Grammy-Winning Legend Lou Rawls Dies

shahidlover24 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Grammy-Winning Legend Lou Rawls Dies

By Hollywood.com Staff|Friday, January 06, 2006

HOLLYWOOD - Lou Rawls, the velvet-voiced singer best known for his classic tune "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine," died Jan. 6 of cancer, The Associated Press reports. He was 72.
Lou Rawls died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, where he was hospitalized last month for treatment of lung and brain cancer, said his publicist, Paul Shefrin. His wife, Nina, was at his bedside when he died. 

The singer won three Grammys in a career that spanned nearly five decades, Besides his trademark "You'll Never Find," other hits included "Your Good Thing (Is About to End)," "Natural Man" and "Lady Love." He released his most recent album, Seasons 4 U, in 1998 on his own label, Rawls & Brokaw Records.

Rawls' deep, smooth voice was used in a variety of genres. "I've gone the full spectrum, from gospel to blues to jazz to soul to pop," he once said on his Web site. "And the public has accepted what I've done through it all." 

He also appeared in 18 movies, including Leaving Las Vegas and Blues Brothers 2000, and 16 television series, including Fantasy Island and The Fall Guy.

Rawls was diagnosed with lung cancer in December 2004 and brain cancer in May 2005.

Besides his wife, Rawls is survived by four children: Louanna Rawls, Lou Rawls Jr., Kendra Smith and Aiden Rawls.