Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 15 years ago
Parul's new passion: her car

Last week Parul Chauhan bought a car. This week she's learning how to drive it.

"I joined driving classes earlier," says Parul, who plays Ragini in Bidaai (Star Plus), "but I went there just for a day. I couldn't spare the time from work."

But with the television industry on strike and no work happening, she thinks she just might have the chance to learn this new skill.
"I have really wanted to learn it since a long time because I think this is something everyone should know," says Parul. Her new car is a red Hyundai i-10 and she's being taught how to drive by her driver.

She prefers to practice for a couple of hours every evening, going out from 4 and returning at 6. She drives in the suburb of Bhayander, which has roads that are deserted at that hour.

Parul says she's learnt how to ride a two-wheeler but a car is something new.

"I've learnt how to ride a Scooty but this is much more fun," she says.

It has been 4 days now since she has been learning to drive and she says she'll crack it in another week.

We wish all the best, Parul.

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/November/News_20081118_93

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1078563

Edited by pinkykhan - 15 years ago
ANJANA thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Telly's top 10
Over the past week, the Indian couch potato has been battling depression. The dispute between the Film and Television Producers Association and the Federation of Cine Workers over increased wages has meant the blackout of television shows across all entertainment channels. All this has hit the viewer very hard ' a saas-bahu soap lover in Mumbai has reportedly even given up on food while another is offering prayers at various temples every day! t2 lists the 10 most popular shows that the viewer has been forced to do without...

1. Balika Vadhu (Colors)

This Colors flagship show set a record of sorts, zooming to the top of the charts within 12 weeks of being on air. A daily fixture for many, Balika Vadhu traces the trials and tribulations of child bride Anandi who is married at age eight and plunges into an unfamiliar life.

Launched with a TVR of 0.7 on the day Colors beamed into households, its viewership has grown with every episode. In September, its TVR rose from 2.9 to 6.8, making it one of the few shows to have taken such a huge leap in such short time. According to TAM ratings for the week ending November 1, Balika Vadhu is the most watched show on television, with a TVR of 5.42. It has played a key role in helping Colors give STAR Plus a run for its long-enjoyed numero uno position. Today, the Balika Vadhu phenomenon has made celebrities out of child stars Avika Gor and Avinash Mukherjee, with industry pundits hailing the response as an indicator of the audience's changing (read non-saas-bahu) preferences. Even the reruns during the strike have people tuning in! "With Balika Vadhu, we are striving to give the audience something fresh and unexplored while working within the same boundaries. The show entertains even as it delves deep into a social issue like child marriage. The strong subject has been accentuated by superlative performances," says Ashwini Yardi, programming head, Colors.

Viewerspeak: "My entire family is hooked to Balika Vadhu. Simple and unpretentious, the serial gives us a break from the ostentatious and OTT saas-bahu dramas. The strike has hit us hard. Even my seven-year-old nephew keeps asking why we aren't watching the serial anymore," says college student Mansi Shah, 21.

2. Bidaai (STAR Plus)

The story of two inseparable sisters with conflicting fortunes who are compelled to chart out their individual destinies, the year-old Bidaai came at a time when viewers were looking for hatke content. Bidaai didn't turn out to be too hatke, but the identifiable characters and slice-of-life situations struck a chord. New faces Sara Khan and Parul Chauhan invaded Indian living rooms and Bidaai ruled the TRP charts for months, till Balika Vadhu ended its dream run a few weeks ago. Despite that, Bidaai loyalists have ensured a consistently high TVR for their favourite daily. In the week ending November 1, Bidaai recorded a TVR of 4.87. "When we started Bidaai we had no idea that it would be so big so soon. From grandmas to college students, Bidaai has become a part of many peoples' lives. Its growing popularity has compelled the channel to increase its half-hour slot to an hour-long one. That's probably a first for Indian television," says Rajan Shahi, producer and series director of Bidaai.

Viewerspeak: "I have never been a soap-watcher, but then I never missed a single episode of Bidaai before the strike. Bidaai is a must-see for its credible characters and simplicity of plot and treatment. I want it back on air soon!" says 32-year-old finance executive Ruchika Raina.

