Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

--Pinky-- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 15 years ago

Ragini, Ashita and Vibha in Dekh India Dekh..

The three talented ladies Ragini Khanna, Vibha Anand and Ashita Dhawan will give themselves some comic relief as they ...

Ashita(Malti)in dekh India dekh:TB

--Pinky-- thumbnail

New Entry in Bidaai; Mystery to unravel...

A new girl in Ranveer's life enters Bidaai, in Jenice Sobti. Also mercury levels rise as the hidden truth of the ...

TB - New Entry in Bidaai; Mystery to unravel

--Pinky-- thumbnail

Step aside, ladies!

TNN 25 July 2009, 12:09am IST
Print Email Discuss Bookmark/Share Save Comment Text Size: |
The Jyotis, Anandis and Bandinis of our small screen need not feel lonely at the top — 'coz they have company now!

From who you ask? Well, it's none other than the small screen men who too are doing their bit to make their presence felt. Unlike earlier when the men were mere props, their roles are becoming progressively bigger and stronger in the scheme of things. Arjun Punj of Kitani Mohabbat Hai, Alekh and Ranveer of Sapna Babul Ka... Bidaai, Naitik of Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai, Dharamraj Mahiyavanshi of Bandini, Jogi Thakur of Uttaran, Dr Armaan of Dill Mill Gayye are almost as important, if not more, as their female counterparts. And when it comes to screen presence, characterisation and presentation, male actors are no more getting the raw deal.

Rajan Shahi, producer of shows like Sapna Babul Ka... Bidaai and Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai admits that TV shows are taking a fresh approach to storytelling, specially when it comes to male actors. "The male angle has become quite prominent and that's because of the new understanding and acceptance by the audience," he says.

Shahi says that now, the men on TV not just react to situations, they create situations as well. One reason for this, according to him, is that TV has explored every facet of women and some serials have reduced them to either Sita or a vamp. "There's over-saturation and that's where the men come in," he says. Pawan Shankar, who played the male protagonist in Vicky Ki Taxxi asks, "If films can work with male leads, why not TV?" He adds that as the saas-bahu culture no longer remains the focus, it's content that's king on TV. "Even though there is a girl, there has to be a guy to take the relationship forward," he avers. Karan Grover, who plays the popular Dr Armaan in Dill Mill Gayye, is also happy with this trend and gives his own reason for the same. "Majority of the TV audience is women and I'm sure they would want to see more of men than women on TV," he says. Even though the men are getting their share of the pie now, they still have a long way to go, specially when it comes to marketing strategies. "The hoardings and promos still focus on the women," says Shahi. Agrees Pawan, "The guys are important to the show but the marketing still tilts in favour of the females. The ladies still drive the show there." Guess the fairer sex doesn't want to give up their crown so easily!

More Stories from this section
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ENTERTAINMENT/TV-/Step-aside-ladies/articleshow/4816031.cms

Article: Step Aside

--Pinky-- thumbnail

Prime time gets younger

SARAH SALVADORE, TNN 24 July 2009, 12:00am IST
They are young, cute and trendy. Apart from changing the look of Indian television, they have come as a much- needed breath of fresh air.
Miley Jab Hum Tum
Idealistic saas-bahu sagas are pass. The mantle has now passed on to the young and restless. A scan through the idiot box reinstates the fact that for the channel and producers, young is in.

If industry figures are anything to go by, the profile of viewers of Indian television has witnessed a considerable change. Today, the average age of the viewer is between 18 to 28 years, a huge change from the middle-aged TV buffs. With India emerging as a young nation, this has been recognised by channels and production houses who went on the offensive with an all new look and 'younger and fresher shows'.

If Sony launched new shows like Palampur Express and Bhaskar Bharati, Star One has Miley Jab Hum Tum, Love Ne Mila Di Jodi and Hum Dono Hai Alag Alag. Star TV too is not far behind with Mitwa Phool Kamal Ke, Saabki Laadli Bebo, Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai. Colors too have shows catering to the younger lot with Uttaran, Mere Ghar Aayee Ek Nanhi Pari and the latest, Mata Pitaah Ke Charno Mein Swarg. ZEE follows close behind with Pavitra Rishta and Agle Janam... "Today, the youth does not have to flip through
music channels for their daily dose of entertainment. GECs have a lot to offer," says actor Amir Ali from Bhaskar Bharati. "Earlier it was the mother and father who were the main protagonists of shows. But now, most stories revolve around the kids in the family," says Parul Chauhan from Sapna Babul Ka... Bidaai.

Producer Anuj Saxena believes that shows for young audiences have a better chance of survival in the race of TRPs. "Young India is the driving force behind most things today ' be it jobs or voting. Their influence on Indian television was bound to happen," quips Anuj.

Actors too seem to be reaping the benefits of the booming trend of youth-centric shows. "I'm 27, and in my show I play my age," says actor Karan Mehra from Yeh Ristha Kya Kehlata Hai, adding, "Thankfully, the year of donning the whitener is over." But there are also those who believe that airing young and fresher shows is not enough. "After a good start, one has to be careful that the shows do not fall into the trap of turning into yet another saas-bahu serial," says actor Gaurav Dixit who plays Raka in Seeta Aur Geeta.

