Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 15 years ago

Nach Baliye making its comeback with a new jodi.... Well not a dancing jodi but a hosting jodi. Yes you got it right. Aamir and Sanjeeda have been replaced by Ali Merchant and his baliye Sara. Their chemistry, presence and the aura of their love has smitten every single person on the sets and everybody seems to be liking them.

To see more of them and Nach Baliye, keep logged into www. myspace. com/nb

niveditha thumbnail
ANGAD HASIJA SCALES A NEW HIGH
[01 Dec 2008]
IF I WERE MARRIED, I WOULD MAKE EVERYONE MEET MY WIFE

To portray the character of a child trapped in the body of a grown-up is no mean feat, especially when you have the appearance of a stud. Convincing depictions of schizophrenic, mentally-challenged and vulnerable male characters by men on Indian television have been extremely rare. Varun Badola first did a credible job in Koshish Ek Asha, and was followed years later by the likeable Sharad Malhotra who did something similar in Dulhann and won accolades.

Today, Angad Hasija, known more famously as the schizophrenic Alekh from Sapna Babul Ka' Bidaai is playing one of the most challenging, mentally-exhaustive roles on television, where always the strong-willed Tulsis and Parvatis have been ruling the roost.

Born and brought up in Chandigarh, this Punjabi munda has the looks, demeanour and talent, all put together to make the young, old and even the disinterested to sit up and take notice. It's his incredible destiny that has led him all the way from Punjab to the big glamour city of Mumbai and when you read about his journey, even you would admit that he has got to thank his good stars.

"I was doing interior designing in Punjab, where I used to design bungalows, hotels and offices. As a family business, we have a showroom of Italian paintings and decorations, which I used to also handle along with my mom. One day, we got the offer to sponsor the modelling event, Mr. North. When people saw me, they asked me to participate in it. At that time, I wasn't really interested. But it was my mother who asked them to take me and there they gave me a 15-day training after which I actually won the pageant."

Everything after that happened in hurry and it seemed almost dream-like to Angad. It was that win that led him to gain interest into the world of modelling and subsequently acting. Soon he was a part of fashion shows and music videos, especially the latter. "I have done 50 Punjabi music videos and most of them are hits," he states with pride.

So you must be wondering, how did a Punjabi music video star from a small town land up doing mainstream soap operas on prime time television? During his modelling days in Chandigarh, Angad was offered a film role, for which he had to come down to Mumbai, to shoot. It was an exciting turn in his life and so he decided to shift to the island city.

"At that time, I really didn't know that there were A-grade and B-grade kind of films. I was just happy that I was going to act in a film. But unfortunately, the film which I signed was a B-grade one and it was never made due to financial crunches." With starry-eyed dreams of making a mark in Bollywood, Angad was left to help himself in the big city, where he continued doing modelling assignments to earn a living.

It was a co-ordinator friend who made him meet the director of 'Bidaai, Rajan Shahi. "When I went to meet Rajan, they were auditioning people for the role of Alekh. So my friend asked him if I could audition too. But when Rajan saw me, he was shocked. They wanted an innocent looking boy and here I was with long hair, grungy looks and a beefed-up body!

He told my friend, 'This man is a stud; how can he play Alekh?' Even I thought what he said was right and wanted to return. But my friend was adamant and he made me cut my hair short, remove my stubble, dressed me up in simple clothes and presented me in front of Rajan Shahi again. This time when he saw me, he was completely flabbergasted. And then I was asked to audition for Alekh's role."

The rest, as they say, is history. Angad was called and informed that he had been selected and on the same day, he was asked to report on the sets to shoot. It was his destiny that led him to play the lead on television's most popular show right now.

He maybe adored as Alekh today, but initially, it wasn't easy for Angad to play his character to the T. "I was a body-builder, and Sara (Khan) whom I am cast opposite, is petite. So I was asked to reduce my weight in one week's time. It wasn't easy to cut down in such a short spell and I went on a crash diet. It was horrible dieting. I stopped eating lunch, dinner and was on juices and fruits. But I would have done anything for the role."

