Users

Frequent Posters

ANJANA thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Remote control junkies, rejoice!
26 Nov 2008, 0000 hrs IST, AMRITA MULCHANDANI , TNN
Print Comment Text:
For all you soap-box viewers who've missed your daily dose of drama, intrigue and realism because of the ongoing strike called by the Federation of
A still from Kasamh Se
Western India Cine Employees (FWICE) and the Producer's Guild, there's good news.

Finally the strike has been called off. The FWICE (which represents over 35,000 television workers) has signed a MoU with the Producers' Guild, in which they have agreed that workers will move from a per-day payment system to a monthly salary structure.

While appropriate changes have been made in the new contract, how tough will it be for the shows to grab eyeballs again? According to reports there was a 25 per cent drop in viewership in general entertainment channels (GECs) in the last few weeks.

Sanjay Upadhyay, head of fiction, Sony says, "These weeks were gruelling for all broadcasters. But we all stood by each other." However, the actual date when fresh episodes of the shows will air isn't decided yet. Adds Upadhyay, "We will resume the new content of the current shows soon. Three weeks is too short a time to start working on new shows. There has been a drop in viewership, but the exact figures aren't with us. We showed repeat telecasts of shows, but the fall in TRPs is marginal."

Some channels had their shows reach a 'story peak' before the strike, so the TRPs for these shows should be high when their fresh episodes are telecast again. Vivek Bahl, creative head of Star Plus says, "Our two leading shows stopped at a 'high point'. We plan to push the shows on that aspect. Our scripts are written in well advance, so we don't plan major changes. I am hoping that content alone will attract the audience." Some channels have big plans of launching new shows. "We will start fresh shows but the date is not fixed. We will also have new packaging and 'high points' (in the storyline) that will hype the shows. The fall in viewership during the period of strike was expected," says Zee TV business head, Tarun Mehra.

Channels' heads are thinking of ways to woo advertisers back (some had even shifted loyalties to news, lifestyle and sports channels). "All channels are suffering from low TRPs. We don't want to talk about them. There has been a loss of revenue and advertisers are backing out. But once we are back with fresh episodes we will strike a good deal. We'll have new shows to replace the ones that are off air. The date to show fresh episodes is not finalised yet," adds Yash Khanna, EVP, Star Plus.

What changes do producers plan to make in their shows to attract audience? "We are planning major changes in the scripts. The story line is going for a big twist. I am glad that things will be more organised and we have a positive start," shares Hemal Thakkar, producer of Jeevan Saathi and Teen Bahuraniyan.

Some producers had also started shooting outside Maharastra. "We have shot in Gujarat and will continue to do so. Today producers are shooting all over India and aren't limiting themselves to Mumbai anymore," avers Thakkar. But the location of a show is something that the "producers will decide as per storyline demands," points out Khanna.

So what lies ahead? "We are working hard on our scripts and making creative changes. Now, it's time to check the loyalty of our audience," elaborates Rajan Shahi, producer and series director, Sapna Babul Ka... Bidaai. Today even the workers are a content lot. Says Thakkar: "There is a minimum hike of 40 per cent in the workers' salary which is handsome."
As long as the 'striking episode' yields better shows (since production houses had time to work on their scripts), satisfied actors (back from their much wanted 'break') higher ad revenues and TRPs, it would have been worth it all.
niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
TV stars in a state of shock

The terrorist attacks have shaken the city. Though filming for serials is on as usual, members of the small screen express their fear, shock and hope.
Avika Gor (Anandi of Balika Vadhu) thinks Mumbai is going through a very bad phase. "It is the worst phase for all Mumbaikars; it is one of the most shocking things I've ever seen and heard! All I can say and hope is that this issue gets solved and settled as soon as possible and Mumbai gets it's lost pace back"
Sara Khan (Sadhna of Bidaai) is scared. "I am very scared! I am seeing something like this for the first time in a city like Mumbai; I always thought Mumbai was very safe". She feels that this incident has proved that the hotels in the city are also not safe anymore.

