Views

Users

Frequent Posters

214926 thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

TV stars on their fashion faux pas
by Vidhya Krishnan
Nov 20, 2008, Bangalore

Oops… it is really embarrassing to experience a fashion faux pas especially if you are a celebrity. We caught up with a few of our TV stars to find out about such experiences and how they handled it. Get the inside scoop in this Tellywatch exclusive.

Sara Khan – It was the first party of 'Bidaai' and we were told about it. But Parul and I had forgotten about the party and had dressed very casually for the occasion. I was dressed in a black and yellow pajama kurta. It was only after seeing everybody did we realise that there was a party. For some time, Parul and I were teased by the others but later it was okay.

link: http://www.tellywatch.com/telly_columns/fashion_faux_pas_tv_stars/november-20-2008/fashion_faux_pas_tv_stars_scoop_embarassing_moments.html

214926 thumbnail
TV soaps imbroglio: Advertisers back broadcasters
Sunday, November 16, 2008 21:03 [IST]

New Delhi: In a fillip to TV channels during the ongoing impasse between producers and cine workers, which has resulted in broadcasters airing re-runs of soap operas, advertisers apex body has asked its members not to ask for a tariff cut immediately.

"We have written to our members and asked them to support the broadcasters. We are hopeful of arriving at a solution before November 20 the and if not then we will sit down then and think of something," Advertising Agencies Association of India President Madhukar Kamath said.

General entertainment channels (GECs) have been airing re-runs of popular daily soaps as the spat between the apex body of cine workers, the Federation of Western India Cine Employees (FWICE) and the producers of the shows on wage hikes continues. The producers had passed on the demand to the broadcasters, who turned down the request.

With TRPs falling, there has been speculation that advertisers would ask the broadcasters to cut tariffs. Advertisers, who pay between Rs 20,000 and Rs 2 lakh for 10 seconds of commercial air-time on Hindi GECs, might also begin looking at sports and news channels as alternate options if the spat continues.

"The all repeat schedule will naturally impact the audience measurement numbers. We would not like any of you to react in haste and pull out or cancel any current bookings, nor seek any price reductions for the first ten days starting from November 10," the letter by AAAI to its members said.

Broadcasters had steadfastly refused to producers demand of hiking charges for the content they provide following strike by cine workers who were asking for raise in their wages.

This has resulted in a deadlock between the three parties adding to the woes of the audiences who are not getting their daily dose of the soaps.

"We were never a party to the dispute that relates to the terms and conditions on which producers engage cine workers for the shows they produce for various broadcasters," broadcasters had said in a joint letter to the producers.

The television channels are hoping that the matter is resolved at the earliest.

"We are reviewing the situation everyday and are in constant touch with both the advertisers and the producers. We are actively working for finding a solution but a hike is not in the offering," Sony Entertainment Television Executive Vice-President and Business Head Albert Almeida said.

Producers on the other hand, while empathising with the demand of FWICE, said the timing was not right.

"Some of the demands may be right but the timing is not, keeping in mind the ongoing economic meltdown across sectors. We are after all a part of the services sector," Creative Eye Chief Executive Officer Dheeraj Kumar said.

Kumar was of the view that a mutually agreed hike can be worked at "but not to the extent of a wage tariff hike".

With no solutions in sight immediately, viewers will be have to do with repeat telecasts for at least the month-end.

link: http://movies.indiainfo.com/2008/11/16/0811162115_tv_soaps_imbroglio_advertisers_back_broadcasters.html
--Pinky-- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

The strike and settlement go hand in hand

Even after the strike came to an end it was followed by yet another strike! This time it was the sound recorders, who are still not happy with their salary hike. However, unlike the earlier one this strike was short lived.

On behalf of the workers and producers, FWICE (Federation of Western India Cine Employees) signed an agreement on Wednesday which had all the clauses and the increased pay of the people. According to the sources, soon after the strike got over yesterday, there were some fractions of people (sound recorders) who did not agree with what their leaders had signed. Objecting this, all the sound recorders had a meeting where they decided to keep mum till their demands were met.

With so many losses already being endured by the small screen industry, producers are worried about the strike. Ratna Sinha, the producer of Babul Ka Aangan, was hoping the strike to get over by the end of the day. He says, "We've suffered enough losses, I just hope it gets over very soon."

Suhas Rane, one of the sound recorders says, "It all happened due to some misunderstandings between group leader and the sound recorders." Sound recorders demanded for a hike raising their wages to Rs.51, 000 on a monthly basis, which has now been settled at 48,000 per month including Rs. 100 as the conveyance of each day. For the boom man, it has increased to Rs. 21, 000 which too includes conveyance charges of Rs. 100 daily.

There are two basic units in the television industry; 'Cameras' which capture the visuals and second are the 'Recorders' that capture sound. Sound recorders hence play a very important role in the industry.

With sound recorders calling off their strike, shooting are most likely to start by today evening or tomorrow. This will further enable the channel to keep their viewers entertained from Monday with brand new episodes.