For him, it was a dream role. Considering where he came from, he was ready to do anything to get good work. And his first show 'Bidaai, was a sure-shot ticket to success.

As much as we like him on the screen, Angad himself loves every moment of playing the naive Alekh and raves about it. "It's the best role I could have asked for. I had got many other offers but I always wanted to do something different and challenging. When I heard about this character for the first time, I desperately wanted to do it."

Crash dieting, changing his entire lifestyle and shooting long hours became a part of his life when he started off. "I wanted to just prove myself. 'Bidaai is a big project so there was always this pressure on me to perform well. For the first whole month of shooting, I couldn't sleep at all due to the responsibility," he reminisces.

In real life, Angad has been linked to his on-screen partner, Sara Khan who plays the role of his wife Sadhana in 'Bidaai. Now Sara is dating Ali Merchant, but there were strong rumours of them being a couple. Angad dismisses them instantaneously and talks about Sara.

"It is a norm for people to link up the lead pair in any show, thinking that there would be something going on between the two, especially if both of them are single. At that time, both Sara and I were single, so that's why such rumours started.

But there is no truth to them. Besides, Sara is just 18 and too young for me," he says. And it wasn't only Sara; there is also the other young lead in the show, Parul Chauhan, whom he was linked with. Angad laughs as he tells me, "Once Sara started dating Ali, the focus shifted on Parul and then we were linked because she is also single!"

Of all the speculations, perhaps the most bizarre rumour that one must have heard about Angad is that he is married. There is never any smoke without fire. We find out if there is any truth to this. "What are you saying? I am hearing something like this for the first time!" he exclaims and breaks into fits of laughter. Regaining his posture, he clears the air. "I am not married at all. I am just 23 years old. If I were married, I would make everyone meet my wife," he adds coyly.

Moving on from the absurd rumours that he gets to hear about himself, Angad talks about not doing any other show on television besides 'Bidaai, in spite of being popular amongst the masses. It's not like he isn't getting good offers from other production houses. Due to his contract, he cannot take up any other show. But Angad is not even complaining. In fact, he is more than happy with Alekh's role and considers his plate full to the brim. "I would rather concentrate on just one show."

What if he gets a good offer from someone like Ekta Kapoor? "I won't work with her," he says, and then hastily adds to prevent making any detrimental comments, "I mean, right now, I want to create an image. I will work with other production houses too, but not now. Recently I was also offered a lead role in a film, from a good banner. But I didn't take it up. I can speak to the producers of 'Bidaai about the contract as they are very accommodating, but I don't need to do that right now."

It's hard to believe the timid, soft-spoken and friendly Angad when he confesses to me that he doesn't have a girlfriend. "I am busy with my work at the moment. You know, I was offered the reality show, Nach Baliye 4, but I couldn't take it up even though I love dancing as I didn't have a baliye. But I don't want to date just for the heck of taking part in it," he puts it simply. Like his career, he would rather trust his love life too in the hands of his blessed fortunes.

*BY PURVAJA SAWANT

https://stardust.co.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3226&Itemid=224

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1083826

Edited by pinkykhan - 15 years ago
niveditha thumbnail

Kinshuk Mahajan on 'Monday Blues'
by Vidhya Krishnan
Dec 01, 2008, Bangalore

It takes a while to kick-start the week for a lot of people and most experience the Monday blues. For our weekly column, 'Monday Blues', we caught up with Kinshuk Mahajan to get his views on the subject.

Do you have Monday blues?
Honestly speaking, I used to have the Monday blues before I came to this field but not anymore. I sometimes can't differentiate between a weekday and a weekend. We work day and night sometimes. So, it all depends on the story and its track.

So how do you feel on a Monday?
All days are the same for me and it doesn't make a difference to me.

What have you planned for the week?
I really haven't planned anything and I do the planning only during my offs. I have to think it over but I always make sure to maintain a good lifestyle balance.

