change occurs when there is awareness that the method being followed is archaic and not aligned with the times. Great revolts against establishment start that way. My only hope is that in order to show one or the other superior they dont butcher the core strength of one and I think that is what Payal was referring to also. Thanks for the reference to the Amish Tripathi book it was one of his better ones.

Originally posted by: --BlackSheep--

In his book The Immortals Of Meluha,Amish Tripathi wrote about two different sets of ideologies.He said that when one ideology or system becomes stagnant,the other ideology takes over and revives the society.It is the law of nature.

Yesterday's episode showed a very brutal and inhuman side of the Dravidian system.I believe that the makers intend to show that inhumanity can creep inside any form of system.Be it patriarchy,matriarchy,monarchy or democracy.
And when inhumanity takes over the best remedy would be to remove the existing system of rules and replacing them with a new set of rules.

Dreamful thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Really interesting discussion in this thread. It seems like they want to show that the Dravidian civilization of Sapta Sindhu, though advanced in many ways, also seems to have flaws. The society seems to have become stagnant in a way and misguided on a moral level (for example not seeing the value of compassion). Perhaps it is for this reason that the new rulers would bring a new "Aarambh".
NimJ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
The replies in the thread reminded me of a poem I had read in my school days.Googled to find that one.Its from a Tamil poetic collection and is basically about how a King should be and all.It is dated between 1st century BC and 5th century BC.

The drums have forgotten their drumming clay. The yals have forgotten their ragas.
The giant pots lie over on their sides and have forgotten how to hold the ghee.
His followers have forgotten the pure toddy around which the bees would gather.
The plowmen have forgotten how they used to raise an uproar and the villages
with their broad streets have forgotten how to carry out their festivals!
Just as on the great day when the moon has grown full and the two spheres
of light
stare one at the other and then one of them vanishes over the mountain out
into the empty evening, so in shame after taking a wound in the back,
although from a worthy opposing king who had thought to take aim
at his chest,
that ruler of imposing Martial Courage now is seated next to his sword. He has chosen
to sit on the ground, facing the north! And here by day,
when the sun is shining, time does not go by as the time of day once did before. (65)

Kalattalaiyar(Poet) on Ceraman Perun Ceralatan(King 1) when he fought with Colan Karikar Peruvalattan(King 2), was ashamed of a back wound (he suffered) and faced north (to starve himself to death).

Running away from a battlefield was considered very shameful...and so was getting a wound on the back as it implies that the person was running away.So here's a King who got a wound on his back,though the opponent didn't intend to hurt him on his back.Even after winning the battle, the King chose to kill himself abandoning his kingdom and people. Never been able to understand why such acts were encouraged those days .

I think its a classic example of 'society misguided on moral levels ' like dreamful said.

I took the poem translation from a paper
Credit-The Purananuru and the Tamil Concept of Valour Page- 25
http://www.indianstudies.net//V1/n3/v1n3s204.pdf

Sorry if it seems off-topic 😊
Edited by NimJ - 7 years ago
gemini54 thumbnail
👏 what a beautiful poem. I am reading the English translation of Ponniyin Selvan a classic book.
Thanks for posting!

Originally posted by: NimJ

The replies in the thread reminded me of a poem I had read in my school days.Googled to find that one.Its from a Tamil poetic collection and is basically about how a King should be and all.It is dated between 1st century BC and 5th century BC.

The drums have forgotten their drumming clay. The yals have forgotten their ragas.
The giant pots lie over on their sides and have forgotten how to hold the ghee.
His followers have forgotten the pure toddy around which the bees would gather.
The plowmen have forgotten how they used to raise an uproar and the villages
with their broad streets have forgotten how to carry out their festivals!
Just as on the great day when the moon has grown full and the two spheres
of light
stare one at the other and then one of them vanishes over the mountain out
into the empty evening, so in shame after taking a wound in the back,
although from a worthy opposing king who had thought to take aim
at his chest,
that ruler of imposing Martial Courage now is seated next to his sword. He has chosen
to sit on the ground, facing the north! And here by day,
when the sun is shining, time does not go by as the time of day once did before. (65)

Kalattalaiyar(Poet) on Ceraman Perun Ceralatan(King 1) when he fought with Colan Karikar Peruvalattan(King 2), was ashamed of a back wound (he suffered) and faced north (to starve himself to death).

Running away from a battlefield was considered very shameful...and so was getting a wound on the back as it implies that the person was running away.So here's a King who got a wound on his back,though the opponent didn't intend to hurt him on his back.Even after winning the battle, the King chose to kill himself abandoning his kingdom and people. Never been able to understand why such acts were encouraged those days .

I think its a classic example of 'society misguided on moral levels ' like dreamful said.