Neha Bamb (Maahi of Maayka) is shocked. "It's damn sad and shocking to see such a situation in Mumbai even though this is not the first time. Some victims would have been on their way home from work. It'll be so shocking and unexpected for their families to believe and accept that their beloved will never return! Now there is no certainty whether we will return home or not. The worst and the most unfortunate part is that innocent people and migrants from the other countries have been targeted without any reason." She feels that no place in the city is safe "not even our houses!"

Delnaz Paul is too shaken for words. "I am not in a state of mind to say anything because of all this. Mumbai is not safe anymore, anything can happen anywhere now .We never expected that five star hotels would have to face such a situation .It is too much now and I guess one day will come when people will not be scared of anything. If tomorrow something like this happens again then we all will ignore it and will continue with our normal lives. There is no place left now which is completely safe and immune to attacks."

Gavie Chanchal (Rajbir of Mohe Rang De) is praying for everything to return to normal." We are shooting today; the news is very sad and devastating. I pray everything returns to normal. God bless the affected ones. As far as security is concerned, there is nothing to say as it is very poor and the intelligence is zero.1.5 lakh English men ruled on 30 crore people for 200 years and we are talking about security?"

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/November/News_20081128_151

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1082249

Edited by pinkykhan - 15 years ago
niveditha thumbnail
The show's going on'

The recent attacks on Mumbai didn't stop the filming of TV serials as the time lost during the TV strike had to be made up for. Moreover, actors don't think the city is safe anymore.

Angad Hasija (Alekh of Bidaai) says, "We were shooting in the suburbs yesterday, and thank God it is pretty safe there. Actually we have already wasted 15 days due to the strike and we do not have any bank episodes. Moreover, telecast of the fresh episodes is also starting on Monday .We reached a little late on the sets .Then in the evening everyone's families and friends started calling, asking us to return home, so we packed up around 7.30 p.m. which is early considering we usually shoot for twelve hours straight."
Speaking about safety, he says,"On the sets we had our regular watchman for security, but I do not think that Mumbai is safe anymore now."

Sharad Malhotra (Amar of Banoo Main Teri Dulhann) says "I was shooting in Filmcity yesterday (November 27). The production house actually called us and told us that we would be shooting. So we had to go for the shoot. It was mainly because we had no bank of episodes at all. I told them that as soon as it starts getting dark, we should all pack up and go home for everyone's safety. There were six artists who were shooting. I left the set around 6.30 in the evening."

Sharad thinks the world is now unsafe. "I think no place in the world is safe, it can happen anywhere and everywhere. Mumbai however has the habit of bouncing back, so I guess in the next two days it will be back to normal."

Moreover shootings for Saat Phere, Mohe Rang De, Balika Vadhu and others were on yesterday and will continue today as well as they have to make up for the loss caused due to the recent strike.

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/November/News_20081128_154

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1082295

--Pinky-- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Curtains down on over 30 telly shows

