Muslims/Paki abroad and Dress Dilemma!

RedButterfLy thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Hey guyz! As a person growing up in US, as a girl, it has always been very difficult for me to find decent clothing that will fit into area of both worlds ( east and west)... and It had always been ( and still is ) hard to find clothes that not only satisfy me but my parents as well especially when in the summer!...

I mean lets face it I love shalwar kamiz.. but going to college in shalwar kamiz is a little out of question, my parents are a little strict when it comes to my dressing, but God its just soooooooooo annoying going to mall and trying to find a shirt which is long enough to hide my @$$ !!

When I went to pak last time.. I couldn't find in between clothes... it was either shalwar kamiz or too much skin showing shirts.. so I took pieces of cloth and tried to make shirts.. unfortunately it didn't come out the way I wanted it to be =(

I really wish we had special boutique in Pak or here which is trendy/stylish but in limits at the same time. what are your thoughts about this matter???

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sumai026 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
i know what you mean
it can be difficult at times trying to find the right sort of clothes that you would prefer to wear
amy22 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Check out this topic. We had a detailed discussio here. you can go on on that thread if you like cuz there are a lot of posts already.

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=636086
amy22 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Now, coming o your topic, that's very true. My parents were also very strict but nowI, myself, look for clothes that are decent and do not go against Islamic laws.

But yes, it really is very hard... but if you ave you ownclothesamde in Pakistan, they never come out the way clothes in the west are.

But you know, nowadays these long shirts are in trend, so I suggest you, go to H&M or Mango. these two have real good long shirts for the summer.

aisha92 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
ya i face da same prob........i can rarely ever find sumthin decent 2 wear nowadays. Its always, either da sleeves r 2 short, da tops 2 tight and da list goes on.....

n ya my parents r also qutie strict abt da way i dress.........but i think dat parents shud do dat so dat we follow our religion also.

n lyk amy22 sed, long tops r realy in fashion nw.....so dats ok 4 now. But even if da tops r long..........then da sleeves r 2 short 😆 😆 ........but many ppl jus wear anotha top underneath wid full sleeves 😆
noorejahaan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
omg..especially when ur looking for formal clothes, it's imposssible to find something decent! so sometimes i just end up wearing a sleeveless top with another shirt underneath..it looks cute, actually! 😳
mini2390 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
i understand wat u mean! i too face this dilemma... its very impossible to find sumthing decent to wear in stores all over! even though nowadyas long tops r in, finding decent long tops is way out of reach!

but if u noticed, nowadays kurthas can also be found in simple clothing stores! i go to stores for girls and find a lot of kurthas all around nowadays!! mostly, those stores that are not filled wid branded clothing, have a lot of kurthas everywhere.... so i mostly find kurthas hanging in a lot of stores and just buy those!

sumtimes, i even where a kameez, that arent too long, on top of my pants/jeans and go to school/stores! it luks very nice!.. so sumtimes, one has to think themselves as to how they can make sumthing luk decent and worth wearing in a unique way! 😊
Edited by mini2390 - 17 years ago
anees69 thumbnail
I love my cultural dress, mostly I wear shalwar kameez except in my working hours. Some Pakistani dont want to wear shalwar kameez because they fell inferiority complex. So I am very wondering for these peoples they forgot their culture and customs.
isha1022 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I live in USA I never find it difficult finding clothes to wear... I wear mixture of both... I don't mind weraing shalwar kamiz or pant shirt here... btw when ever i wear shalwar kamiz people says it look really nice
RedButterfLy thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: anees69

I love my cultural dress, mostly I wear shalwar kameez except in my working hours. Some Pakistani dont want to wear shalwar kameez because they fell inferiority complex. So I am very wondering for these peoples they forgot their culture and customs.

NO its not about inferiority complex at all.. I love shalwar kamiz! and I dont think it will make me inferior but as the saying goes "jaisa des waisa bhais" ... seriously speaking If I wear shalwar kamzi I dont think I will be able to find a job in a corporate world here in nyc! and I show my pride when I have to.. especially in cultural shows that we have through out the college year