3. Jai Shri Krishna (Colors)

Mythology has always been huge on Indian television and Jai Shri Krishna seems set to follow the Ramayan-Mahabharat success story. The story of Lord Krishna's childhood, the show has nothing that one hasn't seen or heard before, but its following ' among the young and the old alike ' is to be seen to be believed. "The presence of a lovable child god makes the show popular. A large number of kids watch it and its universal appeal ensures that adults tune in too," says Yardi of Colors. The latest TAM ratings put Jai Shri Krishna at the number three position with a TVR of 3.25.

Viewerspeak: "Jai Shri Krishna reminds me of my childhood days when Ramayan and Mahabharat were a must-watch. The kid who plays Krishna is very cute. My three-year-old tries to pinch his cheeks whenever the show is on air! I don't even mind watching the reruns," says homemaker Ratna Saha, 30.

4. Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat (STAR Plus)

The story of a young prince who falls in love with a maid working in his palace has all the ingredients for a small-screen blockbuster. The year-old show with its Mills and Boon overtones has its predominantly female audience hooked. Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat is one of STAR Plus's major revenue earners with a TVR rating in the region of 2.5 to 3. Lead Anjali Abrol is a household name. "A simple story and lack of gimmicks contributes to its popularity," says producer Richa Sharma.

Viewerspeak: "The show is a topic of discussion in my kitty parties. With the strike on, I feel I haven't watched it for years," says schoolteacher Santwana Ghosh.

5. Kasamh Se (Zee TV)

Ekta Kapoor may be facing rough weather with many of her shows, but Kasamh Se has given her a lot to smile about. A Zee TV biggie, Kasamh Se deals with the changing equations between three sisters complete with the staples ' bitching and back stabbing, murder and malice ' that go into making a Balaji blockbuster. Over the past year, Kasamh Se has been a regular on the TRP charts with a TVR hovering between 2 and 2.5. The serial also gave Bollywood a fresh new face, Prachi Rock On Desai. "Kasamh Se works because every episode throws up something new. The audience is kept engaged all the time," says actor Ram Kapoor, who plays the pivotal role of businessman Jai Walia.

Viewerspeak: "Our entire family comes together to watch Kasamh Se. Despite its long run, the show has never been boring. The strike couldn't have come at a worse time because Kasamh Se is poised at a very interesting stage," says PR executive Nayantara Chakraborty.

6. Kis Desh Mein Hai Meraa Dil (STAR Plus)

Colors may have taken some of the sheen off its armour, but STAR Plus still boasts of some of the most popular shows on Indian television. Ekta Kapoor's Kis Desh Mein Hai Meraa Dil is particularly popular among young people, if the fan groups on Facebook and Orkut are anything to go by. A family drama centred on the Prem-Heer love story, KDMHMD recorded a TVR of 2.38 on the TAM charts for the week ending November 1.

Viewerspeak: "Kis Desh' has a believable storyline and the characters seem like the people we would meet in our daily lives. I hope the strike lifts soon because that's the only show I watch on television," says marketing professional Sanjukta Banerjee.

7. Nach Baliye 4 (STAR Plus)

On the Indian telly, nothing quite succeeds like reality shows. Especially if it has anything to do with small screen celebs shaking a leg, real time. The three seasons of Nach Baliye have been smash hits and edition 4 'even if it is early days yet ' seems to be a winner already. Having broken into the top 10 TAM ratings in only its second week, Nach Baliye 4 has its viewership growing by the day. "Nach Baliye works for the celebrity quotient, the high-calibre dancing, the jodi romance and story progression," says Anupama Mandloi, senior creative director, STAR India Ltd. The presence of a dishy Arjun Rampal and a still-hot Karisma Kapoor means ample eye candy, ensuring a consistent TVR rating of 2+ for this Friday-Saturday dance show.

Viewerspeak: "My mom and I have been huge Nach Baliye fans from season one. The new twists and turns in the format this time around have made the show even more interesting. We were looking forward to the next episode which was to unveil the wild card entry," says mass communications student Minakshi Sinha.

8. Maayka (Zee TV)

Coming up with a show that spoke to women about their Maayka was a masterstroke on the part of its producers. Maayka may not have much to offer in terms of novelty, but the show's consistent showing on the TRP charts speaks of its popularity. Recording a healthy TVR rating of 2+ on most weeks, Maayka has played a key role in helping Zee TV remain a frontrunner in the TRP race.