Recession, poor TRPs mean bad news for mediocre shows and certain TV channels

ROSHNI K OLIVERA Times News Network

There's trouble in Tellyland! Everyone's worried about their jobs right from actors to technicians. Reason? About 30 shows are scheduled to go off air in the next few months across all channels. That's the buzz (though, rumours say as many as 50 shows may face the axe) and it's naturally spreading panic.
With recession, the telly industry too has been hit badly. Two channels ' one a general entertainment channel and another, a news channel ' are already readying for packup. Broadcasters are preparing themselves for dull ad growth rates in the next few quarters. Their only hope is content, and creative heads are trying every stunt in the book to grab eyeballs.
SVP and Senior Creative Director of a top channel Anupama Mandloi told BT, "We have been in the process of refreshing and re-energising the channel for a while now. A couple of the older, long running shows that had become tired and fatigued have been replaced by newer shows which the viewers have responded well to. Our afternoons have also gone through changes and the viewers have warmed up to our shows. The effort is to constantly bring something fresh and exciting to the viewers."
The focus on TRPs is now more than ever before. Shows that are not able to rake in the TRPs are being shown the door. Channels would rather come out with
newer
programmes.
"It's anyday better to try something new than flag a dead horse," observes a channel official.
Producers are all tight-lipped about the fate of their serials and are not wanting to reveal whether they have been asked to wind up. But the fact is that many have been given a stipulated period so that they can take their shows to a logical ending. Shows like Chakde Bachche, Jai Durga Maa, Waaris are set to wrap up.
There's a positive side to all this too. Producerdirector Rajan Shahi of Bidaai fame says the shake-up will put an end to mediocrity. "Past year or so with so many channels coming up there was a lot of work. Anyone who could read a script could become a creative head! Now the emphasis will be on good work. I used to have a lot of offers for shows, but I've always believed in quality over quantity. Yes, in this market crunch and recession time, many shows will be eased out. Now it's going to be survival of the fittest!"
Creative director Sandiip Sikcand adds, "It's about time that television creativity is more related to creativity than just money. So also, the existing herd mentality has to change. We have to think differently, think out of the box."

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1081972

--Pinky-- thumbnail

Star Plus offers twists galore...

Get an insight on the high points to come, in your favorite Star Plus shows, as fresh content kicks-off from ...

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1081642

--Pinky-- thumbnail
Served 'afresh'at prime time
1 Dec 2008, 0000 hrs IST, SHRUTI JAMBHEKAR,TNN

Today fresh episodes of soaps are back on air after the three-week long television strike. A lot of channels and producers have used this time to rework on content and script changes.

But are our soaps really going to be refreshingly different? We try to think of stereotypes in shows that should be permanently junked to help

No Flash Forwards Please
Okay, we know generation leaps are the 'best' way to introduce new characters in a show that's running out of steam (and TRPs). But can one justify 'young' parents who don't look convincing in their designer suits and sarees in a changed storyline? Think of the many occasions when actors have refused to age – Amarr Upadhay, Roshni Chopra, Rucha Gujrati, Mandira Bedi – and quit the shows to be replaced by someone else. Why can't our soap-makers go for 'flashbacks' instead. Says actor Rajiv Paul, "It will give a younger look to the soap and none of the actors will complain of 'not acting their age'. Actors will not have to sport grey hair or spectacles or dress up to look older. It will work wonderfully, only it's an experiment that hasn't been done yet."

Wither realism?
Ever wondered why some characters in television shows seem so unreal? How many of us ever meet these picture-perfect big families? Or do we know scheming relatives who simply have nothing else to do but plot someone else's downfall? Or see silk saree clad, mangalsutra flaunting bahus and betis cooking dutifully and are the epitome of Indian womanhood? Then there are business tycoons who never work for a living but still win business deals worth crores. Have any of us actually met loud, manipulative women like Sindhura, Jigyasa etc in real life? Renowned TV serial director Romesh Kalra admits that he believes in "the simplicity of a character. It is important to have a powerful character to hold a serial. Glamour might be important, but you need performances too. There should be some connect with reality."

It's Not Fair
Two years ago, it was an experiment that worked. When Saloni (Rajshree Thakur in Saat Phere) played the dark girl who finds her Prince Charming in a fair, handsome dream guy, it was the perfect fairytale that one could think of. Oh, yes, the show also talked about discrimination against 'dark skin' and problems of the Indian woman who's reached a marriageable age and is dark-skinned. The audience lapped it up. So did soapmakers. So, today there are at least two more shows on 'dark skinned' girls and the stigma they face on a day-to-day basis. Clearly, the makers haven't looked around and seen real people who are dusky and mighty successful in life!

