The voice has gone but melody lingers on

Viswasruti thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Legendary playback singer SP Balasubrahmanyam passed away on September 25 at the age of 74. His mortal remains will be taken to his farmhouse on the outskirts of Chennai tonight, and he will be laid to rest there.

Music maestro Ilayaraja paid an emotional tribute to SPB: "'Balu, Get up soon. In waiting to see you' - were the words I told you before. But you didn't listen. You left us. Where did you go? The world has become a vacuum. I don't know what to say. I don't have words to describe my feelings. There is a limit to sadness. But in your case, there is none."

RGV said--- The point is not about living, but it is about what the person contributed to other people’s lives when he was living ..The physical entity of SPB ended, but his voice will live as long as music lives

Ironically, before he tested positive for coronavirus, singer S P Balasubrahmanyam had composed and sung a Tamil song to create awareness about the deadly pathogen with the lyrics brimming with confidence that mankind would eventually win over the pandemic. "I composed this number. Let us listen to this... it is not more musical, it is more lyrical," he had said months ago in his foreword to the song, penned by renowned lyricist Vairamuthu. Popularly known as ''SPB'', he had in the three-minute plus video post urged his fans to pay attention to the depth and import of the words and act accordingly to help prevent the virus spread.