Viewerspeak: "As a married woman, I can identify with the problems that the protagonist Mahi faces," says homemaker Shivangi Surekha, 34.

9. Indian Idol 4 (Sony)

It may still be taking baby steps in its fourth season, but the hugely successful previous editions have ensured that most viewers have been tuning into Indian Idol 4 since Day One. The show that crowns a new singing star every year reportedly recorded 7 crore votes for the season 3 finals! Breaking into the top 10 in its first week, Indian Idol 4 recorded a TVR of 3. "The audience feels a special connect with Indian Idol because the contestants predominantly come from small towns and can be you or me. I feel that Indian Idol is one of the better talent shows around with a credible selection process," says Idol judge Sonali Bendre.

Viewerspeak: "I look forward to the weekend like everyone does, but only to watch Indian Idol. Those two hours of the show on Friday and Saturday is the only time during the week when I watch TV without getting up from my seat even once. The strike has come as a big blow, especially when the subsequent episodes were going to decide the list of the final 15 contest contenders," says college student Ashutosh Bansal.

10. Sa Re Ga Ma Pa (Zee TV)

This one has been going strong for 15 years now. The latest edition ' Challenge 2009 ' has contestants coming from even Pakistan and Dubai with the judging squad comprising music stalwarts Shankar Mahadevan, Pritam and Himesh Reshammiya. Sa Re Ga Ma Pa may not be setting any TRP records, but the show is a huge favourite with the young and old. Calcutta is specially hooked ' city boys Debojit Dutta and Soumen Nandi are going great guns on the show!

Viewerspeak: "My family has been watching Sa Re Ga Ma Pa since its initial days, when Sonu Nigam was the host. The strike has meant no new episodes, but we are enjoying the reruns. The Salman Khan special episode on Saturday night was great fun," says software engineer Subhrajit Roy.

SURVIVING THE STRIKE

Yeh toh sabka boss nikla! Despite the strike, Colors show Bigg Boss ' a popular show with a TVR in the region of 2 ' has continued unabated. With no play-acting or shooting schedules involved, new episodes are being aired everyday direct from the Bigg Boss house in Lonavala. "We couldn't keep the contestants locked up in the house for an indefinite period waiting for the strike to end," says Yardi of Colors. So while the audience has been forced to give their favourite shows a miss, the Rahul-Raja-Ashutosh-Zulfi masti has kept them following Bigg Boss. Not to mention the bootylicious Shilpa Shetty smiling out of that couch! The Bigg Boss ratings are now all set to soar higher before the November 22 finale.

ANJANA thumbnail
Tellytown's young & restless
19 Nov 2008, 0000 hrs IST, AMRITA MULCHANDANI , TNN
Print Email Share Save Comment Text:
The small screen is brimming with fresh lease of talent.
Jay Soni (TOI Photo) More Pics

The new prime time heartthrobs — Sara Khan (18), Sukriti Kandpal (20), Jay Soni (23, Naveena Bole (25), Anjali Abrol (18), Pooja Bose (18), Neil Bhatt (21), Aastha Chaudhury (20), Additi Gupta (19), Harshad Chopra (25) or Vinny Arora (17) et al —are a bunch of mint-fresh youngsters next-door who have grabbed eyeballs and leads in major shows. Lucrative pay cheques, fan mail and fame has become a part of their daily lives even as they sometimes balance college/school and television.

Sara Khan, of Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai appears satisfied with her career. "I always wanted to act and am glad that I am playing a lead character." Is acting just a means to rake in extra bucks for her? "Acting isn't a part time job at all. There are times when we work 24 hours a day," says Sara. Are her parents happy to see their daughter struggling at such a tender age? "My father was a little hesitant when I joined this industry at 16. Today he is proud of me," adds Sara.

All of 20, Sukirti Kandpal from Dill Mill Gayye says, "I joined this industry at 19. My youth hasn't made it difficult for me to work. I think I am lucky, because by the time I turn 24, I can vie for lead roles in films, since I would have honed up my acting skills. Being young has many advantages." So for how long does she plan to act? "I want to act for four-five years. Then I'd like to get married. I also plan to open a chain of spas and NGOs," continues Sukriti.