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/November/News_20081120_107

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1079342

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Kinshuk shifts into his nayaa ghar

While many stars have had a good time enjoying their holidays during the television strike, Kinshuk Mahajan aka Ranbir of Bidaai has been very busy. He recently bought a flat in Malad and he was busy moving into it.

Kinshuk who has bought a 3 BHK flat in Trinity and he says the flat is too big for him but hopes it will fill up soon, "A 3 BHK flat is quite big for a single person. My parents and younger sister who are now in Delhi will probably shift here once my sister completes her graduation."
The actor arranged a small puja before he officially moved into his home. "Subah greh pravesh tha jisme ki normally ghar ki shuddhi karavaayi jaati hai aur hawan bhi hota hai."

So who all were invited?

"I had arranged the puja in haste. Sab kuch itni jaldi jaldi mein hua kyunki mumma logon ko bhi jaana than a shaam ko toh I couldn't invite anyone," regrets Mahajan.

Kinshuk's parents came from Delhi to help Kinshuk move homes. "My family came on November 7th to help me settle into my new home. Unke aane se mujhe bahot help mil gayi, warna poore ghar ka sab kuch akele sambhalna bahot mushkil ho jaata. They went back to Delhi yesterday. Luckily they came one day before the strike started and they left one day after it ended. I really thank God for this!"

He wanted to invite his friends especially close friends from Bidaai but couldn't do so as his parents had to return back to Delhi.

"My mom is an excellent cook. So I wanted to keep a barbeque kind of thing on my terrace where I wanted ki meri mumma ke haath ka banaya hua khaana ho. But I am sure I will have it next time when she's here," hopes the young lad.

Describing his house, Kinshuk says he has roped in friend and co-star Angad to help with the interiors. As of now Mahajan has arranged for basic necessities and presently he is concentrating on his room, "I'll be very particular about the lights to be used and I am getting a LCD projector for my room next week."

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/November/News_20081121_109

• Vandana Shukla, Hill Road Media
  • Friday, November 21, 2008

• https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1079667

Edited by pinkykhan - 15 years ago
    ANJANA thumbnail
    Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
    Still no new episodes on television

After having been on strike for a month, FWICE (Federation of Western India Cine Employees) arrived on a decision on November 19, where they signed an agreement which was said to have satisfied all parties. But it looks like one part of the production line up is not happy. Yesterday sound recorders went on a strike followed by other parts of the production line up who have also gone on strike today.

What this means is you and I won't see new episodes on Monday as was previously expected.

"It's not possible to telecast new episodes from next week now as the strike has taken a different turn. We just hope it gets over very soon. Everyone has suffered major losses through all this time," says producer Ratna Sinha.

The strike which first began on October 1st was announced by junior artists including the technicians who were demanding a hike in their salaries. This was followed by producers who went on strike from October 19th as they felt that the channels and the production houses couldn't arrive at new rates.

Slowly and steadily the strike began to gain momentum and channels began to run out of fresh content. As a result from November 9th there was a complete blackout on Indian television. Finally on November 19th, FWICE signed an agreement on Wednesday which had all the clauses and the increased pay of the people. It was then decided that shooting would start from the very next day (November 20th) and from Monday fresh episodes will be shown.

But soon after this, sound recorders opposed the clauses decided for them and went on a strike for one day on 20th and while that came to an end in the evening itself, now another fraction of the production set up have called a strike.

But some production houses who are losing money every day refuse to be a part of this strike. "The main body is the Federation. When that has decided on something then no one can stop us from shooting. I am just waiting for all my artists to come back from their break. Most probably we'll start shooting from tomorrow," says producer Rajan Sahi.

Another meeting between the Producers and the Federation is expected late this evening.
    niveditha thumbnail
    Bidaai stars honoured

The four young leads of Bidaai - Sara Khan, Parul Chauhan, Angad Hasija and Kinshuk Mahajan - were honoured by kids of St. Rock High School yesterday. The award was given to acknowledge their success in the world of television at such a young age.

"We went there on Friday for school function where they honoured all four of us for achieving success at early age. It was a lot of fun .There were few performances also like a few kids performed on a song. They also performed a drama for us," informs Sara.
    "Then after performances got over they called us on stage and gave us gifts and flowers. We too distributed prizes to kids. We all gave small speeches'however as soon as I started talking kids were screaming and then asked me where is Ali. I was so amazed with that they knew everything about me. It was good experience; it reminded me of my school," adds the young actress.

Talking about her school memories as a kid she says, "I was never a quiet student. I was naughtiest girl in my class. I used to do lots of masti and also got a lot of punishments for that. I was very talkative person and my teacher always used to throw me out of the class for that!"