Three tips to beat Monday blues…
~ Treat all days equally but work hard and keep it cool.
~ Just don't consider these blues a big deal and that Mondays are the start of the week; it is all psychological.
~ Keep some time to party on Mondays.

http://www.tellywatch.com/telly_columns/kinshuk_mahajan_monday_blues/december-01-2008/kinshuk_mahajan_monday_blues_column.html
niveditha thumbnail
Ragini to marry Ranbir?

There's good news for all the Bidaai fans. Ranbir and Ragini will finally get together and the viewers will get to see it happen this week.

Parul how ever preferred to remain tight lipped. "We have not shot for any such sequence till now, so I really don't know" she says.
It has been over three months since the two parted ways. Their love initially started with a phone call when Ragini who was trying to call one of her friends mistakably ended up calling Ranbir. Soon after the friendship between the two blossomed into love although they hadn't even seen each other. Then they met for the first time. And it was difficult for the boy to believe that the girl whom he loved was none other than his sister-in-law's dark complexioned sister Ragini. It took some time for him to digest that but soon he made up his mind and decided to marry his love. But now they are not getting the consent from their families.

In the serial right now, Ragini is struggling to be with her love. She is unable to convince her parents to let her marry Ranbir and has finally decided to sacrifice her love for her family. She has agreed to tie the knot with Shishir, a family friend.

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/December/News_20081203_19

• Vandana Shukla, Hill Road Media
  • Wednesday, December 03, 2008

• https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1084463

--Pinky-- thumbnail
    Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Back to the Grind of Nach Baliye...

Entry of a celebrity jodi thro' Wild Card, new hosts and a surprise elimination!! All this and much more for our ...

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1084455

--Pinky-- thumbnail
    Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
    niveditha thumbnail
    niveditha thumbnail
    After Rubi, Ali Merchant turns host

After his show Rubi winding up on 9X, Ali Merchant is set to entertain his fans in a new role- that of a host. Ali will host two special episodes of Nach Baliye with his girlfriend Sara Khan.
    Merchant is thrilled about the opportunity saying, "I just love hosting. It has always been my passion. This is the first time that Sara and I will be seen together onscreen which makes it even more special."
    And although Ali would love to host full-time, it is Sara's schedule that did not permit them to do more episodes for Nach Baliye. He says, "Sara is doing a daily, where she has to shoot for most of the day so that, in addition to a reality show, is taxing for her. Since every 2 episodes of Nach Baliye has a theme, we are here as guest hosts."

The last time we spoke to the actor, he told us that he was very comfortable dancing. Why is he hosting then? Ali says, "That was up to the channel to decide. We were asked to host, so we went for it. Also, dancing might have been a problem as you need a minimum of 6-7 hours of practice for a single dance sequence. This wouldn't be possible for Sara."

Ali started his career hosting and is always willing to return to his roots. "Jay and I began our careers doing live anchoring for Zee's Play TV. We did that for about a year. I've hosted about 12000-15000 shows and I am just superb at it!" the actor boasts. At the same time, Ali is a little worried about hosting with his lady love. "Coordination mein thodi problem thi, but we share an excellent chemistry," he says.

Merchant says he is big Hussain fan, calling the actor 'mindblowing'. He also praises the present Nach Baliye hosts Aamir and Sanjeeda saying, "They have been getting better and better every episode."

According to Ali, there are a few qualities that every good host should possess. He says, "A host should make everybody get in to groove. He should have a lot of energy as he is responsible for 30% of the TRPs of the show. He should be trained because it is him who is responsible for holding the audience's attention. And above all, he should be a patient listener."