Not Without My Daughter
Television shows don't believe in deviating too much from the tried-and-tested. At last count, every general entertainment channel has a show on 'betis' of a marriageable age, from middle class families. The stereotypes are predictable – the honest dad, the feisty youngest daughter (the elder siblings have to be docile) and the plain Jane daughter. New feminists of the world might think that their fraternity has been liberated years ago, but on the small screen, daughters are still a 'burden' and wait to meet their Mr Right, probably in an arranged match.

Seasonal Breaks
It's a formula that works wonderfully in the UK and the US. In India, seldom do you have seasonal returns of fiction-based shows. There are never-ending soap sagas which air for seven-eight years until they reach a point of saturation and are pulled off.
Actress Bhairavi Raichura feels, "If there have been daily soaps that worked for seven-eight years, we can try to do seasonal fiction shows here. Producers and directors must not drag the story beyond saturation point.Rather a sensible ending would work." If adapting concepts can work wonders for reality shows, can we do the same for fiction shows? Naman Shaw says, "We must keep trying for new concepts which may be from serials like Friends or Desperate Housewives as the social dramas have become so boring to look at or even act in."
Our wishlist is rather long and probably never-ending too. But can our producers, directors realise that soap-addicts too appreciate quality and out-of-the-box content. As producer-Actor JD Majethia shares, "The content of a show has to be good if we want eyeballs. We should never compromise on quality."

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Served_afreshat_prime_time/rssarticleshow/3775990.cms

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1083124

niveditha thumbnail

I never miss my workouts, says Angad Hasija
by Vidhya Krishnan
Dec 01, 2008, Bangalore

Fitness plays a major role in our lives; staying fit and healthy has become essential these days and the pressure is on for celebrities. Staying in shape is a must for those in the public eye ' so, it is that time of the week when we see what they are doing to win the battle of the bulge. For our Tellywatch column on fitness, Angad Hasija talks about fitness and healthy living.

My workout regime'I am very regular as far as my workout is concerned and I will never miss my workouts unless I really don't have the time for it. I work out every single day for two to three hours. I do a mix of cardio and weights by keeping the cardio before and after weights. I do like jogging as well but I don't get the time for it.

My happiness quotient'it is the mix of diet and exercise that works and that is what I have been following all throughout. It has become a habit for me and I keep the right balance of it.

My daily diet'I don't follow a regular pattern as far as my eating habits are concerned. But I make sure to eat small meals every two hours and keep it very light as the day progresses. I take juice, salads, fruits, muesli, boiled vegetables, two chapathis, curds and milk. I am very diet-conscious and am very choosy about what I eat. Once a week, I take it easy and relax on my diet.

On a rainy day, my idea of a workout would be'no matter what, I will never miss my workouts. Even when I am stressed or feeling sleepy or whatever may be the reason, I make it a point to be regular in my workouts.

My idea of relaxation'I feel relaxed after workouts; I need to pamper myself quite often by going to spas and taking a good massage; especially a head massage which is very relaxing.

Size zero to you is'nothing. I don't buy the idea.

I crave for'junk food but I am very determined to keep a control on my food habits. I consciously avoid eating unhealthy as far as possible since I have strong willpower. However, I do take it easy once a week.

A lifestyle change I'm trying to make'from the time I came into this profession, I am having a neat lifestyle. Everything is going perfectly and I love the way it is.

Fitness mantra''eat healthy'live healthy'.

Keep tuning in to Tellywatch for more fitness tips from your beloved TV celebrities.

https://www.tellywatch.com/telly_columns/angad_hasija_fitness/december-01-2008/angad_hasija_fitness_health_workout_diet_column.html

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1083267

ANJANA thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
New shows starting today

Fresh episodes will aired on television from today (December 1).We take a look at new shows which premiere tonight as well as what you can look forward to from the top shows.

Premiering Tonight

Three new shows will premiere tonight - Aap Ki Kacheri with Kiran Bedi, Jane Kya Baat Hui and Uttaran.