Added to the fame is a hefty pay package (Rs 12,000 -15,0000 per day) that these actors are offered. Vinny Arora, 17, who acts in Aathvaan Vachan reveals, "My parents still take care of my finances and I get a pocket money as I used to. I am very happy that way." Vinny knows "how to strike a balance between her studies and work" as she regularly goes to college. Actor, Jay Soni from Remote Control and Baali Umar Ko Salaam admits that he became an actor just for fun but with the response he's got he's now serious about acting. "I joined this profession because it gives quick pocket money. Now I know that it also needs lot of hard work. I have become very grounded," he shares.

For some, being on television may be all about money, but for the rest it is fame and the heady addiction of being in front of the camera. Says Naveena Bole from Miley Jab Hum Tum, it isn't just money but fame that counts. "I have wanted to act for a very long time, but my father didn't approve of it. While working at a call centre, I made my own portfolio and approached for work. Somehow I convinced my father that I wouldn't do anything on screen that would embarrass him. Today I can't quit acting, it is very addictive," admits Naveena. So what according to her is the right age to join this industry? "I feel 20 is the right age to enter any profession as one can take correct decisions," she avers.

On the other hand, Saurabh Pandey of Jiya Jale fame says, "I have been very artistic from the beginning — painting, dancing, sculpture making and acting have been my passion. I started acting at 17, but I knew how to manage myself. I love acting. I am here for a long haul, as I hope to get in to films," says this 20 year old who's doing a new show Angad.

Money, fame and adulation can be a heady mix for young actors. And as long as they are able to deliver TRP-topping performances and grab eyeballs, life's one roller-coaster ride for them.
ANJANA thumbnail

Television industry workers' strike called off

Finally, some good news for avid television viewers. Now, you will not be forced to watch the repeat telecast of your favourite serials, as the industry workers have called of their strike.

"All the disputes between workers and producers have been settled and we are signing an agreement," Vice President of Indian Motion Picture Producers' Association (IMPPA) Shushma Shiromani told PTI.

Confirming an end to the 10-day stand-off between workers and producers, Federation of Western Cine Employees (FWICE) chief Dharmesh Tiwari said that the agreement details would be revealed later.

In the backdrop of the dispute between TV workers and the producers, producers and broadcasters met up to reach a consensus, following which the strike was called off. FWICE had called for the strike, demanding higher wages, better work conditions and more breaks between shoots.

The strike impacted television serials and forced channels to begin repeat telecasts from November 10.

http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2008/nov/19tv-strike-called-off.htm
ANJANA thumbnail
https://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k8/nov/fwice_mou.htm
This is the link to see the Mou B/w Producers and Workers

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1078959

ANJANA thumbnail
Strike Called Off

After 10 days, the producers' strike has finally been called off. And all telly fans can heave a sigh of relief, as the production houses will resume filming tonight itself so that fresh episodes can be aired from Monday onwards. We spoke to the vice president of the producer's association, Dheeraj Kumar, who heads Creative Eye a production house.

"For us the first good news is that the strike has been called off with appropriate decision. There were two worker unions involved in this issue. And now everyone have agreed over two things - job security meaning they will get insurance facilities as well as the fact that they will be under a one month contract which was not the case initially. Earlier they used to loose their jobs in 4-5 days without any notice or anything. However this will not happen after they will sign the contract," informs Dheeraj.

"Second thing is the hike issue. Now we have spoken to them about the current economical situation and they have agreed on a small rise in the percentage of hikes which will be 10 to 15 %," adds Kumar.

"The next issue was that the producers wanted a hike in their contract price from channels as well. So now an agreement has been brought about where they will first reduce their production cost … like if one episode was taking 3 days to shoot now the production house will try to finish that episode in one and half day so that is how they themselves will not face any burden and they will not ask for more money to broadcasters also."

The shooting for all the shows will start from tomorrow (Thursday November 20) and the channels will air new episodes from Monday (November 24).
http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/November/News_20081119_100
ANJANA thumbnail
Couch potatoes all cheered up as TV workers end strike

Spicezee bureau

Mumbai, Nov 19: After days of watching the re-runs of popular TV soaps, there is good news for telly fans. The labour dispute that sent the nation's mega bucks churning entertainment industry into turmoil with TV artists and technicians going on an indefinite strike is over and resolved.