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/December/News_20081204_26

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1085192

niveditha thumbnail
    Seema and Avinash patch up

A few weeks ago we spoke to Avinash Wadhawa and Seema Kapoor about their rocky off-screen relationship. Seema and Avinash play husband and wife on the television serial Bidaai but off-camera they had stopped talking to each other completely.
    The latest from the sets is that the co-stars have finally put their differences behind them. Avinash says, "When news got about the last time, everyone from the media called us. We laughed it off because it was blown way out of proportion. Sometimes, your colleague is not in a good mood and when you approach him or her, that person does not respond normally. You may think that your colleague is being rude to you but it is just a matter of perception. Maybe it was just a rare instance that the person was aloof."
    Even so, Avinash is glad that the minor misunderstanding is behind him. "We have now started talking normally to each other and are on friendly terms. It's not that we stopped talking but we were just not in the mood to do so. We hugged each other and patched things up. At present, we often chat as well!"

Seema plays the role of Vasundhara Rajvansh while Avinash plays the role of Vashu Rajvansh, who are the in-laws of Sadhana (Sara Khan), in Bidaai. It was said that their fight was due to ego hassles. It was at director Rajan Shahi's birthday bash on December 2 that the both of them decided to resolve their issues.

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/December/News_20081204_28

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1085227

214926 thumbnail
    Surprise birthday bash for Rajan Shahi

by Vidhya Krishnan

Dec 03, 2008, Bangalore

It is the birthday of 'Bidaai' producer Rajan Shahi today. For this occasion, his 'Sapna Babul Ka…Bidaai' and 'Yeh rishtaa kya kehalaata hai' unit planned a surprise birthday party for him last night. He was brought to the venue without any clue about what awaited him. We caught up with the birthday boy to find out about the celebrations and more about his big day.

"I was surprised by my unit yesterday night," said Rajan. "I was called by my financial head Ranjit to finalise some deal. I was wondering why he wanted to discuss it at that late hour but he convinced me. I had no clue about the surprise in store. As soon as we reached the spot, I saw my mother walking and a few others and guessed there was some celebration. I was moved by this gesture of my team…the effort that they have taken in organising is tremendous. I got a lot of gifts too which are really precious and I was taken aback indeed. The pain that they took to call people and make the arrangements was simply very moving. Though I was not in a mood to party, people convinced me that they shared the same sentiments and wanted to celebrate the day. We partied until 2.30 at night and had a very good time."

He continued: "I would like to say that it is not the money that I have earned but the love that I get from people which is more valuable. These days when there is so much negativity within the unit, I get this genuine love from people and I feel blessed. That is the boost for me and that is what keeps me going in life."

He added: "That is how last night was celebrated and I plan to spend my day chilling with my friends and doing no work. A birthday is just like any other normal day to me but I do feel a little enthusiastic on this day. I just wish on my birthday that work goes well and hope that 'Bidaai' sustains. I want to give priority to my work and I am looking forward to the successful launch of my new show. I am quite excited about it. We have really worked hard for it and the efforts are simply tremendous. I hope everything pays off."

The complete unit of 'Sapna Babul Ka…Bidaai' and new show 'Yeh Ristha Kya Kehlata Hai' was present. His friends were also there, including Sara Khan, Parul Chauhan, Kinshuk Mahajan, Angad Hasija, Alok Nath with his wife, Avinash Wadhawan with his wife, Ashita Dhawan, Vimarsh Roshan, Amardeep Jha, Vibha Chibber, Seema Kapoor with her husband Amit, and Natasha Rana with her husband Deepraz Rana. Other actors like Lataa Sabharwal, Vishal Singh, Romit Raj, Sanjiv Seth, Kshiti Jog, Shekhar Shukla, Yatin Karyekar, Elizzea and Smriti Mohan were also present. The party was held at 'Fever', a nightspot in Malad on Tuesday night. Rajan was heard acknowledging his mom Deepa Shahi's contribution in his life and was very happy about her presence.

On behalf of the Tellywatch team, we greet Rajan Shahi on his birthday and wish him a successful year ahead.

link: http://www.tellywatch.com/telly_news/rajan_shahi_birthday_bash/december-03-2008/rajan_shahi_birthday_bash_celebrations_surprise_unit_tema_bidaai_yeh_rishtaa_kya_kehalata_hai.html