The word "Paki"

Poll

Does the word "PAKI" sounds offending?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
RedButterfLy thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Hey Guyz... I was talking to a friend the other day and I kept on saying "paki clothes" "paki music" and she told me oh dont say this word "paki" say it complete "pakistanis" .. so I was a little confused, I am a pakistani myself.. I dunno how this word "PAKI" can offend someone? I dont get it.. does any one know why it could be offending??
Edited by RedButterfLy - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

srkangel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
oh yeah i heard something like that too it is no offending here but in UK some racist jerks use the "PAKI" as in racist comment but i don't think pakistani should be offended by it cause we are paki but india and other desi people do get offended when somebody calls them PAKI
mimarain thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
because some pakistani will thinks that if someone says them paki then they think that they being abused by (being paki that is a racism for them)... but i am a pakistani.. live in U.S and i really do not mind or care who calls me by which name
cuteabs thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
yeah it is offending
paki means a pig and i m sure no one would like to be called a pig.
no offence to anyone's thinking
zaara006 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
its really a difficult topic!!!!!! its like sum people won't feel offended when the word 'paki' is mentioned, sum will, it depends on the individual!

its just like sum people call each other 'niggers' when they are with people they know..... but will get offended when an outsider says this word to them.

to me it depends on the context of the word, what the person who is saying it means by it.
Edited by zaara006 - 17 years ago
ajnabi143 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
well i never knew that... I don't mind people calling me paki.
modishh thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
i am not offended by it...PAKI is just a short form used for pakistani
KKAA thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
i dont really care....but if sumbody callss me tht and be like some raiciset than tht can bee....but f it juzt like friendly i really dont mind
mini2390 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
its a term used in Britain , and YES, IN AN OFFENIVE WAY!... there, its used for every South Asian, not just us! (i.e. Pakistanis, Indians, and Bangladeshis)... its really something that they use in a negative manner... and if u really notice it, ppl in the USA dont really refer pakistanis as pakis... and if they do, they dont really do it in an offensive way, as this has been started from the UK! my cousin, who lives in London(Eng) says that wen ppl say 'paki' they say it in an offensive way !

if u remember, shilpa shetty went for a show in England, called "big brother"... there she was referred to as "paki" by her fellow British contestant once, and a mess was created, and she isnt Pakistani! it was stated in an offensive manner and everyone there in specific knows that it is a bit offensive! just like stating "nigger" in front of an African American... they will not like it.... unless their ur close friend or something, otehrwise its an offensive term for them!

in other words... i would say, that if u say "paki" in front of ur own pakistani friends, its okay... but its better not to mention it in front of anyone else..... as if it gets said by many ppl, it can be used in negative ways on purpose just to offend others!
Alisha_askim thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
yes here in german PAKI means likee heyy gande you know my friends told mee to plzz dont use the word and i was confused but it is true lekinnmujhe khud bura nahi lagta ke koi mujhe paki kahe lekin agar us tarike ke saat kehte too lagta !!!!!!!!!!!!