The strike that brought the life of all small screen buffs to a standstill is now history as it has been amicably resolved after 'healthy negotiations' between TV channels and the workers' association.

However, it took weeks of talks and deliberations for the two sides to sit across and reach a consensus.

The strike that forced the channels to press the rewind buttons of their top TRP garnering shows had not only sent the audiences into flashback but has also hit the bottomline of production companies and TV channels.

"All the disputes between workers and producers have been settled and we are signing an agreement," Vice President of Indian Motion Picture Producers' Association (IMPPA), Shushma Shiromani told reporters.

The artists' demands of an increase in their remuneration and better privileges have been met with a positive nod by the channels. Though the details of the compromise still remain unknown, for now it's time to relish the good news.

So here's wishing all you couch potatoes a happy telly watch
--Pinky-- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

It's Bye-Bye to Strike...

Finally the 10 day long TV strike has been called off. And fresh episodes will be aired from the coming week...

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1079014

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Stars back to work after a long break

The stars have gotten a long break thanks to the strike that started on the 1st of November. And while they had a good time, it's back to work for most now. But after all the relaxing and fun, many are finding it hard getting back into work mode (with extra hours to make up for lost time!) We caught up with a few stars to get their take on getting back to the grind.

Kinshuk Mahajan (Ranbir of Bidaai) :

Kinshuk recently bought a flat in Malad and spent most of his free time doing it up. He though is happy to get back to work and says, "It's great to get back to work after so many days. We used to shoot for 13-14 hours a day before but I'm sure we will have to increase the hours now." When he gets back the first thing he wants to do is show his co-stars how much he missed them. He says, "I'm going to hug all of them! Aur hamare set par jo mandir hai wahaan pray karoonga."

Smita Bansal (Sumitra in Balika) :

Smita is looking forward to working again and the drive home from the studios. She says, "I missed driving from my home to Vasai, where the sets are." Smita thinks that everyone is happy that the strike has come to an end and hopes that the work load won't increase too much. She says, "Considering the strike took place for an official reason I don't think our workload will increase too much."

Shubhangi Atre (Kasturi of Kasturi) :

Shubhangi feels that it will be a bit odd to face the camera after so many days and that it might take some time to get used to it again. However, she's sure that she won't have any problems of going back to memorizing lines. Shubhangi is really looking forward to getting back to work and says, "I've missed acting, especially the emotional scenes."

Siddharth Shukla (Shubh in Babul Ka Aangan) :

Siddharth made the most of the break by traveling and enjoying with his friends. But, he's done with that now and he can't wait to get back to the tight schedule and reciting lines. He says, "I'm really looking forward to facing the camera again. It's been a long time!" Although he says it will seem strange at first he's confident that things will be back to normal in a 2-3 days.

Avinash Mukherjee (Jagdish of Balika):

Avinash had the time to catch up with his friends and even attend school regularly! But, he missed shooting and is sure that he won't have a problem facing the camera again. He says, "Ek rehearsal karoonga fir koi problem nahi hogi. Script ke dialogues class ke lessons se easy hain, buss ek baar padho aura a jaate hain."

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/November/News_20081120_103

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1079290

--Pinky-- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Strike off, TV serials return
Die-hard addicts of TV can look forward to their daily fix once again as entertainment channels get ready to resume airing new episodes in a few days after a hiatus of more than a week.

On Wednesday, TV workers called off a strike — that started on November 10 — demanding higher wages and better working conditions after reaching an understanding with producers, who will resume shooting on Thursday.

"We are delighted that the parties have found a resolution," the broadcasters said in a joint statement. "We will now meet with our producers and start production immediately. It will take a few days though for us to get back on air."

After a month-long dispute, producers and the Federation of Western Cine Employees agreed that those in low-wage brackets would get higher pay, but there would be no increase for those at higher levels, said J.D. Majethia, producer of the show Baa, Bahoo aur Baby.

Iqbal Khan, who plays the lead role in Zee TV's Waaris, is ready to report to work at 9 am on Thursday. "I am so relieved the strike is over."

"The broadcasters' re-run decision gave us time to work on our scripts," said Rajan Shahi, producer of Star Plus's Bidaai, which will also resume shooting Thursday morning.

https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1079224