Shamshad Begum Solos Poll # SB1| Poll closed| - Page 2

Poll

What's your favorite Shamshad Begum (Solo) song?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Classical Connoisseurs

Posted: 19 days ago

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

I’ve learned to keep low expectations when it comes to Gen Z / Millenials and Classic stuff. smiley36 I’m glad you know of her and her songs! smiley27

Haha, that's true but there's some who have taste™ smiley36

minakrish thumbnail

Bollywood Brigade

Posted: 16 days ago

Sainyaan dil mein aana re and Kabhi aar, kabhi paar... I love both these songs.❤️

dhun.laagi thumbnail
Posted: 12 days ago

Saiyaan dil mein aana re, aake phir na jaana re, chamm chamacham cham smiley27

surajhere thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 days ago

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Hello music lovers,

Today, April 14, is the birth anniversary of an iconic but altogether forgotten playback singer - Shamshad Begum.

Known for keeping a low profile, Shamshad Begum spent her last years in relative anonymity staying with her daughter and son-in-law, and was even mistakenly thought to be dead years before - her name being confused with another Shamshad Begum- Saira Banu's grandmother.

Known fondly as Aapaji (elder sister), Shamshad's laidback persona led to so many slights and oversights in her career, with music directors such as O.P. Nayyar, Naushad and C. Ramchandra who used her voice liberally when they were still establishing themselves, happily taking up her generosity in charging lower fees since they were just starting up and couldn't afford more, only to overlook her in favour of Lata, Asha or other playback singers when they grew famous. Shamshad herself was more a family oriented person, she fell in love and married a much older Ganpat Lal Batto when she was just a teenager against the wishes of her conservative family. She happily set up house with him and raised a child, only to be devastated when he was killed in a freak accident. By the time, things had moved on in the film industry and she found she couldn't make her place back, fickle as it was.

Still, she is known as one of the most distinctive female playback voices we ever had and O.P. Nayyar had once mentioned that he voice was "clear as a temple bell." Rafi has spoken of her tremendous control over her voice and in a song they were singing together (I think it was Bheega bheega pyar ka sama), he found himself struggling to take a breath whereas Shamshad managed it with consummate ease prompting him to say to her, "Maan gaye aapko, Aapa!" Kishore Kumar would seek her advise when he was an upcoming singer and wonder if he would ever becomes as famous as his older brother and she would tell him to keep up the hard work, and that true talent would not stay hidden for long. As it is, the song he sang with her, "Meri neendon mein tum" is said to have moved Rafi to tears - so overcome was he at Kishoreda's singing.

Even if no one remembers her much and when we talk about yesteryears female singers we mention Lata, Asha, Geeta Dutt ..even Suraiya & Noorjehan but rarely ever Shamshad Begum, you've got to admit she sang some of the most iconic songs from that era - some of which are still remembered to this day via remixes smiley11.

So let's take this opportunity to celebrate this rare, iconic, yet forgotten singer.

Vote for your favorite Shamshad Begum Solo song.

Then pop over and vote in the Duets Poll.

I'll post all the songs in the poll because you may not have heard of some of them, and even if you have, these gems deserve to be remembered/ listened to over and over.

Poll stays open for a week i.e. until next Sunday April 21.

Wonderful writeup, but I don't think she would ever be forgotten, I mean such songs are hard to come by, I know it is not a solo but it is a banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L81ovh40chw