Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

light_dark thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 days ago

Tokyo is the New Paris

It's simply the greatest city in the world. If you haven't been there, you need to go.

“There are only two places in the world where we can live happy: at home and in Paris.” — Ernest Hemingway

Which is the greatest city on Earth? If you answered “New York City”, I wouldn’t laugh at you. As the financial hub of what’s still nominally the world’s biggest economy, it commands economic power that any other single city would have trouble rivaling, and it’s still the city of dreams for untold millions around the globe. If you answered “Shanghai”, I might purse my lips in skepticism, but if you believe that China is destined to supplant the developed democracies as the center of wealth and power, then Shanghai would admittedly be the logical choice.

But actually, the greatest city in the world is Tokyo.

I say this as I prepare to once again fly there, for the third time in eight months. Another batch of friends is going to see the city for the first time, and they asked me to show them around. I can’t say no. It’s a way to recapture a little bit of the magic of going there myself for the first time. If you’ve never been, it’s time to go.

Words can only grope clumsily at the experience of actually being in Tokyo. I could describe to you the experience of sipping artisinal cocoa in a quiet bar in Omotesando that looks like it was run through a warming filter; of strolling through a silent park next to a shrine with cherries in bloom; of sipping cheap beer and eating greasy fried chicken in a tiny pub at midnight while a crowd of middle-aged regulars sings their favorite song; of discovering a college student’s art in a free gallery that would put many professional exhibitions to shame; of standing in a quiet grove on a carpet of flowers while brand-new skyscrapers loom just beyond the treeline; of squeezing your way through a tiny cobblestone alley hung with lanterns to eat on top of a barrel.

These were all things I did on my last trip, and they were not particularly unusual or remarkable experiences. They are the tiniest sliver of daily existence in Tokyo, which at times can feel more like floating than living. Or as the title of a novel put it in 1981, inexplicably crystalline.

Tokyo is not the same city it was in 1981, nor is it the city I first visited as a wide-eyed, slack-jawed college student two decades ago. It is a living crystal, an agglomeration onto which new objects are constantly being grafted — new buildings, new cultures, new experiences. One time I went to Tokyo in the spring, and saw ten floors of a new skyscraper going up near my friend’s house; I went back in the fall and had tea in the completed tower, immaculate and open for business.

Many great cities become museums of themselves, their lack of new development an homage to their glory days. Tokyo refuses to do this. In a country that is aging and economically stagnant, Tokyo pushes ever forward into the realm of its own possibilities. ...

By Noah Smith, Noahpinion.

light_dark thumbnail
Posted: 13 days ago

Avan Aval Adhu  604

The words " Dead. All dead " were heard by Andre Fournier and by all members of the police team who were slowly advancing towards the spot where the supposedly drunken men lay on and around the grave of the world-famous Edith Piaf. This act violated the rules of the Pere Lachaise cemetery.

Thirty fully armed commandos who had been advancing in a circle towards Andre Fournier slowly dropped their assault rifles and looked at each other with one thought in all their minds which they whispered, ' Gang Violence ' and then waited for their team leader to issue further instructions.

Hugo, their team leader in a weary voice instructed them, ' Stand down men but be on guard for this is a bit of an unknown even for me. I am sure it is going to be about drugs and money but let me talk to the commander before we proceed. Until then, please don't move around and contaminate the crime scene.'

The National Police (French: Police nationale) is one of two national police forces of France, the other being the National Gendarmerie. The National Police is the country's main civil law enforcement agency, with primary jurisdiction in cities and large towns. By contrast, the National Gendarmerie has primary jurisdiction in smaller towns, as well as in rural and border areas. The National Police comes under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of the Interior and has about 145,200 employees (as of 2015).

The National Police is commanded by the Director-General (directeur général de la police nationale), who is currently Frédéric Veaux. The Director-General is personally in command of the General Directorate of the National Police (French: Direction Générale de la Police nationale) (DGPN) and responsible to the Minister of the Interior.