Aap Ki Kacheri with Kiran Bedi

This show will be replacing Star Plus' mega show Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi which went off the air on November 6. Aap Ki Kacheri will showcase various social problems of the common man with supercop Kiran Bedi playing judge.

Jane Kya Baat Hui

Revolving around a happily married couple played by Shweta Tiwari and Sanjit Bedi, this show deals with infidelity and what happens when a young musician played by Abhinav Shukla comes to live with them. The show is said to have a similar storyline of film Astitva.

Uttaran

Replacing Bigg Boss, Uttaran is the story of a girl called Iccha, whose mother is a maid and struggles to look after her daughter as a single mother. It plays around the mother daughter relationship.

Looking ahead in the Top Shows

Bidaai

The show will have new twist. The heartbroken Ragini is ready to get married to a boy which her parents have chosen for her but soon Ranbir will get back to her and the couple is expected to get married.

Saat Phere

Nahar who is terminally ill ness will try to commit suicide. His friend, Dr. Varun will convince him that his illness in not curable and that is why he will choose to commit suicide.

Kis Desh Main Hai Mera Dil

When the shows went off, wedding preparations of Vishakha were going on in the show and so when they return the grand wedding will take place. But of course a twist in the plot will follow soon.

Raja Ki Aayegi Barat

After facing many obstacles in their love life, Prince Yudhishthir and Rani will get married in the show. This big fat wedding will go on for a week.

Dulhann

A new look has been given the show. The buzz suggests that Amar will have a huge accident in the show and it will force Divya to come close to Amar again.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/December/News_20081201_6

--Pinky-- thumbnail

Kinshuk Mahajan on 'Monday Blues'
by Vidhya Krishnan
Dec 01, 2008, Bangalore

It takes a while to kick-start the week for a lot of people and most experience the Monday blues. For our weekly column, 'Monday Blues', we caught up with Kinshuk Mahajan to get his views on the subject.

Do you have Monday blues?
Honestly speaking, I used to have the Monday blues before I came to this field but not anymore. I sometimes can't differentiate between a weekday and a weekend. We work day and night sometimes. So, it all depends on the story and its track.

So how do you feel on a Monday?
All days are the same for me and it doesn't make a difference to me.

What have you planned for the week?
I really haven't planned anything and I do the planning only during my offs. I have to think it over but I always make sure to maintain a good lifestyle balance.

Three tips to beat Monday blues…
~ Treat all days equally but work hard and keep it cool.
~ Just don't consider these blues a big deal and that Mondays are the start of the week; it is all psychological.
~ Keep some time to party on Mondays.

Page 1 of 1

--Pinky-- thumbnail

Ashita Dhawan says 'TGIF'
by Vidhya Krishnan
Nov 28, 2008, Bangalore

It is a huge relief for most of us when the weekend approaches. It is just as much a relief for TV stars since their hectic schedules load up their week. For our weekend column 'TGIF' (Thank God it's Friday), Ashita Dhawan talks about her weekend plans, among other things.

My plans for this weekend…I have not planned anything because of the whole situation in Mumbai. It is so depressing and I, as a citizen, feel responsible for my fellow countrymen. There is a big crisis here but still the shooting will go on for extended hours. I am just looking forward to everything getting settled peacefully. This weekend of mine will be spent in prayers.

An ideal weekend for me…I would prefer getting away with my family or friends to some hill station or any such getaway. I just need some good company and I can chill out like crazy.

My weekends are…I generally go clubbing on Saturday nights or watch movies. I am more of a night person, so I spend half the day sleeping and rest of the time outside.

Indoors or outdoors for me…I am not that particular and quite balanced that way. But definitely on Saturdays, I need to be outdoors. However, I don't mind being indoors on Sundays.

A no-no on weekends…I would mostly not be at home and make sure not to get into any fights, so that it doesn't ruin my weekend.

One crazy thing that I would do on a weekend…I don't do anything wild or weird but I have gone for midnight buffets, which I consider quite crazy.

Keep checking this space to know more about what your favourite TV