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/November/News_20081122_120

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1080057

--Pinky-- thumbnail

Sara Khan was one person who made the most of the strike in the TV industry. Initially, Sara took her boyfriend Ali Merchant to meet her parents in Bhopal. However, things didn't go as planned for the actress and the visit turned out to be a short one as she had to rush back to Mumbai. The duo have been roped into Nach Baliye as a wild card entry. Giving them company on the stage will be the other wild card entry couple Juhi Parmar and Sachin Shroff. Now, this is an opportunity for the girls to shed the sari clad bahu image and reveal their real personalities.
    https://www.deccanchronicle.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#Sara%20back%20in%20Nach

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1080041

--Pinky-- thumbnail

Bidaai leads felicitated..

The lead actors of Rajan Shahi's Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai had a gala time as the kids of St. Rock's School felicitated them ..

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1080358

--Pinky-- thumbnail
    Maha Move!

TV producers set to leave Maharashtra and shoot in other states, even as viewers tire of watching re-runs, TRPs dip and losses mount

By Subhash K Jha and Runna Ashish Bhutda
    Posted On Sunday, November 23, 2008

Television viewers are tired of seeing TV serials characters going through all the motions and machinations again, in re-runs of soaps. TRPs have dipped dangerously (see box), revenues may dip too. The industry is in serious trouble.

And so the television workers' strike now threatens to have graver repercussions than one would have envisaged. Faced by a no-show situation for weeks now due to the deadlock, producers have now decided to shoot their serials outside Maharashtra - in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka Delhi and West Bengal.

Broadcasters and producers have held closed-door meetings to examine the possibility of shooting serials in other states. Says a highly placed source from the television industry, "How long can the channels go without fresh inputs? Broadcasters are seriously looking at options of shooting serials outside Western India. This is our only option. The viewers are getting restless. The advertisers are also getting restless. Everyone thought that the strike would last a week at the most. But now when it's showing no sign of ending, an alternative crisis management plan is being formulated."

Uday Shankar, CEO Star India, said, "Even if the strike ends today, it will take ten days for fresh transmission to resume. The TV industry is in a terrible crisis."

What about the losses in revenues? One broadcaster says, "That's another battle waiting for us. We had requested advertisers not to put pressure on us. So far they've been very civil. They've neither asked for compensation nor refunds."

The situation, Uday Shankar admits, is now more tangled than before. "It's been almost two weeks. The pipeline has run completely dry. We broadcasters are very badly hit. Viewers are getting withdrawal symptoms. Advertisers' campaign plans are getting disrupted. The ordinary workers are losing wages."

Adding to the problem is the fact that TV software producers are terribly disorganised. Says a channel head, "Audiences get emotionally involved with the story of the soaps. If they lose thread it will be very hard to wean them back. We will have to start shooting in other states. The obvious choices are Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh Kolkata and Delhi which have a developed television industry. The whole television industry in Maharashtra will get fragmented. For producers who are making multiple serials this arrangement will be hell. But we have to make the best of a bad situation."

Albert Almeida, Business Head Sony TV, said, "The demands are untenable. If they continue to make their demands unviable and unreasonable, our reaction would need to be equally so."

Losses Incurred
    1. At any given time, monthly rentals for a set range between Rs 7-8 lakh. There are about 75 to 80 sets in Mumbai. So the cumulative expenditure on rentals is estimated at Rs 5 to 6 crore. Producers are paying this rent without shooting.

2. For a single show, a producer has to pay salaries that amount to about Rs 5 lakh. For 100 shows, it would mean an expenditure of about Rs 5 crore.

3. To date, the TV industry has been losing Rs 12-15 crore profit on serials, per month

Source:MumbaiMirror

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1080495

niveditha thumbnail
    Lovers Sara and Ali holiday together

Ali Merchant and Sara Khan made best use of their holidays thanks to the television strike. The couple first went to Sara Khan's hometown Bhopal and then to Goa with friends.
    "Most of the actors did not miss this chance to go their home towns after a long gap. Normally in our hectic schedules we did not get that much time. Ali used to tease me that I come from village and this and that so I wanted to take him there and show that Bhopal is not village! And thanks to these holidays I got this chance," reveals Sara.
    Sara says that Ali had great time with Sara's family.

"It was a nice short tour of four days. I showed him my birth place, toys, bedroom, my school, classroom where I spent my most of the time. I introduced him to my childhood friends and we went to my college from where I completing my graduation. We went to a local market and so many other places'it was nostalgic for me and finally now he has agreed that Bhopal is not a village! In fact he loved the place and my parents also liked him a lot," says the happy actress.

Last week the duo also went to Goa." After Bhopal we went to Goa with all our friends. Goa is a very beautiful place. Jay Bhanushali, Manish Raisinghania, Jatin Shah and Priya Bhatija were all there with us and we had lots of fun."

"However now I am feeling that I have had enough of holidays! I am getting bored and want to get back to work. Everyday we get message for next day's call time and then in the morning we get a message that it has been cancelled. I really hope work begins soon," hopes Sara.

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/November/News_20081124_129

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1080732