Favorite Actress Performance in a Negative Role - Page 11

Poll

What is your Favorite Actress Performance in a Negative Role?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BhataktiJawani thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 1 months ago

Urmilla Matondkar wins this by miles!! She is PTKK was FAB!!! 

sharaban thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: sharaban

Urmila kaun and Kajol gupt peroformances should not be counted in the negative league, to be fair with other actresses.

Reason being both played (seemingly) positive roles in 95℅ of these two films, its just in the last ten minutes of the movie where they portrayed their real character, only hardly 5% of the total screentime of these movies, and that SHOCK FACTOR and twist in the end needs to be credited to the writers of these films, more than anyone else.

-----------

Also Sridevi was not in a negative role in Laadla, she played a head strong stubborn woman, but not a vamp.

If her name deserve to be in this poll, it should have been for the film JUDAAI, and not Laadla.

---------------------------------

Edited by sharaban - 1 months ago
priya185 thumbnail

Comedy Crew

Best was Priyanka in Aitraaz

2nd Kajol in gupt

I haven’t watched most of Urmila’s films

bollyqueen0 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Kareena Kapoor in Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon. She was not playing a negative character but I felt negativity inside me after seeing that performance.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Urmila kaun and Kajol gupt peroformances should not be counted in the negative league, to be fair with other actresses.

Reason being both played (seemingly) positive roles in 95℅ of these two films, its just in the last ten minutes of the movie where they portrayed their real character, only hardly 5% of the total screentime of these movies, and that SHOCK FACTOR and twist in the end needs to be credited to the writers of these films, more than anyone else.

-----------

With Kajol, if you know the twist already and rewatch the movie, you can see subtle signs and hints that something was off about her. Lots of weird glances and reactions especially towards Manisha's character. 

Urmila's negative performance is the fact that she's mentally off. Her acting like the victim throughout 95% of the movie is part of her psychosis. Even if the audience isn't in on the secret, Urmila is playing her in such a way that makes sense for the character. The red herring is the two men who appear in the house as we think one or the other must be the real killer as we have reason to doubt why they are there and not why Urmila is there. It's the perfect shield as no one suspects Urmila and that really she is the one who shouldn't be in the house.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Also Sridevi was not in a negative role in Laadla, she played a head strong stubborn woman, but not a vamp.

If her name deserve to be in this poll, it should have been for the film JUDAAI, and not Laadla.

---------------------------------

Sridevi: "I refused the Tamil and Telugu version of Laadla because I thought it's a negative role, the audience will hate me. However, when they became big hits, I realised I had made a mistake. So when I was approached for the Hindi version (after Divya Bharati's tragic death), I accepted it, without hesitating. I liked the character. She's not killing anyone, she's not a vamp. I am demanding too, I want everything to be perfect. Whether it's my house or my dress, I never compromise. But that's where my similarity with the Laadla character Sheetal Jaitley ends (laughs!)."

https://www.indiatoday.in/magazine/eyecatchers/story/19940415-sridevi-plays-negative-role-in-her-latest-film-laadla-809000-1994-04-14

Sridevi plays negative role in her latest film 'Laadla'

Being bad is now good. After Shah Rukh Khan's success as a psycho-killer in Baazigar, the latest player to join the game is the simpering Sridevi.

Only this time the normally treacly-sweet actress plays the super bitch, Sheetal, in Laadla, her latest film. "Nasty, nasty, nasty" Sheetal is the country's top industrialist given to slapping her manager and being vicious.

Sridevi says: "It was fun. I have nothing against negative roles but I don't want to repeat it." Of course, Laadla's end has Sheetal repenting. But as Sridevi says: "This was a film for the masses. It had to end like this." Especially for her to remain Bollywood's laadli.

It was presented in the media like a negative role and Sridevi herself referred to it as such. Not all negative roles require you to be a murderer, violent, or especially in an actress' case, a vamp.

Edited by RaniPreityAish - 1 months ago
sharaban thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2

Still Judaai was more of a negative character than what she has played in Laadla, tbh.

--------------

Edited by sharaban - 1 months ago
RaniPreityAish thumbnail

Still Judaai was more of a negative character than what she has played in Laadla, tbh.

--------------

Honestly, I thought she was the most sympathetic character in both films. I was rooting for her in both. You can tell that her Laadla character is supposed to be considered negative considering the numerous amount of times she gets slapped by Anil Kapoor in the movie. In fact, I thought Urmila's character was actually the one more in the wrong in Judaai. 

If you compare Urmila's characters in Judaai and Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya, both are very similar. Both spoiled rich girls who see a man they fall in love with and will do anything to have him. In Judaai, she's lucky that she's slightly more mentally stable and that she can buy him.

In Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya, she's actually way more sympathetic. Fardeen Khan is the one who harasses her, not the other way around. She's just doing yoga and he starts photographing her for his job. She even tells him not to take her photos and tries to take the camera away but he refuses and sells those photos to make her a model without her consent. She's angry about this and only because he's charming does she forgive him when she goes to confront him. Then she falls in love with him after several months of working together closely as model and photographer but before she can admit her feelings, he invites her to her home and that's where he introduces his wife.

RiddlerPump thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

priyanka, urmila, kajol

Mugda thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Aishwarya Rai in Ponniyin Selvan-1

Wonderful performance.