I took the poem translation from a paper
Credit-The Purananuru and the Tamil Concept of Valour Page- 25
http://www.indianstudies.net//V1/n3/v1n3s204.pdf

Sorry if it seems off-topic 😊

AshtaVasus thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: NimJ

Running away from a battlefield was considered very shameful...and so was getting a wound on the back as it implies that the person was running away.So here's a King who got a wound on his back,though the opponent didn't intend to hurt him on his back.Even after winning the battle, the King chose to kill himself abandoning his kingdom and people. Never been able to understand why such acts were encouraged those days . I think its a classic example of 'society misguided on moral levels ' like dreamful said.

Originally posted by: Dreamful

Really interesting discussion in this thread. It seems like they want to show that the Dravidian civilization of Sapta Sindhu, though advanced in many ways, also seems to have flaws. The society seems to have become stagnant in a way and misguided on a moral level (for example not seeing the value of compassion). Perhaps it is for this reason that the new rulers would bring a new "Aarambh".

Hi NimJ and Dreamful,
Loved reading your strong comments posted in this Thread.

When you present an idea which is against everyone's point of view, it generally does not win favour. But the above comments made me post my silver-grey hair opinion. Hope you take it in good stride.

Humanity in Humans is an evolved theory. We all started from Homosapiens, Cavemen, Barbarians, Village Men before turning into City Men and belonging to Dynasties, then slaves under British and now people belonging to Independent Nation. It would be a futile attempt to ask question why we were walking on four legs once. It is difficult to understand certain things with 21st century eyes. Purely because we have not lived during that period and experienced their pain.

A little bit of barbarism existed even in the most advanced cities like Rome too. Likewise, we too, had our own wierd customs and traditions. Refusing to drink a drop of water from your enemy's hands was one of them (which doomed death penalty on Aravamudan in the Show). It was seen as a sign of weakness at the hands of our enemy. It is equal to accepting defeat. Committing Jauhar was a woman's sign of refusing to submit to enemy's undue demands. Rajputs fight-until-death with Muslims is a sign of Do or Die situation.

India, being a Sub-continent, with all its abundant gold and riches, with 3 sides sea and one side land (North), we were at danger of invasion at all times. Protection of Self, Protection of your Family, Protection of Land / Kingdom were our Code of Conduct those days. [Remember "A Few Good Men" movie where Tom Cruise asks the military person charged with murder - "You want me to go to the prosecutor with Unit, Corps, God, Country?" ] . Running away from battlefield is still considered very shameful act. People still commit suicide for Honour. People at the borders, still live with certain strict rules and regulations, which is very wierd compared to the rest of our country.

Megasthenes, one of the greek ambassadors, wrote in his book Indica, about the time and kinda people lived during his period in India. He said, while the people in the rest of Asia, when they fight and win a Kingdom, destroy and BURN every single thing in the conquered place. Whereas, in India, when one Kingdom captures another Kingdom, we did not destroy the crops, we did not touch farmers, women, children, doctors, musicians, sculptors, monks, religion etc. - basically, Saviors and everyone who could carry our culture and heritage were left untouched. The kingdoms were basically Merged upon conquer and then flourished. Now, this was not done by others in Asia. Can you explain why ? Because thats their culture dear.

As for the Value of Compassion, I can quote certain Kings, who lived For and By Honour, whose names still exist in our history. And whose example has no comparison with the world's other Kings.

- Manu Neethi Cholan's son killed a Calf. The Cow came for justice. The king killed his own son to give justice to the Cow. Compassion to even animals.
- Paari, a King saw a creeper plant in the forest, unable to grow further, because there was no steady pillar or a tree nearby. The King left his Chariot in the jungle to help the creeper grow, and walked back to the Palace.
- King Porkai Pandiyan, cut his hand, to uphold a woman's honour in his Kingdom. He was named Porkai (means Golden Hand) by his people This is a very interesting story. I will tell you in detail if you are interested.
- A Muslim king was forcing a Widow Queen in Gujarat to marry him. She did not like it but her people were suffering out of thirst. There was no water source nearby. The enemy was at the door. She agreed, with a condition that he would build a Step-Well for her poeple. And after the Step-Well was built and her poeple were happy, the Muslim King approached her for marraige. She said she is a Rajput and Widows dont marry during those days. The Step-Well is still there in Gujarat. She saved her people, but to keep up her honor, she fell from her Fort and committed suicide. Compassion for people.
- Narasimha Varma Pallava (a King of Pallava Dynasty) brought up his enemy Chola King's son and when he came up of age, he made the Chola King an independent one and also got his daughter married to him. Respect for even enemy.

All these are facts. A lot of such examples exist in history.

The Show showcases two sides of the same coin, focussing only on certain aspects of history WITH A LOT OF FICTION. So, dont judge our society those days - that we had become stagnant, we did not have morals or compassion. Dont wonder why certain acts were followed those days etc.

gemini54 thumbnail
@Rajatshweta Thanks for commenting.
@all Thanks for all your replies.