Hugo called his captain who called his superior and it went on and on and up the chain of command until it reached Director-General Frédéric Veaux who listened and then quickly told his subordinate what to do and how to go about it.

' The minister for the Interior has to be informed immediately. So, follow procedures diligently and see that the killers are brought to justice.

Then just before the call was cut off he whispered, ' John, the Olympics is just around the corner. The whole world is watching us keenly and I am sure many of our so-called neighbours are waiting for us to slip up and make mistakes. France does not need any more publicity than it already has, so, nothing leaks out. Not a word until we find out all that we can about these deaths. If I hear anything of that sort then I will see to it that you and all the members of the team who are in Pere Lachaise cemetery never see France again. Understood. I want a report on my desk by afternoon and before I go face the press.'

Commander John Paul winced as his ulcer began burning threatening to burn a hole all the way to his arseh.le and fearing the worst, he quickly popped an antacid tablet into his mouth and closing his eyes mumbled, ' France is already reeling under a major refugee crisis and if that is not enough, Putin's plans are threatening to engulf the whole of Europe and now this. As if we did not have enough murders and crimes happening in our city.'

Captain Victor Hugo, who was the team leader of the commando group that was in the world-famous cemetery requested permission to speak and Police commander John Paul barked, ' Yes, Hugo. Please do for I have no idea what report I can whip up by afternoon. All I can say is that twelve criminals are dead. Good riddance. What is the need to investigate their deaths? They were scum while living and are scum in death. I hope they all rot in hell for leaving us with this mess.'

The green lan line on his table rang and asking his captain Hugo to wait, Commander John Paul picked it up and realised it was Andre Fournier, the head of the security of the Pere Lachaise cemetery calling and quickly updated him on what was going on.

Andre calmly replied, ' Sir, it is 7.00 am already and we are just two hours away from opening the gates for the public. It is Sunday and you know what that means....'

Paris police Commander John Paul winced and cursed, ' Visitors, tourists and thousands of them and all of the carrying camera Phones... F..k. We are f..ked. I am going to be transferred to some godforsaken country in Africa and posted to watch over toilets in one of our diplomatic buildings.'

' Call the Englishman, Commander.'

' What? Andre, did you say the Englishman.. But he is retired and nearly 80 years old. What good is he and that for a case like this?'

' Commander John, the reason I suggested the Good Doctor's names is because we are running out of time. As far as I know, he is the only person who can conduct a forensic investigation and prepare a report in minutes. And if I am permitted to add.. he might be old, sir but his mind is still the best in the business and lest you forget, all of your current forensic teams were trained by him. '

light_dark thumbnail
Posted: 12 days ago

The Economist: Leaders | The rise of a new economic power

How strong is India’s economy?

It isn’t the next China, but it could still transform itself and the world

Apr 25th 2024

In six weeks’ time Narendra Modi is expected to win a third term as India’s prime minister,

cementing his status as its most important leader since Nehru. The electoral success of this

tea-seller’s son reflects his political skill, the potency of his Hindu-nationalist ideology and

his erosion of democratic institutions. But it also reflects a sense among ordinary voters and

elites that he is bringing India prosperity and power.

Mr Modi’s India is an experiment in how to get richer amid deglobalisation and under

strongman leadership. Whether it can grow fast and avoid unrest over the next 10-20 years

will shape the fate of 1.4bn people and the world economy. As our special report explains,

Mr Modi’s formula is working—up to a point. But there are questions over whether India’s

success can last and whether it depends on him remaining in power.

India, the world’s fastest-growing big country, is expanding at an annual rate of 6-7%. New

data show private-sector confidence at its highest since 2010. Already the fifth-largest

economy, it may rank third by 2027, after America and China. India’s clout is showing up in

new ways. American firms have 1.5m staff in India, more than in any other foreign country.

Its stockmarket is the world’s fourth-most-valuable, while the aviation market ranks third.

India’s purchases of Russian oil move global prices. Rising wealth means more geopolitical

heft. After the Houthis disrupted the Suez canal, India deployed ten warships in the Middle

East. Presidents Joe Biden and Donald Trump have courted it without disputing that it will

remain an independent actor.