With the Kanjeevaram sari giving way to minis, and kitchen politics making way for college romances, young India has a lot to watch out for on the idiot box.
Link:

Prime time gets younger - An article

--Pinky-- thumbnail
TV's hottest women
We see them everyday mostly clad in sari's and salwar kameezes, but when these actress project their true self they are sometimes hotter than their Bollywood counterparts. Here we list you in ascending order of who is the hottest of the lot!

Number 10: Parul Chauhan has undergone a huge makeover from her simple salwar kameez days to be a hip youngster. Looks like she hired a stylist who changed her completely from her hairstyle to dress selection to makeup!

Number 6: Sara Khan usually dresses to showoff her great figure ' be it a figure hugging dress or her sari ' she has been there done it all.

https://www.indya.com/fashion/article/gallery.aspx?aid=545

TV's hottest women- Parul & Sara (Article)

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
New entry in Bidaai

A new character called Kiran, played by Jenice Sobti, will soon make an entry in Bidaai. Maker of the show Rajan Shahi spoke tells us about it:
"I had not seen her work before, so her selection happened through auditions. Her character of Kiran is a cameo, but her role is very important and will bring in major twists to Ranveer's track. You need to wait and watch to see what happens." Though Rajan hasn't met Jenice yet, he says she is supposed to have a fresh, pleasant personality.

Jenice has done a few cameos before this, and a source tells us more about the coming twists in the storyline: "Ranveer has been getting calls from a girl for a long time, and Ragini and the family are suspicious of this. But Ranveer refuses to clarify anything with them, because of which he is facing problems in his marital life. Kiran and Ranveer have a past, which will shock Ranveer's family." Kiran's entry will take place next week, but the length of her cameo will depend on the response it gets.

Right now, Bidaai is mostly revolving around Alekh's recovery and a murder mystery that will reveal that Ranveer and Alekh are actually step-brothers. Viewers will also get to see who Ranveer's real parents are.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/July/News_20090729_144
v.flora thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Parul is down with chicken pox

Decrease text sizeIncrease text size
August 1st, 2009
By Our Correspondent

Of late, the focus in Bidaai has shifted from Ragini to Sadhana and Alek. The script has been altered to move Ragini's character to the background. This has been done because Parul Chauhan, who plays Ragini, is currently down with chicken pox and can't attend shoots. Parul confirms the news. "I have to take a lot of precaution and I am forced to stay indoors because it is a contagious disease which spreads fast. Besides taking treatment, I am also on a diet suggested by my doctor. I'm taking enough rest so that I can resume shoot as soon as possible," says the dusky girl who is getting lot of fan mail requesting her to return to the show at the earliest.

niveditha thumbnail
Sara Khan turns 19

Sara Khan known for her role of Sadhna in Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai will have a busy day today.Sara is celebrating her 19th birthday today with her friends and family.

Last year Sara had a lavish bash for her co-stars and friends." I will be working for the whole day tomorrow .There are no special plans as such, but in the evening there is a party. Few of my friends are coming for the party, even my mama is coming for my birthday tomorrow. However since it is a party for youngsters, so there would not be many family members."

Sara is not expecting many gifts this year. "I never expect anything, but I hope I will get something tomorrow. My birthdays are memorable so far, so I cannot pick one birthday which is memorable. My birthdays are always special for me." When asked about her beau she says " He has gifted me lots of things already, so I'm happy."

Ali too has special plans for Sara's birthday." We have arranged a party at Club Escape, we had thrown a bash there last year also. We have kept a Singh Is Kingg theme for the party, so everyone will have to dress in typical Punjabi clothes. We are going to spread a red carpet outside, and everyone will have to wear Pathanis, kurtas, we are going to give few gifts and even red, green stones to them. I have kept a special Punjabi DJ, we will have nagadas there. I am very excited about all this."

Unfortunately Ali will not get a chance to spend a day with his lady love." She will be shooting till late night today and I will be shooting tomorrow from morning. But in this entire week I have been giving her small gifts like soft toys, kitchens ,framed pictures and all that ,so she is happy," he sighed.

We wish Sara a very happy birthday!

As for her fans, Sara said, "I thank them from the bottom of my heart for loving me so much. Please keep supporting me."

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/August/News_20090805_19

niveditha thumbnail

Ranveer gets closer to the mystery..

The entry of the journalist Srikant, played by Ahmed Khan brings Ranveer closer to finding out the entire raaz in Star ...

niveditha thumbnail
Pracheen Chauhan, who has been working as an actor for past eight years feels lucky today. He was not so well recognized until he got Rajan Shahi's Swarg. Also not many people know that he was initially approached to play Alekh in Bidaai.

"He feels lucky as he waited long for a good show to come his way. Yes he was approached to play Alekh, but somehow at the last moment the role went to Angad.It was then when Rajan promised Pracheen that whenever he finds a suitable role he will surely cast him," chirps our source.

It was during the making of Swarg when Rajan approached him. "As Rajan promised him, he approached with the project of Swarg to Prracheen. Both sat down and discussed the script and immediately Pracheen said yes to Swarg," adds the source.

Pracheen's wait for the right opportunity ended with Subh in Maat Pitah Ke Charno Main Swarg and he owes this opportunity to Rajan Shahi, to whom he is aptly grateful.

http://news.desi**fo***.net/television/indian-television-news/1585-how-pracheen-got-his-swarg.html