If you are looking for “the next China”—a manufacturing-led miracle—it isn’t India. The

country is developing at a time of stagnating goods trade and factory automation. It therefore

needs to pioneer a new model for growth. One pillar of this is familiar: a massive programme

of infrastructure that knits together a vast single market. India has 149 airports, double the

number a decade ago, and is adding 10,000km of roads and 15gw of solar-energy capacity a

year. Some of this infrastructure is intangible, including digital payments, modern capital

markets and banks, and a unified digital tax system. All this allows firms to exploit national

economies of scale.

A second, more novel pillar is services exports, which have reached 10% of gdp. Global trade

in services is still growing and Indian it firms have marketed “global capability centres”—

hubs that sell multinationals r&d and services such as law and accounting. Yet despite its slick

tech campuses, India is still a semirural society. That explains the economic model’s final

pillar, a new type of welfare system in which hundreds of millions of poor Indians receive

digital transfer-payments. New data suggest the share of the population living on less than

$2.15 a day in 2017 prices, a global measure of poverty, has fallen below 5% from 12% in

How much credit does Mr Modi deserve? His most successful policies draw on the liberal

agenda that emerged in India in the 1990s and 2000s, but there is nothing wrong with that. He

deserves credit for forcing through stalled reforms, personally overseeing key decisions and

browbeating laggards and opponents in the bureaucracy. Some say he has fostered crony

capitalism. Yet although some big firms get favours, concentration in business is falling,

corruption has waned and business boasts a rich diversity. A cross between a ceo and a

populist, Mr Modi relishes PowerPoint presentations as much as rallies. If he wins five more

years, India will continue to grow strongly. So will its middle class: 60m people earn over

$10,000 a year; by 2027, 100m will, reckons Goldman Sachs, a bank that now has 20% of its

staff in India.

Yet India faces a daunting problem. Out of a working-age population of 1bn, only 100m or so

have formal jobs. Most of the rest are stuck in casual work or joblessness. Mr Modi’s humble

beginnings help him speak to these people. To absorb some of India’s spare labour he is

using a state-run incentive scheme to promote manufacturing. But even if the scheme hits its

targets, it will create just 7m jobs. President Xi Jinping’s plan for a Chinese export surge will

only make the task harder.

India’s economy must generate mass employment to sustain its growth. One path would be

an even bigger it sector, acting as a hub for a digitising world, and a cluster of export

industries, including digital finance, food and defence (where stronger links with America

would help). Spending by workers in these industries would in turn create more jobs in other

sectors, from construction to hotels. An efficient, single domestic market would raise overall

productivity and well-targeted welfare could help those who fall behind. For this, India would

have to transform education and agriculture, and enable much more migration from the

populous north to the big southern and western cities.

Judged by those epic standards, Mr Modi has too little to say. His Bharatiya Janata Party (bjp)

has some talent and ideas but is mostly focused on ideology and Muslim-bashing. A rising

illiberalism has curtailed political opposition and free speech. The fact that firms fear Mr

Modi may explain why investment has yet to surge. The process of preparing the public for

huge social change in the 2030s has barely begun. Remaking education, cities and agriculture

will require the co-operation of state governments that are not led by the bjp and social groups

that are facing disruption, but Mr Modi’s rebarbative politics have left many of them

estranged.

India’s Lee Kuan Yew or its Erdogan?

The question for India and its heavyweight economy is not whether Mr Modi wins, but

whether he will evolve. Aged 73, he may find his powers of management fade. To create a

new reform agenda on a par with the one that emerged out of the 1990s, and to foster a

thriving knowledge economy that rewards people for thinking for themselves, he will have to

temper his autocratic impulses. To attract more local and foreign investment and to find a

growth-minded successor, his party will need to curb its chauvinistic politics. If not, Mr

Modi’s mission of national renewal will not live up to its promise.

light_dark thumbnail
Posted: 11 days ago

THIS IS A "MEMBERS ONLY" POST
The Author of this post have chosen to restrict the content of this Post to members only.